PDA

View Full Version : Risk Creep

VStarRider
09-25-2019, 07:42 PM
I’ve mentioned this theory of mine in other posts. Not sure if it affects others, but I’ve busted myself a few times and had a couple of accidents too.

Risk creep is when one allows risk to incrementally increase in proportion to level of comfort with any bike (or sled, ATV, etc) as one feels more confident in pushing the machine a little closer to its limits.

Caught myself again today. At a red light, turning right onto a four lane divided highway, with vehicles cruising at 60-65 mph. I get a bit of a thrill pulling out when with cars closing in, on either Wing, accelerating quickly up to traffic speed without anyone even getting close to me. I popped the clutch, cranked the bars, and rolled on it. Rear tire hit the stop line and spun mid-turn causing bike to nearly fall over on the brake side. I threw my leg out to catch it, push up, and then straighten out and hammer on it.

After safely getting up to speed and clutching my teeth through a hip flexor cramp, I said to myself, “there you go again, pushing it more than you should. There’s no room for error on two wheels.”

Gotta remind myself to just relax and enjoy the ride ... no more thrill seeking ... I haven’t done well with those events on two wheels.

Ewreck
09-25-2019, 08:54 PM
Times like that it’s hard to get your ass to let go of the seat.

Coondawg07
09-25-2019, 09:21 PM
I like your name for it. A similar situation found me turning my 1600 RoadStar really quickly into 90 degree exchanges between two two-lane roads. That bike was very comfortable dragging floorboards. I eventually folded them to the locking point and took the bike wide through a turn into a bit of grass. I had a buddy following me and he need not remind me that I had began to ride risky.

Cooter
09-25-2019, 10:15 PM
I think most riders do it to some point. Some more often than others and to more of an extreme. I'm bad about pushing it. And VStar you are right. There is enough risk in everyday riding. I probably won't quit but it don't hurt that you remind me about it. Might slow down some.

Cali261
09-25-2019, 10:46 PM
Thank you for the reminder, I tend to override the little voice in my head that says “be more careful”. It means more when you hear it from someone else and it hurts a lot less when you are able to learn from other’s mistakes.

shortleg0521
09-26-2019, 02:51 AM
I’ve mentioned this theory of mine in other posts. Not sure if it affects others, but I’ve busted myself a few times and had a couple of accidents too.

Risk creep is when one allows risk to incrementally increase in proportion to level of comfort with any bike (or sled, ATV, etc) as one feels more confident in pushing the machine a little closer to its limits.

Caught myself again today. At a red light, turning right onto a four lane divided highway, with vehicles cruising at 60-65 mph. I get a bit of a thrill pulling out when with cars closing in, on either Wing, accelerating quickly up to traffic speed without anyone even getting close to me. I popped the clutch, cranked the bars, and rolled on it. Rear tire hit the stop line and spun mid-turn causing bike to nearly fall over on the brake side. I threw my leg out to catch it, push up, and then straighten out and hammer on it.

After safely getting up to speed and clutching my teeth through a hip flexor cramp, I said to myself, “there you go again, pushing it more than you should. There’s no room for error on two wheels.”

Gotta remind myself to just relax and enjoy the ride ... no more thrill seeking ... I haven’t done well with those events on two wheels.

Maybewhy thereare less and less of us ridders.

F6Bster
09-27-2019, 12:50 AM
Actually I’m just the opposite right now. Sometimes overthinking and not just going with the flow of the machine and what it can do if my mind and body just go with the flow of the moment. Caution is good, but important to not overthink things!

Frye
09-27-2019, 07:39 AM
I had a lower leg cast hung over my Valk in the garage for a few years to remind me to stay sane. I understand.

Cali261
09-27-2019, 03:37 PM
Or....you only live once, (but maybe not to a grand old age):

VStarRider
09-27-2019, 07:31 PM
Actually I’m just the opposite right now. Sometimes overthinking and not just going with the flow of the machine and what it can do if my mind and body just go with the flow of the moment. Caution is good, but important to not overthink things!

You’re not alone, F6Bster. I am susceptible to overthinking and overcaution as well. It actually increases chances of an accident, IMO.

I get past it by consciously putting those thoughts aside, reminding myself that those thoughts actually work against my safety and certainly enjoyment.

Dirtstiff's F6B
09-27-2019, 08:50 PM
Self fulfilling prophecy?

Sorcerer
09-27-2019, 09:23 PM
Risk creep was the demise of my 13 F6B. Pushing to the edge. Nothing in reserve. Add a deer mid corner. Missed the deer, lost the battle.

Cali261
12-22-2019, 02:31 AM
Virginia Tech study on Motorcycle crashes.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/what-virginia-tech-learned-about-how-and-why-we-crash-our-motorcycles?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=boosted-posts%7Ctpfn-content&utm_content=common-tread-learn&utm_term=what-virginia-tech-learned-about-how-and-why-we-crash-our-motorcycles-102219-%7Ctpfn&fbclid=IwAR3Lf6G69CMPtIGAfkcaaUHFZGG7bWFUSSGMImq0L FXRDsT34UCgpOTVaII

Cali261
12-22-2019, 02:38 AM
One more...

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/viral-video-could-this-crash-have-been-avoided

Frye
12-22-2019, 09:03 AM
A lot of good info in those links, in particular the first one. Thanks for sharing.

DaWadd
12-22-2019, 09:25 AM
Interesting read, thanks.

Skromfols
12-22-2019, 01:12 PM
I occasionally remind myself of the old saying that there are old riders and there are bold riders, but very few old bold riders. I started riding in 1962 on an old Harley with a foot clutch and a tank shifter. I learned quickly that if I made a mistake it cost me skin, either mine or the motorcycles or both. Over the years I've concluded that pushing too hard increases the risk of injury more than I find acceptable, and ride accordingly. When I pull out into traffic, or pass a vehicle and pull back in front of it I leave enough room for the possibility of my engine quitting unexpectedly. If that happens do I have a place and time to get out of the way. If I'm riding on a two lane road I find myself scanning the sides to see where I would pull off if I met a vehicle coming directly at me (i.e. a vehicle passing another vehicle heading towards me). I don't think it takes away any of my enjoyment of riding to use a little caution, and over the years I've avoided a few mishaps by just using some common sense.

Cali261
12-22-2019, 02:27 PM
I agree with you, safe riding should become second nature so that you are doing it without having to remind yourself.