PDA

View Full Version : Honda Disappointment

The Fuzz
08-23-2019, 03:53 PM
Can't tell you folks how disappointed I am in the quality of Honda. I bought the F6B counting on the reputation of unsurpassed reliability. However, I am finding out that the reputation is fake. I have had the bike for 18 months and put on 13k miles. This past winter I had a final drive leak that had to be repaired under warranty. Today I took the bike in to my local dealer because of a clunking sound coming from under the front plastics and an unstable feeling from the bars. They tell me that my steering head bearings have gone bad and they are not covered under my factory warranty. I just can't comprehend how that happens in 13k miles. I've owned lots of different bikes and never had bearings go bad in such a short time. Now, I feel like I should have kept my Victory.

53driver
08-23-2019, 04:08 PM
Well, I, for one, am sorry you've had this happen.
It seems contrary to pretty much everyone else's experience.
I monitor this forum and several F6B forums.
And I definitely wouldn't say that the Honda reputation is "fake" - they make high quality stuff.

Going forward:
I would definitely use All Balls tapered bearings to replace the current ones - so much smoother.
They are "wearable" items, like tires, so not covered under warranty - I understand that. Now, failing at 13k? That's odd.

Again, sorry that happened, I guess the statistics are not on your side right now.
Best of luck,
Steve

Verismo
08-23-2019, 06:19 PM
Having to deal with repairs when you want to be riding is a major drag, for sure. But calling Honda's reputation for reliability "fake" based on your 2 experiences is almost pitiable. Check the 100,000 mile clubs for other motorcycles to get a broader sample. However, I get that it does suck to be down when you should be riding. If it were me, I would be checking a couple things with the front end, because the steering bearings going bad at 13,000 is definitely odd. Did you buy the bike brand new? Any history of flooding in the area you got it? I'd be looking for other damage just to be safe. Also, how good is your mechanic and what is their reputation, both in terms of honesty and in familiarity with Wings? I'm not saying anything negative about them, just asking the questions I would be asking myself in your position. Hope you find some good answers and get to riding soon.

Jason

olegoat345
08-23-2019, 07:03 PM
You didn't tell us if you brought it new or not. You put 13k on it, is that all the miles it has or did you buy it used? Just wondering.

JackB
08-23-2019, 07:06 PM
My F6B has been trouble free for 43,000 miles.

Jimmytee
08-23-2019, 07:23 PM
My F6B has been trouble free for 58k miles. I will say I replaced my steering head bearings with the All Balls bearings awhile ago, but it wasn't because the stock one's failed . I was just upgrading to tapered bearings when I upgraded my suspension.

The Fuzz
08-23-2019, 07:26 PM
Brand new out of the crate.

The Fuzz
08-23-2019, 07:30 PM
I traveled 40 miles to go to this particular dealer due to the recommendations of all the Goldwing riders I've spoken to. There are plenty of Honda dealers here in Central Ohio but the dealer I went to is supposed to be top notch

rdbonds
08-23-2019, 07:37 PM
I'm sorry to hear that, Fuzz. Other than stuff I've added to my 2014 to farkle it out (electronic cruise control, Ergo III's, ------- windshield, linear actuators to make said ------- electrically adjustable) the only thing I've had to do is ride mine and change the oil/tires. I DID have to visit the dealer just before my 5 year anniversary of buying it...to pick up a container of coolant to top it off.

In fairness, I did help a buddy swap out the rear diff on his F6b due to a leak, so it's not unheard of...just rare. Good thing they're available from trike shops for about $100 brand new. Give the old gal some time...hopefully you'll see that she's more reliable than you've seen so far.

Joflewbyu2
08-23-2019, 07:47 PM
No issues whatsoever on my 2014.

opas ride
08-23-2019, 08:52 PM
I have had no major issues of any kind in almost 6 years of riding my 2013 F6B...I am upgrading the forks and steering head bearings this next week due to a small part-time leak in the right fork seal which is not leaking anymore since I used the SealMate tool a few weeks ago...Sorry the Fuzz is not happy with his bike and I most likely would be a little upset also...But to say Honda's reputation is "fake" is not fair or correct....I have had over 20 bikes in my riding days, of many different brands, and not ONE of the Honda bikes ever went back to the dealer for any reason....Just my personal opinion, I am most likely done riding as I approach 80 years of age soon, but I would not buy any other brand but Honda.....Regards

The Fuzz
08-23-2019, 08:56 PM
OK...after a couple stiff drinks, I've calmed down about my situation. I am definitely going to call Honda and try to work with my dealer to get some resolution. Thank you all for the replies and suggestions. Sorry, if I offended anyone during my rant. Goes to show you should never type angry! ��

tenxxx
08-23-2019, 08:58 PM
Its All Good. Been there, Done that.

Sorcerer
08-23-2019, 09:03 PM
35,000 on my 13 when it was turned to scrap. 47,000 on my 14. Only thing out of the ordinary was the break recall on the 13. The recall on my 14 was done before I brought it. My 14 does have some oil stains on the rear end. I’m not sure at this time if it’s a bad o-ring on the fill cap or a leak in the rear end. I’ve got till 5/2021 to deal with it. If I were you I’d push your warranty claim as far as you can. There were some reports of incorrectly torqued steering head bearings from the factory. Chase your claim up the chain.

olegoat345
08-24-2019, 02:22 AM
Ask the dealer to contact the local Honda rep to see if Honda will pay the tab...…...the worst he can say is no. You've got nothing to lose.

valkmc
08-24-2019, 06:49 AM
What explanation did they provide for refusing to pay? I posted awhile ago about the same problem, slight clunking when turning the bars to the extreme limits either side. 40k on my 2013. I have the extended warranty. I don't deal with my local dealer because when I was looking for an extended warranty they sat me down tried to sell me a private extended warranty for $1k and repeatedly told me it was a Honda warranty. When I pointed out I wasn't stupid they changed their tune. It is my busy time of the year so I haven't dealt with it except for having it checked out by a local sport bike/Ducati shop I trust. They told it was safe to ride but I should get it in and switch to better bearings. There is a dealership 30 miles from me, I'm going to take it there and see if Honda will cover it. The mechanic I had check it out did say it's a shame that Honda put such crappy bearings in such an otherwise great bike!

The Fuzz
08-24-2019, 08:59 AM
They told me that the bearings are not covered because they are considered wearable parts.

Cleaver1
08-24-2019, 09:03 AM
Opas, who is doing your work. I have 67000 miles and would like to upgrade but every dealer I talked to has never installed mono tubes. It would be nice to use someone who has a little experience.

opas ride
08-24-2019, 09:57 AM
Opas, who is doing your work. I have 67000 miles and would like to upgrade but every dealer I talked to has never installed mono tubes. It would be nice to use someone who has a little experience.

Sent you a PM with the information...Regards

98valk
08-24-2019, 02:43 PM
My steering was loose and would make a knock sound over sharp bumps. Tightened them up and all is good. If I hadn't, maybe the bearings would be toast by now.

Bearings may be a wear item. But, if they are bad in 13,000 miles, it sounds like a failure, not normal wear.

The Fuzz
08-24-2019, 04:13 PM
Great news everybody! My dealer called me today and said that Honda agreed to fix my bearings under factory warranty. The service manager made it sound like there may be a recall coming out although he didn't say those exact words. Nevertheless, Honda is standing behind their product!

53driver
08-24-2019, 04:37 PM
Glad to hear it!

Again, I'd spring for AllBalls tapered bearings....

rdbonds
08-24-2019, 08:04 PM
Glad to hear that they are fixing you up, Fuzz.

By the way, no offense taken at all, sir. :)

F6Dave
08-24-2019, 09:02 PM
If my dealer told me steering head bearings were not covered under the factory warranty I'd be looking for another dealer ASAP.

bsawyer
08-28-2019, 10:18 PM
Its like and mechanical device, some are great and some are bad... thats why I never drive or ride with out a warranty.

wjduke
09-03-2019, 06:10 PM
I had bearing trouble also. That bike got crashed, so no repairs were done. I’m sure this one I have will do the same. I blame,our bad roads. As I ride, I cuss my state every time. I’m just waiting for that clunk over bumps. I’m at just over 10k right now.

opas ride
09-04-2019, 08:12 PM
I had the front forks and steering head work done last week..Traxxion fork springs kit, AllBalls steering head bearings and related seals, oils, etc...I am happy so far as the bike is much smoother over bumps, seems to handle a lot better and the dead feeling in the bars is much improved..Well worth the money and I should have done this up-grade a long time ago......Regards and ride safe

Draxsr
09-05-2019, 06:35 AM
I had AllBalls and Progressive Monotubes put in. Cheaper by far than Traxxion, but a noticeable and vast improvement!

opas ride
09-05-2019, 08:58 AM
I had AllBalls and Progressive Monotubes put in. Cheaper by far than Traxxion, but a noticeable and vast improvement!

I did not put in the Traxxion AK-20 tubes which are about $1,000..The fork springs etc. are about $125 plus necessary oils, seals, etc...Labor is obviously the biggest charge when doing the AllBalls deal...So far so good with me...Regards

The Fuzz
09-10-2019, 06:25 PM
Update: Dealer picked up my bike this morning at 11:15am. Bike was fixed and back in my driveway by 4:00pm. New bearings and fresh oil. Now I'm all ready for my Smokey Mountain trip Friday!

53driver
09-10-2019, 07:15 PM
update: Dealer picked up my bike this morning at 11:15am. Bike was fixed and back in my driveway by 4:00pm. New bearings and fresh oil. Now i'm all ready for my smokey mountain trip friday!

outstanding!