PDA

View Full Version : Valve stem issue

motornerd
08-19-2019, 10:02 AM
I put on some Curvy Girl valve stems so I could use some tpms valve caps with my GPS. I went to check my tire pressure this morning and I am getting some strange things. First, depending on the direction my gauge is pointed, I get very different readings. One way maxes out the gauge at over 50 PSI, the other way I get around 35. If I try to add air, I don't hear any air going into the tire. Has anyone had problems like this? Gauge is a regular stick type, but I am puzzled that I cannot add air.

2wheelsforme
08-19-2019, 10:50 AM
Curvy Girl stems are the best so not likely the problem. Now that stick guage your using is not very reliable. Invest in a dial guage. What do your tpms say? You don't say what you are using for pressure supply, I was having some air going in problems with the chuck on my small compressor until I changed it out for a clamp on.

motornerd
08-19-2019, 12:47 PM
All right problem solved. Gauge is bad, if i hold it up, the stick falls out to max. As for not taking air, replaced both stem cores and all is good. I had the stems for a year before installing, maybe they dried out while they were laying around.

SeaSteve
08-19-2019, 01:43 PM
Once you get a gauge with a hose (https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/stockton-tire-air-pressure-gauge-with-hose?gclid=CjwKCAjwkenqBRBgEiwA-bZVtqk9IlrsefDv9uupf2jVGCHhsND2hQ7EKgmS-fiH4Oe1HO5Yp_kqnxoCPIkQAvD_BwE) that'll lock the PSI you'll never go back to a stick.

Glad you got it figured out.

olegoat345
08-19-2019, 07:14 PM
which is correct? If you use 10 different gauges, 2-3 might read the same.