PDA

View Full Version : Many of you may never have heard taps played in its entirety.....

Steve 0080
12-04-2013, 06:06 PM
http://www.flixxy.com/trumpet-solo-melissa-venema.htm

Bruce B
12-04-2013, 07:09 PM
http://www.flixxy.com/trumpet-solo-melissa-venema.htm

Beautiful beyond words.

4DI2D
12-04-2013, 08:15 PM
While it is an exceptional rendition of Il Silencio it is not "Taps".

If you haven't heard "Echo Taps" (now banned from military services) you have missed what is in reality a musical prayer.

Day is done,
Gone the sun,
From the lakes, from the hills, from the sky,
All is well
Safely rest,
God is nigh.

Steve 0080
12-05-2013, 12:45 AM
Why was it banned?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy6qCeE_6rE

MSGT-R
12-05-2013, 10:52 AM
If you haven't heard "Echo Taps" (now banned from military services) you have missed what is in reality a musical prayer.

Day is done,
Gone the sun,
From the lakes, from the hills, from the sky,
All is well
Safely rest,
God is nigh.

Echo taps banned my arse; if the family want's it, I play it.

I joined the Marine Corps as a 5541 musician (trumpet player) and did more funerals than I can remember, before and after I made a career change to aviation. I made myself available to my squadron when performing honor guards when the band could not supply a bugler. I took my duty very seriously, it was the last thing the family hears and sees before the presentation of the flag. One shot, no mistakes.

Today, it is mostly false because the mouthpiece contains a small sound device that plays the horn for the person holding it, and frankly, it offends me greatly. The family deserves more than digital fakery. That's why there's no echo taps. :icon_evil:

1951vbs
12-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Interesting topic. I like them all so far.

From Wikpedia: Army Regulation 220-90, Army Bands dated December 2007, Paragraph 2-5h(1) states the following: “Echo Taps” or “Silver Taps,” the practice of performing “Taps” with multiple buglers, is not authorized. “Echo Taps” is not a part of Army tradition and improperly uses bugler assets.

Army Regulation 600-25, Salutes, Honors, and Visits of Courtesy, dated September 2004, Glossary, Section 2 states the following: "Taps The traditional “lights out” musical composition played at military funerals and memorials. The official version of “Taps” is played by a single bugle. In accordance with AR 220–90, “Echo or Silver Taps,” which is performed by 2 buglers, is not authorized."

Bummer:shrug:

Scotrod
12-05-2013, 01:27 PM
improperly uses bugler assets

I heard they were able to cut the Bugler budget in half this way,,,,

4DI2D
12-05-2013, 06:18 PM
Under the present administration many things have transpired which defy all reason and logic.
I have heard "Echo Taps" played at Willamette National Cemetery on several occasions. That, however, is in the past.
There are still buglers available but the playing of Echo Taps has been banned in National Cemeteries just like Houston National Cemetery banned all prayer "in Jesus name* and required written submission for clearance of all prayers for the services. Regardless of whether or not an individual veteran and his family hold to Christian beliefs, someone might overhear the reference and be offended.
I didn't say it was reasonable or proper, I said it was an accomplished fact.
Private services in civilian cemeteries are exempt from the prohibition.
At the 9/11 Memorial field of flags we had band members from local high schools play Taps at sunset.

They all played Echo Taps.

BubbaJePH
12-05-2013, 08:48 PM
In the video, she was doing some great lip synch. Anyone else play a brass instrument this group? Did you see she did not play with the center of the mouth. An woodwind instrument, you can get away with playing from an angle from the mouth. Not so with a brass. No ring from the mouthpiece on her lips. The notes were not synched with the fingering of the valves of the trumpet. Even her breathing was not in synch with the notes. I played the trumpet in school years ago. I now play the bugle for my Sons Of Confederate Camp. I agree the music was nice. The song Taps was written 151 years ago just up the road from me. I attended the Celebration at the Berkley Plantation on Route 5 in Virginia where it was written. Saw the sheet music for it too. There I joined the "Bugles Across America".

1951vbs
12-05-2013, 09:53 PM
In the video, she was doing some great lip synch. Anyone else play a brass instrument this group? Did you see she did not play with the center of the mouth. An woodwind instrument, you can get away with playing from an angle from the mouth. Not so with a brass. No ring from the mouthpiece on her lips. The notes were not synched with the fingering of the valves of the trumpet. Even her breathing was not in synch with the notes. I played the trumpet in school years ago. I now play the bugle for my Sons Of Confederate Camp. I agree the music was nice. The song Taps was written 151 years ago just up the road from me. I attended the Celebration at the Berkley Plantation on Route 5 in Virginia where it was written. Saw the sheet music for it too. There I joined the "Bugles Across America".

From another old trumpet and bugle player horn-blower horn-blower2.I played on center but knew a lot of others that played off-lip center. Also with the exception of the last note the pressure required for the rest of the piece was minimal so no ring would not suprise me. She wasn't playing like Doc Severenson (although he played off lip center) or Maynard Fergeson but it looked liked she was playing to me. I am waiting for Hornblower to weigh in on this one. Are you out there?