PDA

View Full Version : Tire Changing Time...Will a HF rack work?

oldxtreme
09-30-2019, 11:56 AM
First rear tire change on the F6 with 17,000 miles on the original. Question is, has anyone put the F6 on a Harbor F rack and change the rear tire? The HF has a removal panel at the rear of the lift so a rear tire can be dropped down. I have changed several VTX 1800 rears on the HF but not sure if I want to roll the F6 up on it and try dropping the rear tire.

Any one with experience with the HF to change the rear?

According the the Owner's Manual, you have to disassemble the entire rear of the bike to get the tire off...

I know there are some YOU Tubers that drop the bike on it's side to get to the rear but dropping my bike on its side, on purpose, just seems wrong! Dropped it twice but not by design!! Not as easy as it looks on You Tube to get it back up!

F6Dave
09-30-2019, 01:25 PM
Had a friend with one. It was a bit short for his old Valkyrie, which could be the case for an F6B. He did a simple mod and it worked fine.

Coondawg07
09-30-2019, 02:45 PM
Do you have a center stand? Many people prefer to lay the bike over on the crash bars. I haven’t tried this... yet.

stepbill
09-30-2019, 02:51 PM
I have a manual Pitbull motorcycle lift and use it to change the rear tire. Just be sure to strap your bike to the lift prior to removing the tire as the weight change will cause the bike to tilt forward.

Ghost Rider
09-30-2019, 03:37 PM
I have an older HF lift. I dont use the wheel lock that comes with it. I also made a 6" steel plate extention to move bike forward just a little. With help of second person I pull bike up set it up on center stand. Strap forward and backwards off of front crash bar. Tire must be deflated to get off, but I have changed dozens of goldwing tires on my HF lift. I run car tire on rear of my bike to get tire out I have to raise lift up little higher than it sits on safety shaft.

rdbonds
09-30-2019, 07:42 PM
If you are only changing the rear, it's WAY easier to flop it over on its side. Since I have a habit of picking up nails in the rear, I've done it a few times. :) I can have the rear off in 15 min flat, and 10 of that is getting the right side ErgoIII highway peg off before I flop her over. Just a couple of pieces of foam or carpet to protect the crash bars, and flop over. Super easy. Once it's over, lift up a bit on the center stand and extend it to get the rear tire off the ground fully.

If you're looking to spoon off the old tire from the rim and spoon on a new one, prepare for a workout. The Wing rears are stiff.

rdbonds
09-30-2019, 07:45 PM
Here's a view that shows the center stand holding the rear off the ground.

2wheelsforme
10-01-2019, 06:14 AM
Lifting my bike high enough to get a wheel out to me is much more scary than laying it over on its side. I have an extra wheel so old off and new on in no time. Easiest wheel change of any bike I've ever had. If changing both wheels I do not lay it over as when the front is off it leans forward enough to get the rear out without having to remove half the rear of the bike. 6941

F6Dave
10-01-2019, 08:31 AM
One of these days I may try laying the bike down. But I've now changed over 6 rear tires by putting the bike on the center stand and removing the rear fender panel. It only takes a few minutes to remove the panel and the amp. 4 screws, 4 bolts, 2 quick release plugs, and it's all out of the way. Another advantage is that with the wheel off and the bike on the stand changing the final drive oil is a breeze. You can also replace the rear pads if they need it.

TheWalrus
10-01-2019, 12:37 PM
In answer to your question, yes the HF full motorcycle table will work for the F6. No need to take off the back parts, just remove the plate in the lift table and the tire drops right down. too easy. I just did it.

I also tried doing my own rear tire replacement and as RD said above it's a bitch. I bunged up the black coating because the plastic tabs moved and I had metal to metal. :mad:

MRB68
10-02-2019, 06:00 AM
Here's a view that shows the center stand holding the rear off the ground.

Probably a stupid question but does any oil leak out? I'm going to tackle mine this way come winter.

rdbonds
10-02-2019, 07:06 AM
Not a stupid question at all, MRB. I've never had any leak out, no sir.

Some folks on other 'Wing forums have also expressed concern about the footpeg mount being pushed into the ground and being stressed as well. I've checked this while it was on it side, and confirmed that the peg mount does not touch. The peg itself does touch, of course, but it's not at the limits of its movement, and can actually fold up a bit further.

MRB68
10-02-2019, 11:45 AM
Not a stupid question at all, MRB. I've never had any leak out, no sir.

Some folks on other 'Wing forums have also expressed concern about the footpeg mount being pushed into the ground and being stressed as well. I've checked this while it was on it side, and confirmed that the peg mount does not touch. The peg itself does touch, of course, but it's not at the limits of its movement, and can actually fold up a bit further.

Cool, thanks. Luckily I have the rivco footpegs so they fold in and out of the way

thunder217
10-04-2019, 08:06 AM
Roll it over on its side. I have 46K on mine and have rolled it several times to replace the rear tire. its tooooo easy. I have two rear wheels and have one on hand when the other is finished.

Audiochris90
10-04-2019, 04:02 PM
Just center stand and remove the back panel. So easy and safe.

SeaSteve
10-07-2019, 10:05 AM
This weekend I finally added a center stand to my Standard 2016. Had to lay the bike over on the right side to get the final allen head bolt in on the left side and set the spring. It was easy to get over and bring back up. I'll do it again when it's time for a rear tire.