PDA

View Full Version : Rain X

wjduke
06-22-2020, 07:10 PM
Is Rain X bad for motorcycle shields? I have a solo trip planned for the Smokies during the last two weeks of July. I’m keeping it solo because of the virus, hence, not looking to meet up necessarily.
I’ve been binge watching You Tube videos of bikers traveling, and when they’re caught in rain, not one can see through the shield. I sit and and ask myself why. Either that or wax or something similar will have rain rolling right off. What am I missing?

Az Wingrider
06-22-2020, 07:37 PM
Rain-X now makes a protectant for plastics. It is what you should buy for both your windshields and face shields on your helmet. The original Rain-X is for glass and it will likely cloud your acrylic windshield and face shield.

Just my 2 cents worth but I would not use regular Rain-X on my windshield

Az Wingrider

Ewreck
06-22-2020, 07:51 PM
Just slap some carnuba wax on it. Any brand will do.

rdbonds
06-22-2020, 08:12 PM
Yes, I've got a buddy who uses the regular rain-x on his helmet shield and his windscreen with apparently no ill effects, but I think I'd be more comfy using their plastic-specific formula.

Many, many moons ago, I used rain-x on my car windscreens, but it was an ongoing battle to get rid of the "haze" that develops, so I eventually stopped using it. Spritzing it with water and buffing after application seemed to help, but I never seemed to get rid of that hazy glare at night in rain.

wjduke
06-23-2020, 06:42 AM
Guess I’ll look for the plastic formula or the wax! Thanks for responding.

Defiant77
06-23-2020, 07:01 AM
Try Plexus. Developed specifically for aircraft canopy and works extremely well on m/c windshields and all plastic parts.

jmdaniel
06-23-2020, 07:55 AM
Try Plexus. Developed specifically for aircraft canopy and works extremely well on m/c windshields and all plastic parts.

That's what I use. Seems expensive, but a little goes a very long way.

six2go
06-23-2020, 09:14 AM
Can't beat Plexus. No streaks, no haze, and water runs right off.

rdbonds
06-23-2020, 01:53 PM
YES! I should have thought of that. The stuff (Plexus) is awesome. Have used it before too. Agree. No streaking or fogging at all.

woody
06-23-2020, 04:00 PM
Yes, I've got a buddy who uses the regular rain-x on his helmet shield and his windscreen with apparently no ill effects, but I think I'd be more comfy using their plastic-specific formula.

Many, many moons ago, I used rain-x on my car windscreens, but it was an ongoing battle to get rid of the "haze" that develops, so I eventually stopped using it. Spritzing it with water and buffing after application seemed to help, but I never seemed to get rid of that hazy glare at night in rain.

Totally agree I used it on my car and found the same "haze" build up after using it for some time. Nothing would remove it including Prepsol.

wjduke
06-26-2020, 02:12 PM
That's what I use. Seems expensive, but a little goes a very long way.

It doesn’t seem expensive, it is! $24 for the SMALL spray can. You guys have expensive taste. I wanted small for the saddlebag. Found it at Cycle Gear, about 30 miles away. The finish is noticeable right away and don’t you know, I caught a shower today. The water didn’t fly off the shield, but I wasn’t at highway speed either. Hoping it does last. I’ll end up with the wax option otherwise.

jmdaniel
06-27-2020, 05:46 AM
It doesn’t seem expensive, it is! $24 for the SMALL spray can. You guys have expensive taste. I wanted small for the saddlebag. Found it at Cycle Gear, about 30 miles away. The finish is noticeable right away and don’t you know, I caught a shower today. The water didn’t fly off the shield, but I wasn’t at highway speed either. Hoping it does last. I’ll end up with the wax option otherwise.

I paid less than that for a can the same size as a normal spray paint can, 2-3 years ago. I easily have at least 75% of it left. Peanuts...

wjduke
06-27-2020, 07:18 AM
I paid less than that for a can the same size as a normal spray paint can, 2-3 years ago. I easily have at least 75% of it left. Peanuts...

I agree if it lasts that long. I don’t plan on using it every single cleaning. Mostly got it for this trip I’m taking. Higher cost of living in the NE. Massachusetts isn’t known as taxachusetts for nothing!