PDA

View Full Version : F6B shifting problems

stevenolts
07-17-2020, 11:25 AM
I just took my 2013 in because of shifting problems. I am still waiting to hear what they say. It is still under warranty.
I have 40,000 miles on my F6B.

Has anyone else ever taken their Goldwing in for warranty work on the shift problem?

Stevenolts

stevenolts@gmail.com

I saw a youtube story about John Keller having a problem

John Keller please email me at stevenolts@gmail.com

F6Bster
07-17-2020, 11:51 AM
What is the problem you are having?

stevenolts
07-17-2020, 12:15 PM
When I downshift from 3rf to 2nd and the accelerate after a cost it chugs or slips into gear all the way. It is a very disconcerting feeling.
I have never had a problem with all my other bikes. I have never even had replace a clutch.

I have 247,000 miles on my 99 Honda Accord with the original clutch.

stevenolts
07-17-2020, 12:16 PM
sorry about the typos

F6Bster
07-17-2020, 01:26 PM
Will be interesting to see responses and what the dealer says. I put 154k miles on my 2002 Wing and about 21k on my 2016 F6B. Never a clutch issue. Every once in a while both would jump up into 4th when I have done a lazy shift from 3rd and thought it had gone into 4th. Rare, but happens when I don’t lift the shifter hard enough. Never happens with proper engine speed and firm lift on the shifter.

Hope you get it figured out.

98valk
07-21-2020, 11:26 AM
When I down shift from 3rd to 2nd, I can feel a spot where the shift could stay there and be inbetween gears. It is like how neutral feels as you down shift from 2nd to 1st. I make sure that I go through that spot. Could you be stopping the shift too soon?

SeaSteve
07-22-2020, 08:53 AM
First...The best solution I've found is to shift solidly through the gears.

Second...To do that the shifter lever needs to be in the right place for your foot.

I had mine modified by DH Racing (http://www.dhsracing.com/GL-1800.htm). Had this done last year and I aligned the shifter lever to fit me on the stock seat. Last month I get used Ultimate seat here on the forum, which sat me back further and through my shifter lever out of alignment. I got back under and adjusted it again to solve my occasional "in-between or missed gear" shifting problems.

Probably the best mod so far...OH! Forgot to add the mod shortens the shifter throw at the lever, improving the odds you won't fall "in-between" gears.

Audiochris90
08-04-2020, 06:43 PM
Its weird but I had this issue a lot more when i used amsoil. I went to the honda full synthetic and it got better. Then i tried the honda synthetic and natural blend. Much better, has not happened since. Also some great advice from Big Larry. Only upshift above 3k rpms. His advice was actually 4k but the 3k rule works well for me.

Audiochris90
08-04-2020, 06:45 PM
I just took my 2013 in because of shifting problems. I am still waiting to hear what they say. It is still under warranty.
I have 40,000 miles on my F6B.

Has anyone else ever taken their Goldwing in for warranty work on the shift problem?

Stevenolts

stevenolts@gmail.com

I saw a youtube story about John Keller having a problem

John Keller please email me at stevenolts@gmail.com

Keep us posted Steve.

tenxxx
08-05-2020, 11:04 AM
There is a neutral spot between every gear that can be found if you try.
I can feel the clunk your talking about on my 13 Black.
And have found a neutral between 2nd and 3rd and 3rd and 4th.
Sounds like the design of the tranny could use some help.
All my other Honda's shift very easy and quiet.

ridinglearn
08-05-2020, 02:05 PM
there is nothing wrong with it. Just change your oil to some fully synthetic, get you engine flushed before hand and then just adjust your clutch lever. there should be only be a 0.5 to 1.5 cm play.
After all that, your problem should be solved. I only gets my my engine flushed every 15k miles and till now i never faced any engine related problems. Just changed the chain and sprockets but after clocking 60k miles i think it is normal.

Another problem could be you are not pressing your clutch lever fully or the play of your clutch lever is more than 1.5 cm or you are just not pressing the the gear lever hard enough to shift between the gears.
Before doing any of this, i would suggest simply check your clutch lever adjust the play and try to shift gears firmly while pressing the full clutch lever.
I hope it can help. Keep us posted about it.

woody
08-05-2020, 04:25 PM
Adjust the play on the clutch lever?

six2go
08-05-2020, 04:43 PM
Chain and sprockets?

wjduke
08-05-2020, 08:12 PM
Adjust the play on the clutch lever?

There is an adjustment, but I don’t think it adjusts play(Hydraulic), just the throw of the lever.

ridinglearn
08-06-2020, 01:33 PM
Chain and sprockets?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fpinwallcycle.com%2Fadvanced_sear ch_result.php%3Fkeywords%3Dgoldwing%26search_in_de scription%3D1%26sort%3D1a%26page%3D186&psig=AOvVaw0fvhNjIT5pzxtYa53IeUbY&ust=1596824734823000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCNjvxfOZh-sCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAG

ridinglearn
08-06-2020, 01:37 PM
There is an adjustment, but I don’t think it adjusts play(Hydraulic), just the throw of the lever.

Yea, but that affects the shifting. If there is no play than it can hurt the clutch plates or if it is more than normal than the the gear shifter is a bit hard and requires a bit more push and pull for shifting between gears.
Check this Vid, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DJyTxX-u_c

six2go
08-06-2020, 02:34 PM
ridinglearn,
Your links don't even apply to an F6B. There are no sprockets and chain in the driveline and the youtube link applies to a cable actuated clutch which we don't have. The clutch on an F6B is hydraulic with no free play adjustment.

DaWadd
08-07-2020, 07:42 AM
Very confusing. Chains and sprockets WTF?

billsim
08-07-2020, 10:10 PM
Its weird but I had this issue a lot more when i used amsoil. I went to the honda full synthetic and it got better. Then i tried the honda synthetic and natural blend. Much better, has not happened since. Also some great advice from Big Larry. Only upshift above 3k rpms. His advice was actually 4k but the 3k rule works well for me.

Always hated the way my 2013 shifted. Tried a few different techniques but shift were clunky at best. Just tried your suggestion to shift at 3K or above and it feels a LOT better. Can't believe how much smoother the shifts are!!!!!
Thanks a million!

Audiochris90
08-08-2020, 09:46 AM
Always hated the way my 2013 shifted. Tried a few different techniques but shift were clunky at best. Just tried your suggestion to shift at 3K or above and it feels a LOT better. Can't believe how much smoother the shifts are!!!!!
Thanks a million!
I have found big larry to be one smart cookie.

ridinglearn
08-10-2020, 01:32 PM
ridinglearn,
Your links don't even apply to an F6B. There are no sprockets and chain in the driveline and the youtube link applies to a cable actuated clutch which we don't have. The clutch on an F6B is hydraulic with no free play adjustment.
"busted"