PDA

View Full Version : 2013 f6b transmission problems, should I buy one?

dashiznit1
02-25-2020, 11:05 PM
Hi all, I put down a deposit on a pretty nice 2013 f6b deluxe with 16k miles the other day but after doing that I read that the 2013 had a weak transmission that was redesigned in 2014.

On the test ride I noticed that the shifting was a little clunky (nothing too unnormal, shifts like my dad's high mileage '03 goldwing) but I missed second gear a few times when taking off from red lights.

Should I pass on this bike and look for a 2014 or 2015 instead? I want to do some long distance riding and hit Twisties with it so I'll be riding it pretty hard every weekend and if the 2013 and earlier transmissions aren't strong enough I don't want to run into problems.

Az Wingrider
02-26-2020, 08:03 AM
Transmission Problems

A small percentage of Goldwings and F6Bs built before 2014 experienced transmission problems. The problem often called "ghost shifting" was actually uncommanded downshifts, usually from 5th gear to 4th gear. I had a 2007 Goldwing that I put over 100,000 miles on with no problems. I also knew of a couple of other Goldwings that encountered problems almost from new. As far as I know the percentage of bikes with the problem was small but it was significant enough that Honda made a correction. It was also common enough that when I traded mine in on the F6B I was asked if it had any 5th gear problems and they test road it.

So there was a problem and if this bike your looking at is a good bike at a good price it depends on your risk tolerance.

Good luck
Az Wingrider

JackB
02-26-2020, 09:48 AM
I wouldn't worry it.
Like Az said they are thousands of bike's without any issues

dashiznit1
02-26-2020, 11:27 AM
Transmission Problems

A small percentage of Goldwings and F6Bs built before 2014 experienced transmission problems. The problem often called "ghost shifting" was actually uncommanded downshifts, usually from 5th gear to 4th gear. I had a 2007 Goldwing that I put over 100,000 miles on with no problems. I also knew of a couple of other Goldwings that encountered problems almost from new. As far as I know the percentage of bikes with the problem was small but it was significant enough that Honda made a correction. It was also common enough that when I traded mine in on the F6B I was asked if it had any 5th gear problems and they test road it.

So there was a problem and if this bike your looking at is a good bike at a good price it depends on your risk tolerance.

Good luck
Az Wingrider

Thanks for the info, I think the f6b is an incredible bike but knowing my luck if it has a common problem I'm going to be one of the people that experiences it. As hard as it is to pass on this deal I'm going to wait for a decent price on a low mileage 2014 or 2015. Hopefully that happens sooner than later.

SeaSteve
02-26-2020, 11:32 AM
Ask about oil changes; If they where done on time and with what oil. Could be the wrong oil was used or hasn't been changed in a long time.

2wheelsforme
02-26-2020, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the info, I think the f6b is an incredible bike but knowing my luck if it has a common problem I'm going to be one of the people that experiences it. As hard as it is to pass on this deal I'm going to wait for a decent price on a low mileage 2014 or 2015. Hopefully that happens sooner than later.

A few changes between the 14 and 15 years, you might want the cruise control and black pipes, I did.

dashiznit1
02-26-2020, 02:05 PM
A few changes between the 14 and 15 years, you might want the cruise control and black pipes, I did.

Good point but the 2015/16's are still pretty expensive. I could probably get a 2014 and buy a -------- left handlebar cruise control kit and some black aftermarket pipes for the same price as a 2015.

zeus661
02-26-2020, 02:23 PM
you need to raise your foot a little harder when shifting into 2nd

dashiznit1
02-26-2020, 02:45 PM
you need to raise your foot a little harder when shifting into 2nd

I was pretty consistent with the shifter pressure and it only happened twice in 30 minutes. Seemed like the gearbox just didn't want to go into second each time because it grinded a little. I'm not trying to dodge the blame here but I've had plenty of bikes and the only one that felt like that was my old r1 that had 60k miles and a worn out 2nd gear but it was more consistent.

Ewreck
02-26-2020, 02:48 PM
Have em throw in an extended warranty. I’d personally look for a 2014 or later as cruise is a big deal to me.

dashiznit1
02-26-2020, 03:14 PM
Have em throw in an extended warranty. I’d personally look for a 2014 or later as cruise is a big deal to me.

Amen. My mt-10 is the first bike I've had with cruise control and I'm never buying one without it again. Luckily you can add aftermarket cruise control to any f6b that didn't come with it from the factory but it costs almost $1,000.

2wheelsforme
02-26-2020, 03:33 PM

15 or later!

Cali261
02-26-2020, 04:05 PM
If you are hesitant in any way, I would just walk away. Numerous reasons why someone would get rid of a motorcycle and your hunch might be right on this one. There are too many great deals around for you to feel you have to jump on this one. I would hate for you to kick yourself over and over for a purchase you had a bad feeling about and went through with anyway. Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

valkmc
02-26-2020, 06:42 PM
If you are hesitant in any way, I would just walk away. Numerous reasons why someone would get rid of a motorcycle and your hunch might be right on this one. There are too many great deals around for you to feel you have to jump on this one. I would hate for you to kick yourself over and over for a purchase you had a bad feeling about and went through with anyway. Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

I say the same there are lots of 6s for sale. My 13 has 45K on and I never had a ghost shift but he transmission is very rough with down shifting if I dont pay attention. Have to have very positive pressure or the shift is very rough and yes it has gotten slightly worse over the years.

ReserveBum
02-26-2020, 07:08 PM
Guess I got lucky and so have a lot of friends with the 13.....I have 58k and zero issues with the transmission. Only thing I can complain about is the "cold stumble", but others I know with the 13 dont have that issue. I would and have recommended the 13 model to friends and family. I have been on this board a while and its really the first time I have heard about 13 specific transmission issues.

edgeman55
02-27-2020, 02:26 PM
As been said here very few 13 and below goldwings have had tranny problems.My 13 F6B needs me to give very positive shifts with my foot and they are just clunky trannys.Many including a couple on this site have well over 100k without a problem so I really do not see the worry.Also there have been 14 and 15,s with the so called upgrade that have ghost shifted.Good luck with your search.

Ewreck
02-27-2020, 02:30 PM
15 or later!

Yes. My bad.

rdbonds
02-27-2020, 08:28 PM
Personally, I would not let worries about the "ghost shift" stop me from buying a 2013 bike. My 2014 has had the occasional ghost shift since I first bought it (new), despite shifting firmly and intentionally. There was a change between 2013 and 2014, but it didn't 100% remove the issue. In addition to jumping from 4th or 5th to neutral between the two without touching the shifter, occasionally when in 4th gear and attempting to shift to 5th, the shifter feels like it's already in 5th (i.e. there is no "catch" in the shift assembly to move the dogs to put it into 5th. ). Simply re-engaging the clutch and rolling out of the throttle (taking out the lash in the drivetrain) makes it grab the shift forks and we're back in business. I've never seen evidence of damage (no debris in oil in the 6 years I've had her). I suspect there is a minor alignment issue with the shift forks from new. Despite the occasional bike that has this "character", I'm not aware of any bikes that suffer a full-on failure. By contrast, I regularly ride with another member of this forum, who bought his 2013 new, and I don't think he's ever had a ghost shift. YMMV.

With regard to cruise, I agree that 15 was the first year, but for ~$250 one can add a Rostra electronic cruise, and it's not a bad job. I've done three of them now on various bikes.

Kind Regards,
Russell