PDA

View Full Version : Big Bike Parts: Smat Mount Driver Backrest - F6B

Dirtstiff's F6B
11-30-2013, 06:34 PM
A little bird today told me that Santa was going to bring this -

Anybody have any experience with this style of backrest? I bought it because it closely matches the passenger pillon.

J

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/smart-mount-driver-backrest-honda-gl1800-f6b-models-13-and-newer/part/BBP-52-832#Fitment

Steve 0080
11-30-2013, 06:58 PM
I have not but it sure is good lookin.................

Dirtstiff's F6B
12-01-2013, 05:35 PM

Anybody have any experience with this style of backrest? I bought it because it closely matches the passenger pillon.

J

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/smart-mount-driver-backrest-honda-gl1800-f6b-models-13-and-newer/part/BBP-52-832#Fitment

Sorry, I forgot this wasn't a Sponsor related item.. My Bad..

J

chipmaker
12-01-2013, 07:19 PM
Must be so new, no one has it? Is it permanent or use when needed? Seems like a better size than some of the others I've seen...

Phantom
12-01-2013, 07:26 PM
Must be so new, no one has it? Is it permanent or use when needed? Seems like a better size than some of the others I've seen...

I couldn't find any additional info on it. Design wise, looks very similar to the OEM passenger seat.

hiflyer
12-01-2013, 07:50 PM

This is exactly the size the pad needs to be for looks and comfort. I posted a month ago about morphing the Utopia with an HD backrest pad I had laying around, I had taken the backrest off, but now am using it. I like the available adjustments and the pad size on this offering.

ghostrider
12-02-2013, 08:20 AM

J

This is the backrest I'm going to be getting when the time comes. I think it looks the best and I like the adjustability. I'm hoping it's removable though which would be nice. That's the only question I would have on it.

Dirtstiff's F6B
12-02-2013, 09:43 PM
This is the backrest I'm going to be getting when the time comes. I think it looks the best and I like the adjustability. I'm hoping it's removable though which would be nice. That's the only question I would have on it.

I will let you know. They are back ordered so it probably will be a real Christmas gift..

ghostrider
12-04-2013, 11:46 AM
I will let you know. They are back ordered so it probably will be a real Christmas gift..

Alright nice!! I've never used a backrest before but the ole back may need some support these days. On long trips I usually lean against the seat bag, but I deserve better now. :icon_biggrin:

Scotrod
12-10-2013, 01:19 PM
Any first-person news yet?

Curious if the pivot bolt area is ~close~ enough to your spine that a person could make contact with it...

Good picture of it here from the front: http://wingstuff.com/products/35497-smart-mount-backrest-for-the-honda-f6b

Can't determine how far forward the pivot bolt is,,,,,

I had a BakUp backrest on my VTX for a very short while,,, Post came down in front of pillion,,, kept bumping my backside on steel,,, :no: Returned it.

Dirtstiff's F6B
12-10-2013, 10:26 PM
Any first-person news yet?

Curious if the pivot bolt area is ~close~ enough to your spine that a person could make contact with it...

Good picture of it here from the front: http://wingstuff.com/products/35497-smart-mount-backrest-for-the-honda-f6b

Can't determine how far forward the pivot bolt is,,,,,

I had a BakUp backrest on my VTX for a very short while,,, Post came down in front of pillion,,, kept bumping my backside on steel,,, :no: Returned it.

Guess I cannot comment until Christmas Eve... A big box with multiple orders was delivered today, but I found it wrapped and under the tree...:icon_frown:

J

Scotrod
12-10-2013, 10:30 PM
Guess I cannot comment until Christmas Eve... A big box with multiple orders was delivered today, but I found it wrapped and under the tree...:icon_frown:

J

How good are you with re-wrapping gifts??? :icon_twisted:

ghostrider
12-11-2013, 10:18 AM
I noticed from the assembly instructions that it is not removable. I'm not sure if that's an issue or not never having a back rest before. It may be one of those things I never want to take off once I see how nice it is.

Looking forward to the pictures and opinions( if Santa comes through)

MichaelG
12-11-2013, 10:30 AM
I noticed from the assembly instructions that it is not removable. I'm not sure if that's an issue or not never having a back rest before. It may be one of those things I never want to take off once I see how nice it is.

Looking forward to the pictures and opinions( if Santa comes through)

Kevin, here is an idea, and option: I always carry an 11 mm wrench with me, in the saddlebag, so that "if" I want to, I can adjust the backrest tilt to be more forward or more backward. I leave my Utopia backrest on all year long. The look of it does not detract from the looks of the bike...to me. Since I do not have a passenger backrest, but only a riders' backrest, the seat area does not look cluttered.

Here is the important part: If I am wanting to ride curvy roads, the Dragon's Tail, or Hell's canyon, I simply loosen the lock nut, loosen the allen head adjuster bolt, to move the backrest "back" out of my way, and then tighten the lock nut. Then I can ride the twisties all day, and not be encumbered by the feel of the backrest. If I want to ride a more relaxed ride all day (ha)...I can adjust the backrest slightly forward, to use as a backrest, and feel the support that it was designed for.

And...dependent on the thickness of my riding jacket...heated liner, etc....I can adjust the backrest to fit me correctly for that days' ride, by simply adjusting the set screw and lock nut. It takes about 30 seconds to make the adjustment, and then I am set for that days ride.

Why be stuck with a backrest that is forcing you forward...encumbering you...if you are wearing a thicker jacket or electric heated liner that day? Why be stuck with a backrest that is in your way, when you are riding through Hells' canyon, and wanting to feel the twisties, and not the backrest poking at you? A very simple adjustment makes a world of difference, with one 11 mm wrench.

BTW, Kevin, if "she" has not already ordered the backrest, here is a link to the Utopia backrest sold on......WINGSTUFF.

http://wingstuff.com/products/35063-utopia-driver-backrest-for-honda-goldwing-f6b?context=utopia

ghostrider
12-11-2013, 11:22 AM
Kevin, here is an idea, and option: I always carry an 11 mm wrench with me, in the saddlebag, so that "if" I want to, I can adjust the backrest tilt to be more forward or more backward. I leave my Utopia backrest on all year long. The look of it does not detract from the looks of the bike...to me. Since I do not have a passenger backrest, but only a riders' backrest, the seat area does not look cluttered.

Here is the important part: If I am wanting to ride curvy roads, the Dragon's Tail, or Hell's canyon, I simply loosen the lock nut, loosen the allen head adjuster bolt, to move the backrest "back" out of my way, and then tighten the lock nut. Then I can ride the twisties all day, and not be encumbered by the feel of the backrest. If I want to ride a more relaxed ride all day (ha)...I can adjust the backrest slightly forward, to use as a backrest, and feel the support that it was designed for.

And...dependent on the thickness of my riding jacket...heated liner, etc....I can adjust the backrest to fit me correctly for that days' ride, by simply adjusting the set screw and lock nut. It takes about 30 seconds to make the adjustment, and then I am set for that days ride.

Why be stuck with a backrest that is forcing you forward...encumbering you...if you are wearing a thicker jacket or electric heated liner that day? Why be stuck with a backrest that is in your way, when you are riding through Hells' canyon, and wanting to feel the twisties, and not the backrest poking at you? A very simple adjustment makes a world of difference, with one 11 mm wrench.

BTW, Kevin, if "she" has not already ordered the backrest, here is a link to the Utopia backrest sold on......WINGSTUFF.

http://wingstuff.com/products/35063-utopia-driver-backrest-for-honda-goldwing-f6b?context=utopia

Thanks for the info Miles, that's helpful to know. I will definitely considering the Utopia, I like the looks of the Big Bike Parts rest but will consider both.

Stone Laker
12-11-2013, 11:54 AM
All you need to remove most of the backrest is a 7/16" wrench and a 3/16" Allen wrench. It takes about 30 seconds to remove it from the bracket that comes through the seat.

ghostrider
12-11-2013, 12:43 PM
All you need to remove most of the backrest is a 7/16" wrench and a 3/16" Allen wrench. It takes about 30 seconds to remove it from the bracket that comes through the seat.

But I believe it still leaves a bracket sticking up unlike the Utopia which is flush.

Stone Laker
12-11-2013, 03:41 PM
The Utopia will only be flat if you pay the extra $65 for the quick remove mount. Now you are at $265 with the big square pad.

ghostrider
12-11-2013, 04:10 PM
You are correct. Utopia probably makes a better backrest but I like the looks of Big Bikes. Fashion over function I guess. :icon_lol:

MichaelG
12-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Fashion over function I guess.

What ? What did you just say ? :nutkick:

ghostrider
12-11-2013, 05:30 PM
What ? What did you just say ? :nutkick:

Fashion battling it out with function :catfight:

Dirtstiff's F6B
12-31-2013, 03:15 AM

Fit and functions perfectly. And looks like it belongs with the bike.
Great quality, precise directions, highly adjustable.
Most importantly - super comfortable..
I now feel like I sit in the bike, with my feet up on Kury Ergo II'S and this Smart Mount Backrest, not just on the bike.

I would recommend this backrest and purchase from Cruiser Customizing, a Site Sponsor.
I have detailed install pictures if any interest.

J

ED209
12-31-2013, 09:22 AM
Fashion battling it out with function :catfight:

:lolup:

GONRDN
12-31-2013, 10:19 AM
Looks great!

Scotrod
12-31-2013, 11:17 AM
Looks great!

X2!!!

I like how it folds down to a near horizontal position... :yes:

Dirtstiff's F6B
01-01-2014, 03:44 PM
To those with questions -

Yes, very easy to cut through foam at the right angle, with a common 9" bread knife.
Yes, The Underside and Inside brackets lined up and bolted together very quickly and easily.
No, the mount isn't flush with the backrest removed.
No, it does not stick up enough to hinder mount & dismount.
No, it does not and cannot touch your back, even when stretched back as far as I have bar reach or can push back on highway pegs.
No, there are no sharp edges.

I think once you have it on you will not find reason or comfort riding with it off.

I'm no spokes model... Just my opinion - Hope these help your' decision making.
Thanks,
Jim

Scotrod
01-01-2014, 08:18 PM
Excellent pics!!! :yes:

Quick question,,,

How far from back edge of seat to the backrest slot?

I have an RDL seat that changes my seating position a bit,,,

With luck like mine, I'll have a seat seam right smack dab where I'm supposed to cut the slot,,, :banghead:

gordonrule
01-01-2014, 08:27 PM
Looks good!!! ordered one for my bike, a little nervous on cutting seat....

Dirtstiff's F6B
01-01-2014, 09:07 PM
Excellent pics!!! :yes:

Quick question,,,

How far from back edge of seat to the backrest slot?

I have an RDL seat that changes my seating position a bit,,,

With luck like mine, I'll have a seat seam right smack dab where I'm supposed to cut the slot,,, :banghead:

The directions suggest 3/4 to 1" forward from the stitching. I'd also say its about the same from the back of the seat to the entry slit. I will pull the seat back off tomorrow and measure exactly.
J
I think you just need to stay away from the stitching and angle cut toward the underside brace location.

Scotrod
01-01-2014, 09:18 PM
The directions suggest 3/4 to 1" forward from the stitching. I'd also say its about the same from the back of the seat to the entry slit. I will pull the seat back off tomorrow and measure exactly.
J
I think you just need to stay away from the stitching and angle cut toward the underside brace location.

Hmm,,, As best I can remember, Utopia's instructions give you a measurement from the very rear of the seat/forward across the top to where you are supposed to cut the slot.

Do not pull the seat off just for me!!!! The pillion portion of my RDL is 'factory', so a simple measurement from the back across the top to the slot should work. :yes:

Thanks!!!

Dirtstiff's F6B
01-01-2014, 10:44 PM
Hmm,,, As best I can remember, Utopia's instructions give you a measurement from the very rear of the seat/forward across the top to where you are supposed to cut the slot.

Do not pull the seat off just for me!!!! The pillion portion of my RDL is 'factory', so a simple measurement from the back across the top to the slot should work. :yes:

Thanks!!!

I gotcha,
I'll grab a tape in the am.
J

Dirtstiff's F6B
01-02-2014, 01:40 PM

Thanks!!!

Scotrod,
Right at 18" from the rear of the stock seat to the center of the mounting point hole.
Jim

Scotrod
01-02-2014, 01:54 PM
Got it! Thanks Jim!!!! :yes:

Now I need to go break out my tape measure,,,

Dug up the Utopia directions,,, 16 3/4 from rear of seat,,,

http://www.utpr.com/f6binstallation.html

Surely,,, between the 2,,, one of 'em (or both!) will avoid any conflict with my seam!!!

(Dadgummit,,, my wallet is feeling lighter by the minute!! :icon_doh:)

DisneyBill
07-03-2014, 05:01 PM
Now that it's been a few months, I was curious to get Jim's or anyone else's thoughts on this backrest. Are you still pleased with it? Is the quality holding up? I do like the looks of it compared to the Utopia but there is only one review that I can find and it's not very positive.

- Bill

Dirtstiff's F6B
07-03-2014, 05:18 PM
Very pleased,
Quality is good and comfort is exceptional.
Biggest reason for me, not to upgrade the OEM seat. I'd do again and recommend.
Jim

Stick
07-03-2014, 08:40 PM
Purchased the Smart Mount Drivers Backrest and am enjoying it. Have had the Utopia backrests in the past and they are great. But the pad on the Smart Mount more closely matches the passenger backrest. I don't think it is as comfy as the Utopia, but it is well made and serves nicely. Install instructions - completely suck! Turned a two hour job into almost an all day affair. Install tip - keep the tip of the knife you use to puncture through the top of the seal close to the bottom pan as you move the knife toward the bottom of the seat. Coming up through the seat cover would be really bad!

Navvet
08-01-2014, 10:05 AM
Added the Utopia backrests to my F6B and my wife's Shadow 750 .... This was also based on my brother having one on his Burgman for several years. All of us love them. Easy to install and comfy on the ride. :lolup::lolup:

If you order from Utopia direct, be sure to fill in the affiliations block, they seem to look for reasons to give a discount (especially Vet's)

ED209
08-10-2014, 11:23 PM
Welp........... I will need this part. Found it for 160.00 on Amazon.com

First day at new job today, nearly 30 mile drive. Ride in to work was great. Ride home after 8 hours bending over in pool pump sheds, not so good on my 54 year old back. :moon: ohhhh