PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Goldwing thoughts and observations

STRaider
06-18-2019, 10:15 PM
For those of you that have done research on this, you've probably heard most of these comments already. I purchased a 2018 Goldwing DCT about two weeks before going on a ride with several friends from the Metromess in Texas to Seattle. I had some reservations about any more group rides in another thread, but this was planned a while ago, and I wanted to go, so anywho...

My first thoughts on the Goldwing while looking at the one I purchased was the reduced luggage capacity. For a trip this long, there is definitely not much space to pack everything for an almost two week trip, especially if two up. At the time I was looking, I didn't realize the bike already had a Pakit Rak. I wasn't crazy about this initially, but I can say it is an excellent solution for the lack of storage built into the bike. You don't know it's there while riding and it is easy to load and unload the bag. I put a padlock on the hitch and just left that on at night.

The DCT is amazing. I really didn't ride the bike much before I left, but the DCT is excellent. While touring and driving long stretches, you obviously don't appreciate it as much, but in traffic, I absolutely love it. The ability to switch gears with levers is nice, but I found I didn't use it much other than playing with it to try it out. Of course, the cruise control is awesome.

The Apple CarPlay is a nice feature, but buggy as hell, and I never quite figured out what would make it work each and every time. I had to unplug the phone and replug often. It seems you cannot switch back from the bike's gps to the apple carplay gps, as one will drop off. I used both. The Apple Carplay requires a helmet speaker to connect, and if your battery runs out on your helmet, you can't just flip to the bikes gps. You have to stop the bike to set the built in gps. Also, I could not get POI's to show up on the Honda GPS. I had a very difficult time to get siri to understand what I was saying through my helmet mic, but it did work a few times. Listening to texts while driving is nice, but answering, again, was difficult.

The SPORT Mode is incredible. I generally just left the bike in TOUR mode, but occassionally when feeling froggy would put the bike in SPORT mode and let the big cat eat. This bike has all the power I need and proved a lot of fun if you want to get the adrenaline going.

It was great to have an electric windshield again. One of the best features available on a bike, IMO.

The bike I bought came with grip puppies on it, so the heated grips worked, but it took a while to feel them, but that not a mark against Honda. I like the grip puppies, so I will accept the delay in heat. This bike came with a corbin fire and ice seat, and the heated part worked well. We were lucky enough to have cool to cold weather, so no comments on the cooling function yet.

The bike also has the Rivco highway pegs, and these work really well.

The sound of this bike is different, it almost sounds like it's working harder, but that is the sound of the DCT I'm sure. I checked the oil and wasn't using any up at all. This thing is Honda smooth. I like the front suspension. I thought this bike cornered great in all the twisties we rode. I was very confident with the front end.

Some of the guys I was with called it a scooter. One day, one asked me how it was running, and I told him if he could keep up with it, he would know.

All in all, I am very pleased with the bike. I rode about 2400 miles and felt great at the end of the trip.

Joflewbyu2
06-19-2019, 07:03 AM
Good review. I am getting closer as the discounts keep climbing on the leftover 18s. Found a used DCT with less than a 1,000 miles for $17k. Just need to get over the front suspension and the wonky GPS which I wish was not built in.

STRaider
06-27-2019, 07:16 PM
That's a good price, Jo. I just made a route on the Honda website for my return trip on August. That's a nice feature, and the large screen is nice. All the conveniences you can use as you choose, but I will say I am very happy to have abs on what will now be the bike I ride the most.

I still have the f6b, and still really like it. I've ridden that f6b to Colorado twice, and multiple shorter trips, day rides, etc, and have not had an issue with the brakes (except an annoying squeak I can't get rid of), but I still prefer having abs.

Verismo
06-27-2019, 10:36 PM
except an annoying squeak I can't get rid of)

I have it, too, ST! Although I haven't tried to get rid of it. Pads look good so I just leave it. Only really notice it in slow traffic or a parking garage.

Jason

STRaider
06-28-2019, 07:38 AM
I have it, too, ST! Although I haven't tried to get rid of it. Pads look good so I just leave it. Only really notice it in slow traffic or a parking garage.

Jason

I changed my pads when the old ones still had good pad left, have sanded my rotors, lubed all parts in caliper, and still have the squeak. I have a buddy with an f6b and his never squeaks.

tenxxx
06-28-2019, 08:04 AM
you can try and bevel the leading edge of the pads.
We used to have to do this to the brake shoes on cars. There was a special machine made for it.

Verismo
06-28-2019, 06:14 PM
I changed my pads when the old ones still had good pad left, have sanded my rotors, lubed all parts in caliper, and still have the squeak. I have a buddy with an f6b and his never squeaks.

Dang you've put in some work! I don't really know what causes it so I don't know how to fix it. It doesn't really bother me, but it's interesting to know that I'm not the only one.

Jason

wjduke
06-28-2019, 06:44 PM
Mine has it too. 2016 I bought used with 7,700. I now have a little over 9,000 and they squeak just a little, mostly just before a full stop.

Meanie97
10-29-2019, 11:53 AM
Mine has it too. 2016 I bought used with 7,700. I now have a little over 9,000 and they squeak just a little, mostly just before a full stop.

I'm hardly ever on here but, try putting a silicone based brake paste on the back of the pads. I work at Volvo and part # 1161688 works great I've had several new Harleys that had a high pitched noise and I put the paste on the back of the pads and never heard a noise again.

Good luck

Verismo
10-29-2019, 04:49 PM
I'm hardly ever on here but, try putting a silicone based brake paste on the back of the pads. I work at Volvo and part # 1161688 works great I've had several new Harleys that had a high pitched noise and I put the paste on the back of the pads and never heard a noise again.

Good luck

Thanks for the tip, Meanie, I'll give that a shot, but what do you mean back of the pads? As in the part of the pads not in contact with the rotor, but seated in the caliper?

Jason

2013f6b
01-25-2020, 02:05 PM
I sold my 2013 F6b and purchased the 2018 Goldwing.I put 55000 miles on the F6B,replaced tires about every 10,000,put 2 set of brake pads F&R.My new
Goldwing got less less than 6305 miles on the front and 7593 out of the rear the first time,second time replaced both at 13960 miles.Front brakes replaced at 16348 miles,the linked brake pad was metal to metal.I love the bike,but for a bike that is lighter it sure eats tires and brakes worse than my F6B. Anyone else experiencing these problems?

F6Dave
01-28-2020, 09:02 AM
I sold my 2013 F6b and purchased the 2018 Goldwing.I put 55000 miles on the F6B,replaced tires about every 10,000,put 2 set of brake pads F&R.My new
Goldwing got less less than 6305 miles on the front and 7593 out of the rear the first time,second time replaced both at 13960 miles.Front brakes replaced at 16348 miles,the linked brake pad was metal to metal.I love the bike,but for a bike that is lighter it sure eats tires and brakes worse than my F6B. Anyone else experiencing these problems?

What are the OEM tires Honda installs? And, are alternatives available? For a lighter bike with similar power compared to the F6B those are disappointing mileage numbers.

Having said that, before I bought my first Valkyrie I rarely got more than 6 or 7 thousand miles out of a rear tire. I was pleasantly surprised to easily put 10,000 or more miles on the Valk's rear, especially when running Avons. I suspect the radial construction is a factor.