PDA

View Full Version : ^Top of the World Highway a F6B...Good Idea?

oldxtreme
01-12-2020, 03:48 PM
Thinking about doing the Top of the World in BC to Alaska this summer on my F6B. As everybody knows, the F6B loves the open road, if it is paved.

Anyone do the Top of the World on the F6B?

Not really looking to put knobbies on this machine but from what i heard, there is a lot of "off road" riding on this hard pack highway.

The short stretch going over the Beartooth Pass last summer with gravel and water downed ruts was enough, and that was only for about 4 miles!

Just looking for input from someone that did this run before I head North this summer.

2wheelsforme
01-12-2020, 04:22 PM
If that little bit of gravel on Bear Tooth gave you concern you better forget Alaska. I'm sure the bike can handle it as someone did it already, maybe try something else shorter first. I did Moki Dugway without trouble a while back, both up and back down. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiC3UYkUKH8&t=14s

2wheelsforme
01-12-2020, 04:34 PM
Found the thread, here ya go: http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?10815-The-F6BX&highlight=alaska

Frye
01-12-2020, 08:01 PM
If that little bit of gravel on Bear Tooth gave you concern you better forget Alaska. I'm sure the bike can handle it as someone did it already, maybe try something else shorter first. I did Moki Dugway without trouble a while back, both up and back down. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiC3UYkUKH8&t=14s

Was there much of the deep, soft gravel which wants to make your front tire sink in and push sideways if you know what I mean? Can't really tell from the video.

2wheelsforme
01-13-2020, 01:04 AM
No it was firm, lots of gravel and ruff as heck and those sheer drop-offs on the sides with no rails made you pay attention.

oldxtreme
01-13-2020, 04:08 PM
Well, the photos are outstanding and Alaska looks like once in a lifetime ride! That said, at 78 with a lot of seat miles, I think the F6B and I will stick to the paved roads. The second and third time over the Bear Tooth Pass with the gravel top went faster standing on the pegs and gassing it through the slippery stuff but the idea of doing days of pegging it and letting the bike dance under me just does not sound as much fun as doing a 100 MPH on some of those lonely roads through Kansas, Montana, Nevada and Utah.

I really enjoyed the laid back ride from Ohio to California and back last year.

Thanks for the quick feedback. I think I will change my plans and do Sturgis and on up through North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Oregon, Washington and back. I am sure they offer some great riding without going off road.

seabee40
01-14-2020, 09:52 AM
Go to Wikipedia/ top of the world web site......might change your mind for trip

valkmc
01-14-2020, 10:35 AM
Well, the photos are outstanding and Alaska looks like once in a lifetime ride! That said, at 78 with a lot of seat miles, I think the F6B and I will stick to the paved roads. The second and third time over the Bear Tooth Pass with the gravel top went faster standing on the pegs and gassing it through the slippery stuff but the idea of doing days of pegging it and letting the bike dance under me just does not sound as much fun as doing a 100 MPH on some of those lonely roads through Kansas, Montana, Nevada and Utah.

I really enjoyed the laid back ride from Ohio to California and back last year.

Thanks for the quick feedback. I think I will change my plans and do Sturgis and on up through North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Oregon, Washington and back. I am sure they offer some great riding without going off road.

I rode from Central Fl. to Alaska a few years ago. 12k miles. The Alaskan Highway was amazing. 7161

Only gravel in one spot 7162 However this happened a couple of times when they repair the road there is no way around. Met some nice people during the stops!! I stayed away from the trip to the article circle, it had been raining prior to me making it there and the Dalton Hwy was a mess.

7163 7164

oldxtreme
01-16-2020, 03:01 PM
Wow, Valkmc, you get around!

Do you have an outstanding warrant in Idaho?

How long did it take you to get to 48 of the 50 states?

valkmc
01-22-2020, 12:07 PM
Lol, no warrant. I am a school teacher and have 10 weeks off every summer. The Alaska trip was 6 weeks, 5 weeks of riding and 1 week in Las Vegas. On one trip I planned on visiting Idaho but my C-14 let me down and I got stuck, again in Las Vegas. I got my first bike in 1975-17 years old. Not sure what my parents were thinking but I survived. I have had a bike of one kind or another every since. I'm now 62 and about to retire so look out Idaho here I come!! Riding is my sanity, kept doing it through two marriages and three outstanding boys. One who rides with me sometimes. I have spent 30 years, most days with 140-170 teenagers. Really needed those long quiet rides.

OlyF6B
01-23-2020, 11:54 AM
I have friends who ride BMW GS scoots and have done that route numerous times. I hear it's a GREAT ride! IF I was going to do that route, I'd be renting a BMW GS. Ground clearance and wheel/tire setup notwithstanding... at just about 500 lbs, that's about 300 lbs of bike I wouldn't have to lift up if (when?) the scoot goes down on less than optimal gravel conditions.

oldxtreme
02-15-2020, 01:54 PM
140 to 170 teenagers for 30 years...I surprised that you do not have South American and Europe also covered as therapy tripping!

I went through Idaho last summer on my way back from southern Calif. I had to do it! I stopped at a little restaurant and ordered a baked potato. This thing was the size of a watermelon, loaded with cheese, sour cream and bacon! I think it was like three bucks and made three meals out of it!

2wheelsforme
02-15-2020, 04:26 PM
I looked at that TOTW road on street view and can not understand why anyone would want to go ride it. So much better around the lower Rockies.

rbolton
04-23-2020, 08:37 PM
Rode Wisconsin to Alaske a couple of years ago. The worst roads are in NE Canada and SW Alaska. They aren't bad mostly. Just every now and again you find a spot or a good long stretch that is all tore up with pot holes from the winter. They'll have some of them fixed before you turn around and come back. They are hard to spot sometimes and that make them dangerous. I only had a hard time with them when I was really tired and thinking slow. My lesson there was stop when your tired and out in the sticks. A mile of big potholes can jump up at any time from right in the middle of a smooth road. The highway at the top of the world was packed but dusty gravel and fairly smooth. Not bad on the F6B. I had more trouble with colonel klink and his circus of exitable germans while they were on their way to cape horn than I did the highway.

Top of the world highway was gorgeous. Not as neat as rolling around in the Rockies, but well worth the time when your their.

Also don't drink with the locals in Chicken.

jm21ddd15
04-23-2020, 10:25 PM
Not sure Canada, wants any visitors, until the virus slacks off. Better check, before you take off. I saw Trudeau on tv recently, saying the border will stay closed for a while longer. But, check on it, I could be wrong.