PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the Windshield

indadman
06-29-2019, 05:39 PM
Does anyone know how to clean the lower part of the windshield without having to dismantle the installation?

olegoat345
06-30-2019, 09:10 AM
NO, you'll have to remove the front cowling
== I wash w/ car wash soap, dry, then wax with my favorite auto wax, same with helmet & face shield. Rain runs right off, bugs EZ to get off too... Been doing it since the 1960's

opas ride
06-30-2019, 05:19 PM
Fill any old spray bottle with 1/2 White Vinegar and 1/2 soft water, if you have a softener at home, add a dash of Dawn dish soap,and spray the lower part of the shield..Let it sit for a while then wash off the mess and dry as best you can...Works fine most times....I started using Plexus a while back and it works great on most plastics, etc.....Regards

rdbonds
06-30-2019, 08:39 PM
+1 for Plexus, opas ride. I use that as well. I hear it's essentially Pledge furniture polish, but cannot attest to the accuracy of that statement...sure smells just like it though. :)

2wheelsforme
07-01-2019, 07:53 AM
I understand your question is about reaching the part of the shield that is hard to get too and not about what cleaner. The only hard part to reach is the inside down low above the dash. A rag on a yard stick or if careful a long screwdriver will get down there. I see no need to remove the cowling to get to the shield.

opas ride
07-01-2019, 09:10 AM
There is also a device sold at many auto parts stores that has a small microfiber pad on the end with an inverted handle that works backwards facing the windshield..Works great on cars inside above the dash and also on the plastic area your looking to clean..I spray a small amount of the Vinegar solution on a paper towel and push it along the inside of the windshield with this handle deal I bought a while back...I'm sure you can find one on the internet or at a parts store...Regards

indadman
07-04-2019, 09:48 PM
That is a great suggestion. Thank you.

olegoat345
07-05-2019, 09:29 AM
The "Auto Detailer" (clean & wax) in a pump spray, are great for cleaning off bugs. Wet it down, soak for a few minutes, wipe off the bugs, then shine with a second micro fiber cloth. If you have a good quality wax on your finish, the bugs don't stick as bad.

2wheelsforme
07-05-2019, 10:25 AM
The free stir sticks that come with a gallon of paint at most stores are thin and can reach down into that narrow gap. Or use to push a cleaner cloth down and pull back up.

grendl
07-05-2019, 07:45 PM
I have the Klockworx sheild. Tried popcycle sticks and a few other things to get to the inside where the dashboard is. Finally just take a dry paper towel edge and slip it in and move it.from one side to the other after I wash the bike. Seems to work !

terryboyle
07-07-2019, 12:17 PM
These tricks work on the tall windshield, or do I have to remove it to clean the stuff out of there. The vent piece is in the way too.