PDA

View Full Version : *Crampbuster Caution*

wjduke
06-10-2020, 08:55 PM
Had a situation tonight I feel I should share. I have a Crampbuster, recent purchase. Now, I had one before two bikes ago, but it’s been years now. Tonight I was exiting the highway on a very familiar off ramp. I like to come off a little hot, as it’s a long right hand sweeper and I enjoy gunning it from there. It’s a quiet straight shot before the next merge. My little excitement. Well, when I went to countersteer, my palm hit the Crampbuster, goosed the throttle, and almost sent me into the left guardrail. I was on an inside line and luckily had time to adjust. Gave me a scare for a split second. From now on, that thing will be in a neutral position, instead of a set position. I’ll flip it around the grip when needed. First time I had that happen and it could have been a bad scene.

Cali261
06-10-2020, 09:41 PM
I’m glad you’re ok. Thank you for sharing and possibly saving someone some pain.

StoichSix
06-11-2020, 12:06 AM
I used to have a crampbuster. It's a very good tool and really helps on longer rides but it takes time to get used to riding with something like that installed. I never had any issues driving around with it on the roadways but I have had a few instances during slow speed maneuvering where in tighter turns my palm would get on it and suddenly accelerate. I started to feel like it was going to dump me over at some point. I had to set it further down on the grip in a neutral position and then it was no longer useful to me. I never got comfortable with it and had to take it off.

TheWalrus
06-11-2020, 04:07 PM
I had the same issue with the longer Kuryakyn throttle boss. It's a bit over two inches and mounted at the end of the grip. But in curves I did find that my palm edge would catch it and give an unwanted goose in the throttle. I decided to shorten it by breaking off the pad part, now I don't hit it accidentally. I had scratched it a bit installing so couldn't return it.
http://store.valueaccessories.net/images/products/thumb/6318.jpg

I should have bought the shorter one.
http://store.valueaccessories.net/images/products/thumb/6319.jpg

wjduke
06-13-2020, 05:04 PM
Like I mentioned, I feel that if it’s in a more neutral position, it would be fine. I went on a long ride today and didn’t use it. I used the cruise. So, now it might be more of an ornament, but I’m really undecided yet. It’s still new and needs more time.