PDA

View Full Version : Electric bags

2wheelsforme
06-21-2019, 08:03 AM
I sure don't understand this electric saddlebag opening thing to be so great. Yes I know the bags are locked stock and need a key to open but if you do the dummy key and knob for a couple of bucks you eliminate that problem. Yes it looks kool them opening up all by themselves so that is a plus. So with the dummy key in place and another bike with the electric installed both riders walk up to the bike needing into the bags. One has to pull the lever and the other takes his fob out and presses a button, not a huge difference. If leaving the bike locked the keyed bike has to remove the dummy key, not hard and yes the fob guy just walks away so still not a big difference. But something I'm thinking about is you got to remember to bring your fob every time you ride the bike, I'm sure I would fail at that often. You also have to hope the fob battery does not die and it will at some time. Bring an extra fob you say, yep that would be a backup plan. Last week I left my key on while inside a bar and ran my bike battery down to nothing, had to use my battery jump pack in the saddlebags to get started again. Wait if I had electric locks then the bags would not open allowing me to get to my jumper or any tools I had inside. It there a backup plan for a dead bike battery? Am I missing something about why these things are so great? Yes I understand if you have that Corbin Smuggler thing you have lost the levers and need the electric. Where is the scratching head icon?

BIGLRY
06-21-2019, 11:19 AM
https://keyassets-p2.timeincuk.net/wp/prod/wp-content/uploads/sites/29/2015/02/emoticon.jpg

P.Sutton
06-21-2019, 01:55 PM
I love mine. I guess if you have the dummy key it’s not much more effort. I keep the fob attached to my key. I used some heat shrink tubing around it to keep it from rubbing/bouncing on the dash. I do keep a spare key hidden in the bike. I made a dummy key for the glove box and use it for the fuel door too.

What initially prompted me to get the opener was my wife. It would never fail I would be on the bike with it running when she would need to get into the bags. I went from having to shut the bike down and get off to unlock, to simply pushing a button. I even went one step further recently and bought her an Indian scout with her own bags......

2wheelsforme
06-21-2019, 02:48 PM
Keeping it with your key is a good way to make sure it comes along for the ride. I'm guessing heavy rain won't get it wet and kill it, my key sure gets wet sometimes. Keeping it from bouncing as you do it a must. Quote: "I went from having to shut the bike down and get off to unlock, to simply pushing a button." That is comparing the locks to the stock set up, I'm talking about compared to the dummy key which does not require removing the ignition key to open bags. Have you made any plans for what to do with a dead bike battery like I had last week, can't even take the battery cover off without opening the bags. I'm thinking you might need a pig tail from the battery so you can give it a jump if needed. I think the battery tender lead might work for that.

VaBob
06-21-2019, 07:33 PM
Are you thinking about purchasing the MBL saddle bag system? Trying to get us to talk you out of it or something?

2wheelsforme
06-21-2019, 08:02 PM
No not at all. trying to understand why anyone would think it is great to have. I know I do not want it but am amazed when multiple people say they love it or it is the best option that can be purchased when it seams almost useless to me. If I knew the reason I might want it also. I like adding crap on my bike.

P.Sutton
06-21-2019, 10:25 PM
My current solution would be to push start the bike. Shouldn’t take long to find someone willing. I would even say it would be easier than finding someone with cables. Depending on the situation I could probably do it myself. Then a simple button push and I’m in! I do understand it is not a necessity, but for me it works and I am happy with it.

Anyone tried push starting a wing? Am I mistaken in thinking it would be a possibility? I guess a trial run is in order....while I am still young-ish....

Verismo
06-21-2019, 11:52 PM
My current solution would be to push start the bike. Shouldn’t take long to find someone willing. I would even say it would be easier than finding someone with cables. Depending on the situation I could probably do it myself. Then a simple button push and I’m in! I do understand it is not a necessity, but for me it works and I am happy with it.

Anyone tried push starting a wing? Am I mistaken in thinking it would be a possibility? I guess a trial run is in order....while I am still young-ish....

Ooof! Are you talking about pushing it yourself?? I've done that on a few bikes, including an 84 Standard Wing, but I would definitely like a little downhill help to pull it off with the B.

Jason

billsim
06-21-2019, 11:59 PM
Not sure you can push start a fuel injected bike that is dead. Seems the computer needs to tell a lot of systems to go.
Let me know if anyone had done it.

2wheelsforme
06-22-2019, 04:43 AM
My old carbureted Venture would push start with ease with just a few feet of jump. This F6B I could not get it to push start at all with a good bit of roll done alone. Not sure if more help would have worked or not. That is why I now carry a small jump start.

Dweisman429
06-22-2019, 09:47 AM
I would not want the electric openers myself.
For zero dollars and a little time I was able to mod the lock so that I can leave the bags unlocked without the key.

2wheelsforme
06-22-2019, 01:52 PM
Can you still lock them if you wish?

olegoat345
06-22-2019, 01:52 PM
As you can see, they're not for everybody. If you like them buy them...… If you DO NOT like them, don't buy them.
I fail to see your point in starting this thread. Everybody don't think alike & I'm sure glad they don't.

2wheelsforme
06-22-2019, 05:34 PM
Your seeing the point of a thread is not a requirement for a thread. I want to understand why some think they are so wonderful and in reality make little improvement to the way the bags work and even might cause trouble when you experience a dead battery (2 exist) and get locked out of the bags and access to the battery. Food for thought!

VaBob
06-22-2019, 06:08 PM
I have a simple solution about your worry for a dead battery locking you out of your bags.......take your key with you when you leave the bike so that your lights dont stay on.

I dont understand why anyone would leave their key in the ignition while they go eat. But maybe its the latest greatest thing and someone can explain to me why its so great even though it could cause so many problems.

2wheelsforme
06-22-2019, 06:34 PM
I don't have a worry about getting locked out as I don't have them. I almost never lock my bags and seldom even remove the key as it is not needed here. People do not mess with bikes. Forgetting your key or even forgetting to turn it off would be a common thing to happen I would think as it has sure happened to me more than a couple of times. A couple of you seem to get up in arms as if you are under attack, not the case. I guess it needs to drop as no one can say why they are so great. Me, I will continue to hope for the best and prepare for the worst and be ready if I find a dead battery.

billsim
06-22-2019, 11:42 PM
Does each transmitter have a different signal or can one transmitter open all the bags in range?????

Dweisman429
06-23-2019, 07:30 AM
Can you still lock them if you wish?
Absolutely

olegoat345
06-23-2019, 10:50 AM
I like pushing the little button before I get to my bike and watching the bags open, it's neat, like magic...… Folks look at them & wonder, "how did da' happen?" I walk up, say, "howdy" and pull my jacket out. Sometimes we talk for a bit, some times not. The question I most often get ask is, "what kind of bike is that?" Just a "F6B" is not enough...………………… If a dead battery is a concern. Maybe, electric bag locks are not for you.

P.Sutton
06-24-2019, 12:08 PM
I like pushing the little button before I get to my bike and watching the bags open, it's neat, like magic...… Folks look at them & wonder, "how did da' happen?" I walk up, say, "howdy" and pull my jacket out. Sometimes we talk for a bit, some times not. The question I most often get ask is, "what kind of bike is that?" Just a "F6B" is not enough...………………… If a dead battery is a concern. Maybe, electric bag locks are not for you.

While at the Laconia rally a few weeks back I did just that. Saw a guy eyeing my bike as I was walking up and surprised him by hitting the fob in my pocket. He was not nearly as amused as I was.

Most people are really interested in the auto openers when they see them. And it has led to more than a few conversations. I am not offended if you don’t like them.

dustytrader
06-25-2019, 03:29 PM
I'd think you would be more apt to lose the "dummy" key every time you removed it. I think they are the best thing since sliced bread. I leave the key fob on my ignition key so it doesn't get lost. I just went out to start my bike last week and the battery was so dead it wouldn't do anything. No lights, no anything. But the key fob opened both doors. I really thought it was the ignition or something, but replaced the battery and it's all good. It was 7 years old so served it purpose. I have a battery tender hooked up to my battery, so a very slight charge would surely get them open if mine opened with a battery so dead it wouldn't even turn on a dash light. I always hated having to shut off my bike to open the bags, because I will not leave my key in the lock or the ignition in the Denver area. If you feel comfy leaving it in the lock, power to ya. I would say it's no different than buying a car with electric locks, most people want he convenience.

JackB
06-26-2019, 07:25 AM
I have nothing against the electric openers, but I keep the dummy key in and never lock my bags.
I didn't think anyone one knows how to open them even Goldwing owner have asked me how do you open the bags?

Switchmonkey
07-03-2019, 10:23 PM
Wait, what? There’s side bags on this thing?