PDA

View Full Version : Covid and Riding my notice

Pumper
05-21-2020, 11:01 AM
My wife and I are hanging out at our place in the Black Hills...so we ride quite abit, during the lockdown, SoDak, did not engage with that. Many places were/are open and such...

Anyway, traffic is non-existant, State and National Parks, closed, but not blocked off...Riding is the some of the best in the USA here, now zero traffic...
Fast foward, since MN and WI has loosened their restrictions. Traffic with RV's and all the toys, has increased considerably....oh well, I still ride Needles aand Iron Mnt. without seeing a cage for 10 miles...To me that is a small piece of Heaven..
Peace out...
Stay safe and healthy.
Pumper

TheWalrus
05-21-2020, 12:27 PM
That is great Pumper. It would be awesome if I could ride those roads now!
I did the Sturgis thing many years ago. We did Needles Hwy and waited forever it seemed to get through that tiny rock tunnel. :mad:

JackB
05-21-2020, 03:23 PM
We were there last fall traffic was light riding was great

Cali261
05-21-2020, 07:36 PM
I was hoping to ride out to a Paso Robles, North to Salinas, then down Hwy 1 along the coast. Any members here have info I should know about? I know restaurants are still take-out only.

Leaving Memorial Day.

Thanks.

Ride safe.

wjduke
05-22-2020, 08:39 AM
I’m hoping to do a southern road trip while I’m laid off. My concern isn’t traffic as much as accommodations. I have family all over, but because of the virus, visiting doesn’t seem feasible. I have no problem using hotels but hoping they’ll be available to me. The south is opening quicker than here. We’ll be one of the last, and so will my job, a bus driver.

ReserveBum
05-22-2020, 10:37 AM
My wife and I are hanging out at our place in the Black Hills...so we ride quite abit, during the lockdown, SoDak, did not engage with that. Many places were/are open and such...

Anyway, traffic is non-existant, State and National Parks, closed, but not blocked off...Riding is the some of the best in the USA here, now zero traffic...
Fast foward, since MN and WI has loosened their restrictions. Traffic with RV's and all the toys, has increased considerably....oh well, I still ride Needles aand Iron Mnt. without seeing a cage for 10 miles...To me that is a small piece of Heaven..
Peace out...
Stay safe and healthy.
Pumper

Great news Pumper. I have had reservations for Spearfish for a year and we have been concerned about being able to go or not. We are really looking forward to it and hoping the traffic does not increase much by the time we get there in mid June.

choptop
05-23-2020, 07:30 AM
Will be heading that way as part of a 9 night Yellowstone trip, if all goes as hoped and earlier, pre virus, planned. Lol

a1scoot
05-23-2020, 12:58 PM
I rode thru Carmel and along that coastline yesterday...Most of the pullouts that have a view were coned off...
What is newsom smoking?

F6Joe
05-23-2020, 08:15 PM
We had nearly zero traffic for a long time, now its getting much heavier. Wa, Or, Id have some AMAZING riding, seems the word is out.
(Western Washington St)

Cali261
05-23-2020, 10:47 PM
I rode thru Carmel and along that coastline yesterday...Most of the pullouts that have a view were coned off...
What is newsom smoking?

Maybe he is reserving space for homeless encampments? If you drink the punch, you’ll see. In skid row they share needles and crack pipes even now, with not one cone in sight.

Sorry for the rant, ride safe.

Skromfols
05-24-2020, 01:47 PM
This damn virus has become a political football. If you're a Democrat it seems that you want to keep everything closed down, and if you're a Republican you want to open it back up and let people go back to earning a living. I've been riding up here in Norther California and while the traffic is a little lighter than normal, it doesn't seem a great deal different than before the virus. Many of the State parks are open, but parking is blocked off so that only locals can use the parks. And while filling stations are open, their bathrooms are mostly closed off, so you can buy gas, but not relieve yourself. I've been renovating one of my rentals and Lowe's and Home Depot are packed, so is Walmart. But churches are closed and I can't get a haircut. The local donut shop and Pizza parlor are open for take out business, but the fitness center is closed. It's a strange, strange world these days.

wjduke
05-25-2020, 05:33 PM
Went to Maine today, Memorial Day. Weather wasn’t great, but it was basically dead. This is a high tourist area, Kittery. Not surprised at all, seems that Maine has the same closure rules we have in Mass. we did eat at a place, order, wait outside, eat outside. Summer will not be the same in New England. I feel bad for businesses.

choptop
05-27-2020, 08:21 AM
Wi. Supreme Court over road the Gov's order on the quarantine and we are getting some semblance of normalcy back, some. Many have not yet received their government check or unemployment, it is a mess and some don't want to go back to work because they are making more on unemployment... I going to try and put it behind me for a while w/a 9 night South Dakota/Yellowstone trip in about 2 weeks if things work out...

Pumper
05-27-2020, 11:53 AM
Spot on Chop...I see Hudstone had a major street fight, the other night...LOL Flatlanders crossing the border. They figured out what happens when a Badger goes down a Gopher hole...LOL
Gonna be gone most month of June, back late June.