PDA

View Full Version : Just one true dislike

Verismo
10-09-2019, 02:36 AM
There are things I've enjoyed tweaking on the B, and a few of those yet to go, but all in all, I absolutely love this bike. I recently crossed over the 20,000 mile mark and I am truly excited and grateful I have so many left to go. I've only found one thing I genuinely dislike on the bike and that is the location of the emergency flasher button. I have used it several times in near emergency situations, where I wanted to alert the traffic behind me to keep their eyes up, and I can't for the life of me imagine why Honda thought you should have to take your hand that far off the bar and reach down by your knee, with either a good proprioceptive memory, or take your eyes off the road, to do so. With the gl1800 being such an engineering marvel, it ranks right up there with the location of the air box for first rate conundrums, but at least the air box location can't help cause an accident.

Jason

2wheelsforme
10-09-2019, 05:24 AM
Tapping your brakes will do the same thing. The flashers are when the bike is stationary not while underway. https://driversprep.com/when-should-you-use-emergency-flashers/ Driving with flashers on is illegal in many states. Florida included but I guess you are OK in Texas. I agree the air box location sux but luckily not needed too often.

Verismo
10-09-2019, 06:46 AM
Tapping your brakes will do the same thing. The flashers are when the bike is stationary not while underway. https://driversprep.com/when-should-you-use-emergency-flashers/ Driving with flashers on is illegal in many states. Florida included but I guess you are OK in Texas. I agree the air box location sux but luckily not needed too often.

I'm aware, 2wheels, but with smartphones and distracted driving these days, the people behind me are lucky I don't have access to military grade spotlights and strobes. I was rear-ended one time on a bike about 10 years ago and ever since I have done everything I can think of to make sure the people behind me see me.

Jason

Ewreck
10-09-2019, 09:07 AM
I think it’s because they have the mindset of using emergency flashers only while parked and don’t take into consideration using them whilst moving.

SeaSteve
10-09-2019, 02:02 PM
You could change your brake light bulbs to flashing LEDs. Cyclemax has some (https://www.cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/led_strobe_3157_style_taillight_bulb/46037/416911) for $12 each.

Lightly hold the brakes to get five quick brake light flashes.

Verismo
10-09-2019, 05:18 PM
Yep, Ewreck, I'm sure both you and 2wheels are correct.

And I like that idea, Seasteve! From the description, it doesn't look like any modulators or anything in addition to the bulbs are required. Is that right? Do you know anything about them?

Jason

98valk
10-09-2019, 05:30 PM
Ya shoulda bought a '13. It's on the right handlebar. :p

six2go
10-09-2019, 05:43 PM
Ya shoulda bought a '13. It's on the right handlebar. :p

While I was out for a ride today, I happened to think about this thread and looked for my flasher button. Yep, right there where my right thumb would activate the flashers. Couldn't figure out what the problem was because I don't think the OP said what year his was. Wonder why they changed the location.:confused:

Verismo
10-09-2019, 05:55 PM
16 Deluxe. Cruise on the right grip. I love the cruise, but there's bound to be room on one of the grips for the slightest bit of inventiveness.

Jason

Cooter
10-09-2019, 07:47 PM
Glad you guys cleared that up. I have a 13 and I'm reading thinking what the heck are they activating. Didn't realize they changed the location .

seventwenty
10-10-2019, 08:20 AM
Yep, Ewreck, I'm sure both you and 2wheels are correct.

And I like that idea, Seasteve! From the description, it doesn't look like any modulators or anything in addition to the bulbs are required. Is that right? Do you know anything about them?

Jason

No modulators or anything needed. I have them and they have worked great. I believe they are 7443 bulbs tho, not the 3157's that were linked

SeaSteve
10-10-2019, 08:56 AM
I believe they are 7443 bulbs tho, not the 3157's that were linked

You are correct. I "ASSUMED" it was the right bulb on CycleMax's site for the GL1800. Maybe the 2018+ uses 3157 bulbs.

I know several F6B owners have bought 7443 flashing LEDs off EBay but not sure about quality.

98valk
10-10-2019, 02:24 PM
16 Deluxe. Cruise on the right grip. I love the cruise, but there's bound to be room on one of the grips for the slightest bit of inventiveness.

Jason

I added a button and a circuit to my left grip area to change the preset radio stations. I'm sure you could do something to add a button for your flashers.

jm21ddd15
10-10-2019, 02:39 PM
Hmmm? Over 60,000 miles on my 6, never used the flasher. Never even thought about it. I guess I should look for the switch.:confused:

Cooter
10-10-2019, 05:38 PM
Used mine once when another riders bike broke down. Non Honda. Parked behind him on a narrow road.

Verismo
10-10-2019, 09:26 PM
I added a button and a circuit to my left grip area to change the preset radio stations. I'm sure you could do something to add a button for your flashers.

That's pretty slick, 98Valk. I'm not very confident about my wiring skills, though. I would have to take some serious time with it. Maybe one day, after its extended warranty, runs out, lol.

Jason