PDA

View Full Version : Trip Planning

blackmetoc
04-26-2020, 09:45 AM
I am thinking of traveling out west. I have a workshop/meeting thing to go to at the end of summer. If it gets canceled I will still probably do this... I am thinking about taking leave, and riding out to UT from New Orleans, basically.

What is the best way to trip plan? What do you guys use? Know of any cool things I should plan to stop and see along the way? I will probably go through Albuquerque, NM. to see friends there.

F6Bster
04-26-2020, 10:06 AM
So much depends upon how much time you have. Hopefully things will be somewhat normalized by then.

A few of the things that I really enjoy are/were (just a few of the many):

Grand Canyon South Rim and North Rim
Zion National Park
Bryce Canyon National Park
UT-12 Red Canyon - Bryce Canyon - Escalante Grand Stair Case - Burr Trail (out to end of pavement and back) - Boulder Mountain
Capitol Reef National Park
Million Dollar Highway (US-550) Durango to Silverton to Ouray

jm21ddd15
04-26-2020, 10:46 AM
If you have the time, stay away from the interstates. Total boredom. Sure, it's slower on the two lanes, but you find things in small towns, that you never would see from the freeways. Like mom and pop resturaunts, and shops.

blackmetoc
04-26-2020, 11:12 AM
So much depends upon how much time you have. Hopefully things will be somewhat normalized by then.

Zion National Park
UT-12 Red Canyon - Bryce Canyon - Escalante Grand Stair Case - Burr Trail (out to end of pavement and back) - Boulder Mountain

Thanks! I'll take a look at them. I was living in San Diego in 2018 for work and drove back home here. I did the Grand Canyon and Carlsbad Caverns. I was trailering and had the dog w/ me. I am looking forward to this.

blackmetoc
04-26-2020, 11:13 AM
Yeah, at a minimum, I am just thinking about "Avoid Freeways" in WAZE and following where it takes me. I will leave time to burn. Having a few destinations along the way to see and phot is another thing I'm looking for.

Az Wingrider
04-26-2020, 12:55 PM
Sounds like a great opportunity for exploration. The areas mentioned by F6Bster are all great. If you are going to Albuquerque you might wander up to Taos which is a neat destination and then take US highways 64 and 84 through the Carson National Forrest to Chama (great steam train) and on to Pagosa Springs, Colorado. From Pagosa Springs you can access a lot of the great Colorado rides. Some of my favorites are Million Dollar Highway (US 550), Silver Thread (Co-149), Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Grand Mesa, and one of my favorites is from Cortez up CO-145, to Naturita then CO-90 through Bedrock to UT-45 to US-191 and into Moab.

If you move onto Utah it is an entirely different type of terrain. The places mentioned by F6Bster are all great riding in the southern part of the state. Zion is one of my favorite national parks and I always try to make time for it when I am in the area. Utah highways 12 and 24 are two of the greatest rides in the country and I urge to include them in your itinerary.

Have a great ride and tell us about it when its over
Az Wingrider

2wheelsforme
04-26-2020, 02:16 PM
I know everyone says stay off the super slab but it is the best way to get somewhere fast. If headed to a fantastic area like Col and Utah you need to get away from the bayou quickly. Nothing to see that compares to the Rockies across the route to get there. Hit I-49 and I-20 to the other side of Dallas then head North West and you will be in good roads by early the second day.

blackmetoc
04-26-2020, 02:31 PM
I know everyone says stay off the super slab but it is the best way to get somewhere fast. If headed to a fantastic area like Col and Utah you need to get away from the bayou quickly. Nothing to see that compares to the Rockies across the route to get there. Hit I-49 and I-20 to the other side of Dallas then head North West and you will be in good roads by early the second day.

Yeah, I live in this area, and feel no reason to take my time in here. I am thinking North TX or farther when I will start working my way around the smaller roads, terrain and seeing new sights. In the Delta, it is a nice stop to go see the BB King Museum if you like Blues.

blackmetoc
04-26-2020, 02:33 PM
Any planning software used? I have time to play, so may do a hodge podge of methods. I do not have a navigator on the bike or phone short of Waze, so I am not really programming waypoints, but that is pretty doable, once I research some spots and roads along the way. I have never ridden in that area, so I am looking forward to it.

Cali261
04-26-2020, 04:35 PM
Do yourself a HUGE favor and get yourself a Butler Motorcycle map. It highlights all the best routes and color codes the best ones. Not a lot of guessing left. They are made by riders, for riders. I took pics of my route and keep them on my phone as well. They go for about $14 bucks if I recall, and are worth every cent. They compliment the GPS in my opinion.

I’m planning a trip down the west coast, two things I’m considering at the moment, many places don’t currently allow people in the restroom, Starbucks, McDonald’s, gas stations. when I stop to eat, lots of places are takeout only, so I would have to eat on the bike, or find a place to sit.

Hopefully things will change and this is not the “new normal”

Ride safe

F6Pilot
04-26-2020, 08:29 PM
Take a look at Garmin Basecamp and Rever. You can run Rever on your phone.

F6Dave
04-27-2020, 08:09 AM
Others have suggested some great scenic roads that you won't regret. But there are also some great opportunities for nostalgia in that part of the country. Of course I'm talking about Route 66!

From OKC west, Route 66 runs pretty close to I-40 most of the time. There are plenty of museums and old businesses and attractions in various states of repair. If you stay in some of the old 'Mom and Pop' motels you'll be surprised at who you'll meet. People from around the world see the road as a part of American history you can still live. A few years ago I was staying in Tucumcari, New Mexico. In the parking lot I met a group of 9 Swiss police officers riding rented Harleys for a European magazine article. I also met 3 older men from Australia who purchased a '65 Thunderbird convertible in Nashville, and were driving it along Route 66 to L.A. where they planned to ship it back home. They all loved the freedom Route 66 represented.

I was in Tucumcari for a Valkyrie BBQ at the Blue Swallow Motel, which claims to be the oldest Route 66 motel in continuous operation. Here's a great picture:

http://dchealy.com/valk/blueswallow.jpg

SeaSteve
04-27-2020, 08:19 AM
I'm adding my agreement to Butler Maps (https://www.butlermaps.com/) and Rever Trip Planning (https://www.rever.co/), and actually you can get the Butler Maps ON the Rever trip planning app. It's expensive, I think $100 for a years subscription.

jmdaniel
04-27-2020, 10:26 AM

I agree. Get to the good stuff.

Az Wingrider
04-27-2020, 11:23 AM
As an option for route planning check Harley Davidson's website for their Harley Ride Planner, it is free and not hard to use. For years I used Microsoft Streets and Trips but they quit supporting and updating that in 2014. On Harley's website you will need to create a user profile and then select Ride Planner from the drop down menu. The first few times you use the ride planner might be a bit of a struggle but after you become familiar with it you will find it pretty easy to use. All trips you create will be stored under your profile then any trips can be converted to a gpx file which you can download to a GPS. I have found that I prefer this to Garmin Basecamp and that it is free is a bonus.

Enjoy the ride
Az Wingrider

adventurous1
04-29-2020, 12:23 AM
Zion National Park
[/QUOTE]
Good list. Independence Pass coming down from Aspen is quite nice. Did the Dolores loop 2 yrs ago - Hwy 145 up to Telluride - very scenic.

adventurous1
04-29-2020, 12:30 AM

Ah man - that road of nothingness kills me. Have only done it a couple times on a bike - several times in a car. Brutal.

rdbonds
04-30-2020, 06:22 AM
As an option for route planning check Harley Davidson's website for their Harley Ride Planner, it is free and not hard to use. For years I used Microsoft Streets and Trips but they quit supporting and updating that in 2014. On Harley's website you will need to create a user profile and then select Ride Planner from the drop down menu. The first few times you use the ride planner might be a bit of a struggle but after you become familiar with it you will find it pretty easy to use. All trips you create will be stored under your profile then any trips can be converted to a gpx file which you can download to a GPS. I have found that I prefer this to Garmin Basecamp and that it is free is a bonus.

Enjoy the ride
Az Wingrider

The only downside is every route is altered to take you to past HD dealerships, and lists prices of the T-shirts. :)

gadgeteer
04-30-2020, 06:56 AM
The only downside is every route is altered to take you to past HD dealerships, and lists prices of the T-shirts. :)

You can turn that feature off.
All in all, the HD app is pretty good. Mostly because it is not complicated. :cool:

OlyF6B
04-30-2020, 03:22 PM
IF you belong to AAA, go visit an office and work with a travel advisor to create "Trip Tix" for the proposed route. Then, using Google Maps, check out alternative roads that get you from Point A-B-C-D, etc. to gauge mileage and travel time for each segment. Once you settle on the route (# of miles/day, # of days, etc.), then do search for lodging options in or near your major waypoints.

If you don't belong to AAA... skip that part and just start with Google Maps.

Once I get a segment formalized, I screen grab the map and print it out to hardcopy in case my electronics go sideways.

Enjoy - hope the ride works out!

perohijo
05-02-2020, 07:44 AM

Zion National Park

Took that very route, with the exception of 550. Went from West Virginia to California then up to Washington, east on the north through Montana, Idaho, the Dakotas all the way to Michigan then back to West Virginia. Took me about a month and a Half. Left June the first and came back July the 20th.

F6Bster
05-02-2020, 10:37 AM
Took that very route, with the exception of 550. Went from West Virginia to California then up to Washington, east on the north through Montana, Idaho, the Dakotas all the way to Michigan then back to West Virginia. Took me about a month and a Half. Left June the first and came back July the 20th.
Sounds like an exceptional trip. I grew up in Lincoln County WV not far from Charleston. I though that you lived in WV, but now I see Palm Coast.

blackmetoc
05-02-2020, 05:37 PM
So good Nat King Cole sang a song about it!

blackmetoc
05-02-2020, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I'll start exploring options, calculating the leave to travel time match.

blackmetoc
05-02-2020, 06:10 PM
Do yourself a HUGE favor and get yourself a Butler Motorcycle map. It highlights all the best routes and color codes the best ones. Not a lot of guessing left. They are made by riders, for riders. I took pics of my route and keep them on my phone as well. They go for about $14 bucks if I recall, and are worth every cent. They compliment the GPS in my opinion.

I’m planning a trip down the west coast, two things I’m considering at the moment, many places don’t currently allow people in the restroom, Starbucks, McDonald’s, gas stations. when I stop to eat, lots of places are takeout only, so I would have to eat on the bike, or find a place to sit.

Hopefully things will change and this is not the “new normal”

Ride safe

Hopefully, by late July, we are largely out of this mess. and not being constrained.

blackmetoc
05-07-2020, 08:09 PM
Sounds like a great opportunity for exploration. The areas mentioned by F6Bster are all great. If you are going to Albuquerque you might wander up to Taos which is a neat destination and then take US highways 64 and 84 through the Carson National Forrest to Chama (great steam train) and on to Pagosa Springs, Colorado. From Pagosa Springs you can access a lot of the great Colorado rides. Some of my favorites are Million Dollar Highway (US 550), Silver Thread (Co-149), Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Grand Mesa, and one of my favorites is from Cortez up CO-145, to Naturita then CO-90 through Bedrock to UT-45 to US-191 and into Moab.

If you move onto Utah it is an entirely different type of terrain. The places mentioned by F6Bster are all great riding in the southern part of the state. Zion is one of my favorite national parks and I always try to make time for it when I am in the area. Utah highways 12 and 24 are two of the greatest rides in the country and I urge to include them in your itinerary.

Have a great ride and tell us about it when its over
Az Wingrider

I am bringing my camera!