PDA

View Full Version : Led extra brake light

Dweisman429
07-23-2019, 08:50 AM
I had changed my tails to switchbacks and I really like the look, although I have always been slightly concerned that there isn't enough difference when the brake light comes on.

I added a back-off box...just an inline flasher that gave the brake light a 3 pulse then steady that repeated about every 3 seconds.

I had always liked the look of the small led surface mount light head in place of the rear reflector. So I found THIS (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Swift-3-0-TIR-3-watt-4-LED-Emergency-Vehicle-Grill-Warning-Light-Head-/272751292846) on evilbay for $20.

It is plenty cheap enough for sure. Shipping was extremely fast. Installation was simple as well. I didn't take any pics but it's definitely not bad. I will get a pic or video this evening

SeaSteve
07-23-2019, 11:39 AM
VERY interested in some pictures, how long the wires are and what you think of it. Looks like it's only 4" wide.

Dweisman429
07-23-2019, 04:21 PM

Dweisman429
07-23-2019, 04:26 PM
It is about 4" across. Fits perfectly where the reflector was.

Wires are about 10-12" long. Plenty enough.

I had already cut into my harness so it wasn't anything, but you need your brake power and a ground...I soldered them in on the bike side tail light plug. There is a yellow wire that you use to select your flash pattern. Power up the light then touch yellow to 12v and it changes to a different pattern. Easy enough

olegoat345
07-23-2019, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the post!
So is it really bright?
Would there be room for 2 (1 above the other) of them where the reflector is /was?
thanks

Dweisman429
07-23-2019, 07:10 PM
Bright...yes. it really does the trick.

Only room for one there

MRB68
07-24-2019, 07:21 AM
I bought the Abrams T3 light and I can't get it to only flash 3 times, it flashes the whole time i hold the brake. Can you post the link of the one you bought?

SeaSteve
07-24-2019, 08:16 AM
The link is a little hard to see on the original post. Link is on the word "THIS."

... So I found THIS (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Swift-3-0-TIR-3-watt-4-LED-Emergency-Vehicle-Grill-Warning-Light-Head-/272751292846) on evilbay for $20.

Dweisman, I think you got something here. I've got a BackOFF XP but its for a single bulb circuit so I wasn't wild about using it on the dual brake lights. I will add this before I add the BackOFF.

Dweisman429
07-24-2019, 11:16 AM
MRB68...this one also flashes the entire time the brake is on. I don't care though...let it flash. Lol

53Driver has a Whelen unit which is very comparable in size and I believe he mentioned that his will flash then go steady. But it is also $65 or more. And I realize that is still not a bad price for a little extra safety, but $20 I like better.

MRB68
07-24-2019, 01:56 PM
Agreed, I haven't been to the inspection station yet to see if it's ok to have it that way or not.

SeaSteve
07-24-2019, 04:19 PM
In Texas...I've never had an inspection problem with a flashing brake light on a motorcycle.

2wheelsforme
07-24-2019, 06:08 PM
I don't think adding a light would be a problem. The loss of the rear reflector might be a problem in some states. Not something I would worry about, I've removed many side reflectors but we do not have inspections.

MRB68
07-25-2019, 06:40 AM
No Inspections would rock! They check everything here, they even grab your risers and shake them to check the bearings in the neck. At the end they pull out the decibel thing and check your exhaust reading. I think they lowered it again here in NH to 92, I'm glad I kept my factory exhaust !

Dweisman429
07-25-2019, 11:33 AM
As much as I like not having to take stuff thru inspection...I really wish some of the piles of junk rolling around here would.

As for the relector, you could very easily just move it under the license plate

53driver
07-25-2019, 08:45 PM
Relocating the reflector....

I remounted my reflector under the license plate when I put a Whelen TIR3 where that reflector was.
Reflectors ARE required on the sides and in the back in all states as a safety item in case you have an electrical failure at night.
Cheers,
Steve

ReserveBum
07-25-2019, 09:00 PM
MRB68...this one also flashes the entire time the brake is on. I don't care though...let it flash. Lol

53Driver has a Whelen unit which is very comparable in size and I believe he mentioned that his will flash then go steady. But it is also $65 or more. And I realize that is still not a bad price for a little extra safety, but $20 I like better.

I have the Whelen and mine can not do the flash then steady. Its one or the other. Maybe he has a backoff module in the circuit?

SeaSteve
07-26-2019, 08:50 AM
Reflectors ARE required on the sides and in the back in all states as a safety item in case you have an electrical failure at night.
Cheers,
Steve

NOT THAT I'M ARGUING...But...In Texas...I've never had an inspection problem with a missing reflector on a motorcycle. On my VTX, the front fork reflectors had fallen off and the rear license plate reflectors where removed a long time ago.

I would agree with Steve/53Driver that reflectors are required but our lax inspectors don't look for reflectors.

I also did a search for Whelen TIR3 and found them HERE (https://www.strobesnmore.com/Whelen-TIR3-Super-LEDs.html).

Switchmonkey
07-26-2019, 08:21 PM
Sooner or later, you’ll run across a redneck State Trooper havin’ a bad day...

valkmc
08-04-2019, 08:18 AM
As much as I like not having to take stuff thru inspection...I really wish some of the piles of junk rolling around here would.

As for the relector, you could very easily just move it under the license plate

I agree!!! Live in Ocala Fl. and some of the cars and trucks on the road are down right scary!!

MRB68
08-05-2019, 06:10 AM
Relocating the reflector....

I remounted my reflector under the license plate when I put a Whelen TIR3 where that reflector was.
Cheers,
Steve

I followed your lead on the reflector idea, after I took mine off I found out it will fail inspection. Thanks for the idea.