PDA

View Full Version : Saddle Bags Lock, not a big fan of it.

F6Joe
03-11-2020, 10:54 PM
Anyone know how to tweak the lock to remove the key and leave the bags unlocked? Not worried about them being unlocked most of the time, darn few people know how to open them anyway. I would like the choice of locking them or not.

boo433
03-12-2020, 05:02 AM
do the cut off key with a radio knob . leave it in and unlock position

2wheelsforme
03-12-2020, 06:57 AM
Yes easy fix and still lockable if needed.

2wheelsforme
03-12-2020, 06:59 AM
Knob is hardly noticeable. 7305

JackB
03-12-2020, 07:23 AM
Plus the key will be too short to start the bike

2wheelsforme
03-12-2020, 08:01 AM
Or you can spend some big bucks and do the install for electric openers, it will not make anything easier but they are kool. Of course then you have to worry about a dead battery in the bike and in the remote fob.

SeaSteve
03-12-2020, 09:18 AM
The "Radio Knob Mod" mentioned above is simple. Get TWO keys made and the two Knobs Here (https://www.cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1800_new_style_radio_knobs/319330/136403)...I say two keys so you can "Mod" one for the glove compartment key lock that's just as annoying.

Measure the keys when inserted into each lock and cut so you still have enough key to glue inside the knob. Glove compartment key needs to be longer and this key CAN be used in the ignition to unlock the front forks, but won't start the bike.

If I'm feeling cautious, I'll pull the keys out and drop them in the locked tray under the gas tank cap lid.

F6Joe
03-12-2020, 10:50 AM
I've had the radio knob keys for years (fuel door, "glove" compartment, and they are handy, but I am wanting to modify the lock.

F6Joe
03-12-2020, 10:52 AM
Yes easy fix and still lockable if needed.

How is it accomplished? I don't want to screw it up and sometimes I pretty good at that. lol

2wheelsforme
03-12-2020, 11:42 AM
The keys are cheap at Lowes or Home Depot. I don't remember the key blank number. Most of the time they will activate the locks but not crank the bike. I used the rubber ends made for metal furniture feet and a 50/50 epoxy mix that hardened like metal. I have two, one for the bags in the rear, it is larger cause it needs to stick out a bit as the key hole is recessed. Another more flush mount for the right side that opens the center cubby. Gas cover is really not needed as the right side one is very easy to remove and open the gas cap.

2wheelsforme
03-12-2020, 11:44 AM
Here ya go: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=f6b+key+mod+for+bag+locks&view=detail&mid=8175A7F6C2598361E90C8175A7F6C2598361E90C&FORM=VIRE

F6Joe
03-12-2020, 01:19 PM
Ran into a guy a while back that modified his lock to remove the key with the bags unlocked, that's what I am wanting to do, not the radio knob and cut key which I have on my Wing and F6 fuel doors and "glove boxes".

zeus661
03-12-2020, 04:22 PM
I found directions once online but you have to remove the tumblers, dismantle them, and file down something inside. I thought about doing it but it seemed like to much work at the time.

F6Joe
03-12-2020, 08:21 PM
I found directions once online but you have to remove the tumblers, dismantle them, and file down something inside. I thought about doing it but it seemed like to much work at the time.
Think I'll pull it and take it to a lock smith, thank you zeus661! (Hate not having the choice to leave it unlocked or not, I can leave my Wings bags and trunk unlocked)

seventwenty
03-12-2020, 10:53 PM
Think I'll pull it and take it to a lock smith, thank you zeus661! (Hate not having the choice to leave it unlocked or not, I can leave my Wings bags and trunk unlocked)

I’m confused now. You say that you “hate not having a choice of locked or unlocked”. With the knob trick mentioned previously, you do have a choice. Unlocked, the knob is there and no one even notices it. If they do, most have no idea what it is for. If you need to lock them, lock it and pull the key or leave it. As stated, the majority of people have no idea what it is for anyway.

billsim
03-13-2020, 07:49 AM
I wish that the bags were controlled like the remote trunk release on my cars. If the ignition key is in the "on" position or "acc" position it can open the trunk just with a push of this button.
I don't want to worry about riding around with disguised extra keys or aftermarket remotes.
Honda should have done this from the start IMHO.

2wheelsforme
03-13-2020, 12:00 PM
It is not a disguised extra key, it will not crank the bike. The way it is with the cut off key works great for me.

billsim
03-13-2020, 01:18 PM
It is not a disguised extra key, it will not crank the bike. The way it is with the cut off key works great for me.

But it will open the bags if left in. Putting a knob on the end is to disguise that it is a key. If you like it, that is all that matters.

zeus661
03-13-2020, 02:45 PM
Here is a link to a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izZeoEWzHk8

I'm still looking for the directions

Dweisman429
03-13-2020, 06:59 PM
I did it. It's not that bad.

You have to pull everything apart to get to the lock cylinder.
Once you get the lock cylinder out, you have to disassemble it.

Then finally you can pull the center section with the tumblers out of the housing.

No you will see there is one slot that allows the key to be removed...you need to make a second one.

I used a Dremel with a butt and made short work of it.

It works absolutely great.

zeus661
03-20-2020, 05:33 PM
I did it. It's not that bad.

You have to pull everything apart to get to the lock cylinder.
Once you get the lock cylinder out, you have to disassemble it.

Then finally you can pull the center section with the tumblers out of the housing.

No you will see there is one slot that allows the key to be removed...you need to make a second one.

I used a Dremel with a butt and made short work of it.

It works absolutely great.

Can you describe what it took to disassemble the tumbler? Is there any chance of the pins falling out?

okf6b
03-20-2020, 08:39 PM
The saddle bag lock can be disabled by disconnecting the left and/or right cable ends from the latch mechanism. You can do one side or both. Simple and easily reversible.

zeus661
03-21-2020, 11:46 AM
The saddle bag lock can be disabled by disconnecting the left and/or right cable ends from the latch mechanism. You can do one side or both. Simple and easily reversible.

Yes but I am looking for a description on what it takes to modify the tumbler. I understand the tumbler needs to be disassembled and a slot needs to be cut. That is what I am looking for direction.

Defiant77
03-21-2020, 04:12 PM
Just a rhetorical question here. Have we become so lazy that we cannot stick a key in the lock, turn the lock and open the case?
Asking for a friend. ;)

zeus661
03-21-2020, 05:23 PM
Just a rhetorical question here. Have we become so lazy that we cannot stick a key in the lock, turn the lock and open the case?
Asking for a friend. ;)

I like to be able to get into my bags while the bike is running. I don't want to carry two keys either. I don't want to cut a key and leave it in either. I like riding all day and leaving them unlocked like I did with previous bikes. I personally think it is a stupid function that Honda should have put more thought into. I ask you why does Honda think we need to have them locked all the time? Why did they not think this out? They did on other bikes with saddlebags.

F6Joe
03-21-2020, 08:12 PM
I like to be able to get into my bags while the bike is running. I don't want to carry two keys either. I don't want to cut a key and leave it in either. I like riding all day and leaving them unlocked like I did with previous bikes. I personally think it is a stupid function that Honda should have put more thought into. I ask you why does Honda think we need to have them locked all the time? Why did they not think this out? They did on other bikes with saddlebags.

Agree with you 100%, completely stupid function that I have never had on any other bike. My Wing does not do that, but if it did at least it has a remote, and no I am not going to buy and install the bag openers. Not about being lazy, it is about what is convenient for me, and it is about how I want it. Looks like you want it that way too.

dalebratton
03-22-2020, 07:41 AM
Dude!! Look at: https://mblinnovations.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fhonda-f6b-electronic-saddlebag-door-release-w-remote
I installed these two (2) years ago and love them. Great product exclusively for the F6B. You'll love it and it not too expensive...$170

zeus661
03-23-2020, 09:06 AM
Dude!! Look at: https://mblinnovations.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fhonda-f6b-electronic-saddlebag-door-release-w-remote
I installed these two (2) years ago and love them. Great product exclusively for the F6B. You'll love it and it not too expensive...$170

I have thought about those but getting tired of spending money. Plus those can fail. It just does not make sense. You go for a ride and the temperature is colder than you thought. You get a few miles down the road and decide to get your gloves out of your saddlebag. To do so you need to shut the bike down to open the saddlebag. Sure I could carry an extra key but do you carry one for your car? Sure I could cut a key and glue it to a knob and leave it in, then it is not really secure. F...en stupid design.

BigMac
03-23-2020, 11:39 AM
I for one due carry and extra keys. I had one made that is flat and I keep it in my wallet and another one that I keep on a separate key ring with my house key on it. I been on rides where the owner has lost or lock there key in a trunk (Valkyrie Interstate) and where stuck.

zeus661
03-23-2020, 01:51 PM
I for one due carry and extra keys. I had one made that is flat and I keep it in my wallet and another one that I keep on a separate key ring with my house key on it. I been on rides where the owner has lost or lock there key in a trunk (Valkyrie Interstate) and where stuck.

I do have a second key hidden on the bike but not easily accessible.

F6Joe
03-23-2020, 07:32 PM
I just want the damn lock to work like every other lock in the world!

jmdaniel
03-24-2020, 08:18 AM
I just want the damn lock to work like every other lock in the world!

Hey, you got 4 pages out of your problem, so there's that... ;)

You should start another thread, on why the gas door needs a key!

SeaSteve
03-24-2020, 10:08 AM

When I ride with a group we, each, swap a key with another person on the ride. Solves multiple problems at once.

...Oops...Sorry Jeff. I responded before I got all the way to the end.:o

zeus661
03-26-2020, 08:47 AM
With help from a phone call to Dweisman49 I was able to modify my lock so I can now unlock the saddlebags AND remove the key. Below is a picture of the tumbler before I modified it. Fairly easy to do with a Dremel tool. Sorry I didn't take step by step pictures.

1. First you will need to remove the lock from the bike. There are many videos showing how to get access to that area.

2. Next you will need to remove the nylon part that holds the cable to release the lock. There is a small pin holding it in place. I drilled a small hole on the opposite side so I could push the pin back out. (Not pictured below)

3. Next you will need to remove the chrome ring that hold the tumbler inside the casing. There are 3 tabs you will need to bend out of the way.

4. In the picture below you can see two groves about 1/4" wide at 6 & 12 O'clock inside the casing.. You will need to cut/grind two more groves inside that casing at 3 & 9 O'clock. (RED area)

When you have the tumbler outside the casing slowly pull the key out and you will see the small plates raising and lowering allowing removal of the key. This is why two new grooves need to be cut, to allow those plates to raise.

As you create the two new grooves test them by inserting the tumbler. I used my Dremel with a small burr tool and took my time.

Once you are able to remove the key in the new position just reassemble and enjoy.

Mark

shortleg0521
03-26-2020, 09:00 AM
With help from a phone call to Dweisman49 I was able to modify my lock so I can now unlock the saddlebags AND remove the key. Below is a picture of the tumbler before I modified it. Fairly easy to do with a Dremel tool. Sorry I didn't take step by step pictures.

1. First you will need to remove the lock from the bike. There are many videos showing how to get access to that area.

2. Next you will need to remove the nylon part that holds the cable to release the lock. There is a small pin holding it in place. I drilled a small hole on the opposite side so I could push the pin back out. (Not pictured below)

3. Next you will need to remove the chrome ring that hold the tumbler inside the casing. There are 3 tabs you will need to bend out of the way.

4. In the picture below you can see two groves about 1/4" wide at 6 & 12 O'clock inside the casing.. You will need to cut/grind two more groves inside that casing at 3 & 9 O'clock. (RED area)

When you have the tumbler outside the casing slowly pull the key out and you will see the small plates raising and lowering allowing removal of the key. This is why two new grooves need to be cut, to allow those plates to raise.

As you create the two new grooves test them by inserting the tumbler. I used my Dremel with a small burr tool and took my time.

Once you are able to remove the key in the new position just reassemble and enjoy.

Mark

I always enjoy how hard we will work when some engineer pisses us off.
We will out think that S.O.B. every time.
When I worked in Telcom and networking we would have troubles and call the engineers and before we were done
we would end up doing what we call field engineer it to a solution.
It left us at times thinking these collage educated engineers only knew what time the train left the station
To be fair it is always easier sometimes to fix stuff if you are on prem.

billsim
03-26-2020, 09:17 AM
Thank you. I am going to save this for my future projects!

zeus661
03-26-2020, 10:33 AM
I always enjoy how hard we will work when some engineer pisses us off.
We will out think that S.O.B. every time.
When I worked in Telcom and networking we would have troubles and call the engineers and before we were done
we would end up doing what we call field engineer it to a solution.
It left us at times thinking these collage educated engineers only knew what time the train left the station
To be fair it is always easier sometimes to fix stuff if you are on prem.

I can not understand why anyone would design it so you can not remove the key when unlocked. Anyone have any guesses?

hocrod
03-26-2020, 10:56 AM
My guess is so the passenger won't open it while moving

SeaSteve
03-26-2020, 03:43 PM
There must be a Corporate CYA/Legal reason for locking the Honda Ignition key in the lock.

Draxsr
03-26-2020, 10:05 PM
So you can't lock the key in the bag? :shrugs:

SeaSteve
03-27-2020, 08:22 AM
So you can't lock the key in the bag? :shrugs:

Oh Yea! That would be bad!

Dweisman429
03-27-2020, 05:40 PM
But you definitely can lock the key in the bags...unlock then open the bag, remove the key from the lock and put it in the bag...then close the bag.

And that is with or without the lock mod. But I very rarely lock my bags so it not usually an issue

2wheelsforme
03-27-2020, 06:16 PM
True that! I also rarely ever lock the bags. My dummy key stays in place most of the time and is not very noticeable.

FarsideF6B
03-28-2020, 08:33 PM
True that! I also rarely ever lock the bags. My dummy key stays in place most of the time and is not very noticeable.

I like what you did with your key for the bags Mike so I'm doing the same thing. I just had a couple keys made. Looking for that cap you got.