PDA

View Full Version : Torq Loopz

Smallyy
12-11-2013, 06:04 AM
For anyone who suffers from a droning exhaust I would recommend installing Torq Loopz. I have the cobra 6-2-6 mufflers with all baffles in and it now sounds like a bike not a car. The cats are the main cause of the drone and the bike runs a little better without them.

Steve 0080
12-11-2013, 09:21 AM
When, Where, Why, How much, and a Link???????

GiddyupF6B
12-11-2013, 09:29 AM
When, Where, Why, How much, and a Link???????

Jimmy at Torqmaster sells them. You have to cut your exhaust to get them on. He has a bolt on kit to replace the bike back to stock after cutting if you need to.

Bruce B
12-11-2013, 11:49 AM
I had "Dragon Packs" on my Valkyrie. They were truck stacks with glass packs inside. Had a bad drone to them. The Valk, of course, had no catalytic converter. Why then, I'm wondering, was there a drone if the drone on the F6B is being attributed to the cats. I understand that there's a difference between the systems but still, the drone seems to be the same. On the F6B, I really like my black Rush pipes but did go to the smaller 2.25" baffles to reduce drone to a comfortable level.

4DI2D
12-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Does the ECU recalibrate itself after the mod without any side effects?

Scotrod
12-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Looks like a rather involved process to install the loops,,, A real "Got to want it!" kind of adventure,,,

Surely, some one, somewhere, has used shorter, mostly straight sections of 'full sized' pipe on a GL1800 instead of the smaller diameter loops to "Kill the Cats",,, (I had heard once that he 'loops' were more benefical on older, smaller displacement Wings :shrug: ) Has a ~modern~ "H" pipe been tried?

I understand about velocity/scavenging,,, but wonder what others have tried on 18's,,,

(FWIW, I most likely won't be changing my OEM Cat system, but I do like to hear about other folks adventures with mods.)

MichaelG
12-11-2013, 01:44 PM
I had "Dragon Packs" on my Valkyrie. They were truck stacks with glass packs inside. Had a bad drone to them. The Valk, of course, had no catalytic converter. Why then, I'm wondering, was there a drone if the drone on the F6B is being attributed to the cats. I understand that there's a difference between the systems but still, the drone seems to be the same. On the F6B, I really like my black Rush pipes but did go to the smaller 2.25" baffles to reduce drone to a comfortable level.

Bruce, the drone is not due to the catalytic converters...but is due...in part...to the cross-over pipe between the two cats.

Plugging that cross-over pipe, or eliminating it, resolves the drone issue. There are other ways to resolve the drone issue.

MichaelG
12-11-2013, 07:00 PM
Okay, since the original title to this thread is...Torq Loopz....I went ahead and ordered a set of Torq Loopz for my own bike today.

That's right......Torq Loopz on a lightning strike bike...double your pleasure...double your fun:thumb:

opas ride
12-11-2013, 07:07 PM
Let us know how they work out for you.....Thanks

Hornblower
12-11-2013, 07:40 PM
Okay, since the original title to this thread is...Torq Loopz....I went ahead and ordered a set of Torq Loopz for my own bike today.

That's right......Torq Loopz on a lightning strike bike...double your pleasure...double your fun:thumb:

I'm seriously considering this mod myself. I have the Torq Master Daytona slip-ons and have a bit more drone than I like. In talking to Jimmy at Torq Master Pipes, I basically have 3 options to reduce drone which are:

Torq Loopz

Cutting and plugging the crossover pipe

Installing baffles

Definitely let us know what the install is like for the Torq Loopz. If it's not too difficult, I will probably go that route as well.

Scotrod
12-11-2013, 08:56 PM
Definitely let us know what the install is like for the Torq Loopz. If it's not too difficult, I will probably go that route as well.

There are installation instructions on the Vendors website. (Link posted above)

MercuryF1
12-11-2013, 10:58 PM

How are the T. Loopz working out for you Miles?

MichaelG
12-12-2013, 12:20 AM
How are the T. Loopz working out for you Miles?

Mercury, I know it is a different time zone in Malaysia, but....come on, Man ! I just ordered them today, and as my earlier posted stated, they will be shipped from the manufacturer this Friday, which is two days from now.

So, in answer to your question...WOW, they are working great.:icon_wink:

MercuryF1
12-12-2013, 01:07 AM
Mercury, I know it is a different time zone in Malaysia, but....come on, Man ! I just ordered them today, and as my earlier posted stated, they will be shipped from the manufacturer this Friday, which is two days from now.

So, in answer to your question...WOW, they are working great.:icon_wink:

haha. I thought time was traveling at the speed of light(ning)!!

Would you know of another vendor for these Loopz? cos my shipper is in California and according to Torq Master website, he doesn't not ship to California. :banghead: Wingstuff do not sell it too.

FlaMike
12-12-2013, 03:56 AM
Would you know of another vendor for these Loopz? cos my shipper is in California and according to Torq Master website, he doesn't not ship to California. :banghead: Wingstuff do not sell it too.

Torque Master is in California but he can't sell (EPA) them to be used in California. Since your definitely not in Ca, I'd call him (Jimmy) to see what could be worked out.

Also contact Wingstuff. They got all his other stuff and although they don't list the loops, they might be able to get em.

Smallyy
12-12-2013, 04:06 AM
Anyone planning on installing torq loopz might want to order some extra parts as I did.
Honda part # 18291-MN5-650. Qty/6. (Header gaskets)
" " # 18391-MAM-000. Qty/2. (Extra header to loopz seals)
" " # 18293-MCA-780. Qty/8. (Protector washers for side covers)

I consider the header gaskets a must.
The extra header to loopz seals are a nice to have as it fills the flared end fully and helps keep the seal in the correct position when clamped.
I placed two seals in the flared end then marked the excess 1/4" with a marker then removed it and cut the excess with tin snips.
Place the cut gasket in first then the full one.
Install without any sealant as you have to make sure the tabs for the exhaust shields and lower side covers all line up and fit you may need to move the loops forward or back. I then marked their position slid them back and used some high temp silicone to help seal.
The fitting instructions provided where good.
I must say they are not pretty and the welds were very ordinary.
There were no nuts provided, you need a nut for the original bolt to mount the loopz which I got from the cats by bending a keeper tab and a nut for the original bolt holding the muffler shield.
I recommend reading the installation instructions on there site if tempted to decide if you are up to the install.
Very worthwhile mod in my opinion hope this helps.

MercuryF1
12-12-2013, 07:19 AM
Torque Master is in California but he can't sell (EPA) them to be used in California. Since your definitely not in Ca, I'd call him (Jimmy) to see what could be worked out.

I wanted to get some black chrome inverted king snake pipes from him but he would not sell it to me! Hence I had to go for the Cobras instead.

Deer Slayer
12-12-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm seriously considering this mod myself. I have the Torq Master Daytona slip-ons and have a bit more drone than I like. In talking to Jimmy at Torq Master Pipes, I basically have 3 options to reduce drone which are:

Torq Loopz

Cutting and plugging the crossover pipe

Installing baffles

And you know two guys with table lifts. :icon_special:

MSGT-R
12-12-2013, 09:58 AM
Naww, they crawl around on their bellies like reptiles to install pipes..

The EPA has gotten on everyone's butt in California over modification of exhaust systems. You can thank the howling sport bikes and the thundering Harleys for all that..

Used to be that all you had to do was order with the "off road only" disclaimer and the installation was the owner's responsibility. Now they are knocking on the doors of the manufacturers and doing audits.

MercuryF1
12-12-2013, 09:53 PM
I managed to get around the California hurdle and just bought a set off ebay! :yes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-GL1800-Torque-Master-Loopz-exhaust-/271345445785?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f2d72eb99&vxp=mtr#ht_189wt_1133

Scotrod
12-12-2013, 10:46 PM
Keep your fingers crossed,,, The add didn't say international shipping,,,

Hope it works out!

Mustangjake
12-13-2013, 08:54 AM
I have everything (big hammer-saws all-mig welder) I will try making new pipes soon, I had surgery on my left hand 3 weeks ago and on my right Tuesday as soon as I can get under there I will start cutting ! If nothing else I will cut the crossover an plug it !

Scotrod
12-13-2013, 09:04 AM
I have everything (big hammer-saws all-mig welder) I will try making new pipes soon, I had surgery on my left hand 3 weeks ago and on my right Tuesday as soon as I can get under there I will start cutting ! If nothing else I will cut the crossover an plug it !

An H pipe that didn't require a full forward-exhaust removal to install would be nice,,,

MercuryF1
12-14-2013, 11:29 AM

Miles, can you be so kind to do a step-by-step pictures or videos of the installation when your Loopz arrives? Thanks a lot!

MichaelG
12-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Miles, can you be so kind to do a step-by-step pictures or videos of the installation when your Loopz arrives? Thanks a lot!

Wow, that is asking a lot for a One-eyed, one-horned, flying purple people eater to do. If I can get Kevin (kjelders) to come over that day, he can video tape the entire process, while munching on the homemade Pumpkin Muffins I make.

BUT..I have to say, having given this job some thought prior to the pipes and torq loops showing up, and having a fairly complete shop, I do not intend to remove or even loosen the header pipes at all. I intend to cut the header pipes, in place, and slide the torq loops onto the header pipes.

hondabikepro
12-14-2013, 05:22 PM
Ken, I will keep, you and the rest of the gang informed when I actually install these Torq Loopz, and...my new Torq Master Daytona pipes.

Now, I have to give credit to Terri...MSGT-R...for her being the trailerblazer on these Daytona pipes on the F6B bikes. Yes, I did see your bike in Franklin, and I liked them there. (one night, while you were asleep, I snuck out of the hotel and cuddled up next to your Daytona mufflers, just to get a feel for them):039:

Ken, my bike will be out there in March for the Daytona/Key West ride, so you can check them out at that time, if you don't buy some earlier. :shhh:

OK OK i see how i rate not even a invite, and only five miles away, you could come to my place i will cut off your old system with a plasma cutter!!!!! or a torch with a plugged up tip, and roll you some new mufflers, in my sheet medal roller, and use the tubing berder to make some five inch pipes, that will not drone!! ha ha, and buy lunch, now thats a deal if ever there was one. dale

Mustangjake
12-15-2013, 09:55 PM
There are step by step instructions on there web site and they are free!

BIGLRY
12-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Information from a link on installing Torq Loopz without needlessly removing the complete exhaust (large cut off saw to remove cats) and the way I'll be installing mine. :yes:

A common complaint of most aftermarket systems for Goldwings is droning at highway speeds. There seems to be two solutions. Put the stock exhaust back on, or install Torq Loopz to replace the converters and crossover pipe. For some reason the Torq Loopz reduce or eliminate the drone. After I installed the Torq Master Mufflers I took it for a short test drive. It had a nice growl, and maybe a little drone at certain speeds. It was hard to tell since I only rode it for a few miles. I decided to go ahead and put on Torq Loopz since it was winter and the bike was still apart.

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q787/Hondaf6b/fb4f0a87-8b6f-431c-9ca5-112e8c1c230d_zps9e7340b1.png (http://s1359.photobucket.com/user/Hondaf6b/media/fb4f0a87-8b6f-431c-9ca5-112e8c1c230d_zps9e7340b1.png.html)

The hardest part about installing the Torq Loopz is cutting the converters off. The exhaust is cut 1 5/8" to 1 3/4" from the weld. The instructions say to drop the whole exhaust system, but I was able to cut the pipes in place with a large cutoff wheel.

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q787/Hondaf6b/ec338600-aa2c-4587-b226-56793f1adc94_zps13d87e8f.png (http://s1359.photobucket.com/user/Hondaf6b/media/ec338600-aa2c-4587-b226-56793f1adc94_zps13d87e8f.png.html)

The converters and crossover pipe.

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q787/Hondaf6b/8bc228b4-a099-4a57-bef8-4239793558bf_zps25f49715.png (http://s1359.photobucket.com/user/Hondaf6b/media/8bc228b4-a099-4a57-bef8-4239793558bf_zps25f49715.png.html)

The Loopz use existing mounting holes. Bolt them loosely in place. Install the mufflers. Adjust so the covers fit, then tighten everything and check for leaks.
When I fired it up in the garage it already sounded quieter...almost stock sounding but with a little rumble. I'll update as I get some miles on the system.

hondabikepro
12-24-2013, 02:49 PM
am i missing something here?? what happen to the o2 sensors?? dale

4DI2D
12-24-2013, 04:39 PM
They moved them forward so we could modify our exhaust system more easily.

BIGLRY
12-25-2013, 02:55 PM
They moved them forward so we could modify our exhaust system more easily.Yep:yes::icon_lol: