PDA

View Full Version : K1600 b

2wheelsforme
05-12-2020, 04:30 PM
Yep I find myself attracted to this bike. I love my F6B and this thing looks a lot like it but with 160HP. Other advances also but there goes my Honda quality. I have a 03 VTX with over 50K and my 15 B with well over 50K and neither has ever had to go to a shop for repairs. One unneeded valve check on the X and the brake recall on the B before I got it at 10k. Would not expect that in a BMW but that 160 HP yikes. Price is not too hurtfull with lightly used or new leftovers for under 20K. A new HD CVO 117 pulled away from me last week and I was shocked. I got to ask Him if extra ump has been added, He always has on His past bikes. Yes or no 160 HP would fix that. Keep the B and add the beamer but they are so much alike and the garage is already full. I got to get this out of my head! I can get over the race by keep thinking it was a 14K bike against a 44K bike. It is still fun to wish.

jm21ddd15
05-12-2020, 06:02 PM
Good looking bike. I checked it out, too. But the lack of dealerships near me, and cost of maint and parts, were too much for my wallet. For example, I was looking at the R1200RT, and it requires valve adjustments every 8000 miles, and the engine must be cold. So, if I was to go to the dealership, which is 1 1/2 hours from me, I have to trailer it, and either sit and wait, or come back again the next day. And the dealership said they get around $400 for that job, on that model. Never mind the cost of my transporting it, and my time. If you have a dealer close by, or do your own valve adjusting, then maybe consider it. I have ridden several BMW's, and they seem fine, just not for me. I have 3 good friends, that all ride BMW's, not necessarily new bikes, but every trip with these 3 guys, at least 1 of them has problems. Usually electrical stuff. Anyone can change oil and filters, but all that electrical stuff, is usually above my comfort level.

2wheelsforme
05-12-2020, 07:13 PM
Reliability is my biggest concern. We do have a dealer here but I'm spoiled have been riding rice as some say for a long time. I most likely will not dive in as BMWs rating is worse than HD. But still it is fun to dream.

rdbonds
05-13-2020, 06:34 AM
2wheelsforme - The K1600 sure is a nice bike. I've sat on one, but not ridden it. I agree with your concern about reliability. BMWs are not Hondas, that is for sure. I've got an R1200GSA and it's a great bike and makes a great complement to the F6b, but the forum for that bike is much more lively with the stories of "X happened, now how do I fix it?" :)

jm21ddd15 - On the K1600, it looks like the valve checks are called for at 18k miles, BUT unlike the R1200RT (all R bikes) and the F6b, it's not a boxer engine with the heads pointed out, so the valves are a bit more of a challenge to get to. A quick search seems to indicate about $1k for that service, including spark plugs. Of course, on the F6b, THAT job is easy, while the air filter is a half-day affair. :)

That said, I've always been a proponent of riding what makes you want to ride more...I say take one for a ride and see if you fall in love.

Ewreck
05-13-2020, 09:09 AM
Test road the BMW in Sturgis last year and not a fan of how I fit on the bike. The extra horsepower is meaningless if you’re uncomfortable. I’ve had many bikes, mostly HD, and the B is the most comfortable bike I’ve ever had. My biggest complaint is all the plastic and crappy fasteners. Oil changes are child’s play while air filters are rocket science. Thanks Honda.

Switchmonkey
05-13-2020, 01:24 PM
Try the new Rocket III

2wheelsforme
05-13-2020, 03:42 PM
Took a look on line at the new R3s, wow! I did not know that 2020 brought such a change, more HP and that single sided swingarm is fantastic looking I think. I plan tomorrow to go look in person at the local Triumph place, they have both the R and the GT. Might look at the Beamer also as they have two on the floor at Adventure Motor Sports. Of course Triumphs do not have the Honda quality either. It is completely diff from the F6B though.

Airborne06
05-20-2020, 09:05 AM
The R3 GT is a great looking bike! I sat on one at our local dealer....my wallet started vibrating so I know it was time to leave before I did something impulsive!

05-20-2020, 09:36 AM
The R3 GT is a great looking bike! I sat on one at our local dealer....my wallet started vibrating so I know it was time to leave before I did something impulsive!

I NEED a new R18.

wjduke
05-22-2020, 11:00 AM
Funny, I just watched an 18 wing and the 1600 comparison on you tube yesterday. Very close, but they did decide the BMW won. Larger gas tank, quicker, more storage. One guy still would take the wing though. Guess it a close coin flip, or as someone here said, how it feels to you. That’s the most important thing.

Blk6bgg6
05-25-2020, 04:06 PM
I owned f6b and enjoyed much.Traded for 2019 wing owned 6 weeks never connected.So I sold that and bought 2019 k1600b.Wow do I like this bike , it's perfect for me.I don't anticipate parting with this motorcycle. Gear shift assist is amazing, the bike rides so smooth.I've never owned bmw and their weird to a lot of people but I don't mind .The handling in corners is well much sporty.Actually this bike is sport tourer in my opinion. Lots of good motorcycles to choose from

six2go
05-25-2020, 04:21 PM
Funny, I just watched an 18 wing and the 1600 comparison on you tube yesterday. Very close, but they did decide the BMW won. Larger gas tank, quicker, more storage. One guy still would take the wing though. Guess it a close coin flip, or as someone here said, how it feels to you. That’s the most important thing.

I may be wrong(I was once)but I think R18 is referring to that new huge boxer twin from BMW.

wjduke
05-25-2020, 05:26 PM
Not sure I understand. The comparison was a 2018 Goldwing tour and the BMW 1600, not sure of the model. They were very similar to each other.

six2go
05-25-2020, 06:10 PM
Not sure I understand. The comparison was a 2018 Goldwing tour and the BMW 1600, not sure of the model. They were very similar to each other.

Yeah, you're right. My bad. I thought I had seen a reference in this thread somewhere to the new BMW R18 Cruiser. That makes twice! :039:

RuneRider66
05-27-2020, 11:20 AM
I sold my 3rd B for a BMW K1600GT. Its a freaking Torque Monster. But I did put a pair of headers on it and then added a Bren Tune. But oh my goodness the HP and Torque make me grin and smile whenever I ride it. Just took it on a 1600 mile trip. Its a 2019. Bought it from a guy with 287 miles on it for 19k after he paid 28k for it the year before. Still has 2 years of warranty on it. There are some differences. But 100 lbs lighter then the B and with all kinds of HP and Torque and Electronics.

RuneRider66
05-27-2020, 11:28 AM