PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare on the BRP

wjduke
07-21-2020, 06:22 PM
Had a great morning, but the afternoon, not so much. As soon as I hit NC, I got caught in some rains. More like heavy downpours and lightning. I was blinded by it all, but kept on. Bad idea. At mile marker 310, and I’ll never forget it, I pulled into an overlook. I couldn’t see 10’ in front of me, misjudged the edge of the pavement, and she tipped. I went flying, not hurt, the bike suffered scratches, not a disaster. I couldn’t lift her, but two guys got out and helped. Like a fool, I kept on, blind and I’m not kidding. To say I was soaked through everything, would be an understatement. I might invest in waterproof boots next time. That way I wouldn’t have had to dump water out of them. I thought this would be my last day on earth. One thing about the BRP...there’s no where to hide. I made it to Little Switzerland. Tomorrow will be a new day!

F6Bster
07-21-2020, 06:38 PM
The BRP can do that for sure. About 7 years ago a buddy and I were riding south from north of Roanoke in mid-October. Beautiful fall weather. Quick change down south. We planned to go all the way to Cherokee and meet some other Gold Wing guys. Rain. Dense fog/clouds. Visibility ZERO. We just wanted off, but exits few and far between. Made it to I-77 exit and grabbed a room at the Hampton Inn post-haste! So glad to be there. More rain coming, so we headed west to Arkansas and enjoyed several days of great fall riding. Arrived in Bartlesville, OK on a beautiful 80 evening. Woke up the next morning with snow coming down. We stayed an extra night. The weather cleared, but it was a cold ride on to Colorado. Thanks goodness for Gerbings!!!

wjduke
07-22-2020, 05:26 AM
I have rain gear but it started light then came down heavy. I really should have stopped at an overlook, but I was already soaked and would be sitting there in it anyway. Today will be different. I might even wear it when I start out instead of waiting. Hopefully learned a lesson. I was wearing a half helmet too when my full face was in a saddlebag. Just did everything wrong. It looks calm out there now, but more rain is forecast. I didn’t pick the best time of year, but this was my window. Thanks for your story. This is challenging when weather doesn’t cooperate.

Sorcerer
07-22-2020, 07:56 AM
Got caught on BRP in fog. Couldn’t see past the front tire. Friend on a 1500 Wing following with lower driving lights on. Could not see him. Didn’t dare to stop. Afraid if I did stop he would hit me or someone following us would. Had to look for the center line and the fog line to stay in our lane and on the road.��

ReserveBum
07-22-2020, 08:25 AM
I have rain gear but it started light then came down heavy. I really should have stopped at an overlook, but I was already soaked and would be sitting there in it anyway. Today will be different. I might even wear it when I start out instead of waiting. Hopefully learned a lesson. I was wearing a half helmet too when my full face was in a saddlebag. Just did everything wrong. It looks calm out there now, but more rain is forecast. I didn’t pick the best time of year, but this was my window. Thanks for your story. This is challenging when weather doesn’t cooperate.

Wayne - here is the trick....put the rain gear on first thing in the morning. Take a half hour to put it all on and use it all (top/bottom/boot covers etc) and that will be a guarantee it wont rain. Trust me on this.

F6Bster
07-22-2020, 09:37 AM
Hope you have a safe day!!!!

Airborne06
07-22-2020, 09:52 AM
Wayne - here is the trick....put the rain gear on first thing in the morning. Take a half hour to put it all on and use it all (top/bottom/boot covers etc) and that will be a guarantee it wont rain. Trust me on this.

That's a fact!

wjduke
07-22-2020, 01:47 PM

Don’t you know...near the peak of the BRP, I did just that. Put it all on. I saw dark clouds and said oh no, not today. It never rained, was one of the best ride days. I’m in Maggie now. I took off the gloves and top, but rode the rest of the way with the bottoms. I know one thing, the rain gear I have will definitely keep me dry. I have from booties on up. Nothing was getting there.

ridinglearn
07-22-2020, 02:10 PM

;) yeah that's 100% true. I have tested many times. Once i was moving from the texas to california, sky was covered with black clouds and 90% chances of the rain as per the news i heard so all geared up for the rain and guess what it never rain, i spent 36 hours on the road. That was a hell of a ride i have had.

rdbonds
07-23-2020, 07:28 AM
Glad you're ok wjduke.

I agree with ReserveBum (and others here). Wearing all the rain gear pre-emptively seems to all but guarantee no rain. Of course, then you are soaking wet not from rain, but from the sweat you've sealed in with you. :)

wjduke
07-23-2020, 07:12 PM
Glad you're ok wjduke.

I agree with ReserveBum (and others here). Wearing all the rain gear pre-emptively seems to all but guarantee no rain. Of course, then you are soaking wet not from rain, but from the sweat you've sealed in with you. :)

Both happened today. Caught some rain, not severe, but also got hot when it didn’t. Can’t win, but I’d rather sweat, than have soaking wet feet and boots. Did some riding though. 355 miles. Moonshiner, Cherohala, Foothills, Smokey Mtn Park, and more in the BRP.

rdbonds
07-23-2020, 07:46 PM
The Cherohala is a favorite of mine. If you get the chance to ride Ga Hwy 60 between Morganton, GA and Dahlonega, GA while you're in the area, that's also a great one.

wjduke
07-24-2020, 05:27 AM
The Cherohala is a favorite of mine. If you get the chance to ride Ga Hwy 60 between Morganton, GA and Dahlonega, GA while you're in the area, that's also a great one.

Will check that out if possible, thanks. The new section of the Foothills was a nice ride. I like that one, although not as scenic. Cherohala and Foothills are my favorites. More my style of riding. Rt 281 and other roads in between are more challenging than the dragon if you ask me. The dragon comes and goes....these other roads go on forever ��

wjduke
07-24-2020, 12:20 PM
The only riding I’ve done today was to the laundromat. I’m glad for two reasons, I needed an off day to rest, and it’s been raining since about 10 am with thunder around. Tomorrow I’m on the road for sure, so hoping this choice was the best one.

wjduke
07-25-2020, 04:09 PM
Well, another fun day in Maggie....more thunder, lightning and heavy rain. I’m starting to think this is the wrong time of year to be here. Today it was great to ride to Anderson, S.C. in the am, but not so great to come back. Had to kill an hour under a gas station awning, full rain gear this time. At least I wasn’t stranded on the BRP.
The bright side....the B is a beast. I think I’m naming her Gilbraltar, like the rock she is!

STRaider
07-29-2020, 02:22 PM
Well, another fun day in Maggie....more thunder, lightning and heavy rain. I’m starting to think this is the wrong time of year to be here. Today it was great to ride to Anderson, S.C. in the am, but not so great to come back. Had to kill an hour under a gas station awning, full rain gear this time. At least I wasn’t stranded on the BRP.
The bright side....the B is a beast. I think I’m naming her Gilbraltar, like the rock she is!

We got caught on the BRP once, left and the temps were fine, but once up there, a cold front blew in like a big dog. We were totally unprepared clothing wise, but couldn't get off the the parkway. The water from the streams rolling down the rocks was freezing. Luckily, we found a little tourism center that had a fire going inside. I was never so happy to get off a bike, but we still had to leave and ride until we found an exit and back to my buddy's hanger.

wjduke
07-29-2020, 02:44 PM
We got caught on the BRP once, left and the temps were fine, but once up there, a cold front blew in like a big dog. We were totally unprepared clothing wise, but couldn't get off the the parkway. The water from the streams rolling down the rocks was freezing. Luckily, we found a little tourism center that had a fire going inside. I was never so happy to get off a bike, but we still had to leave and ride until we found an exit and back to my buddy's hanger.
That’s just it, once you’re out there, your stuck until an exit or something. It was a day I’ll never forget. Most of it was my fault for not wearing the gear. I had it with me, but made a huge judgement error. I was in Fancy Gap for gas, it rained a little, then stopped. The clouds looked bad, bad I heard those things blow over, so I continued. WRONG. I just arrived home and am happy to be back. It wasn’t the best trip, but it wasn’t a waste either. I might be done with the south. If I get another chance, I’ll head west next time. Nothing will top my first time down there anyway.

Steve 0080
08-09-2020, 10:43 AM
We were on the BRPW the end of May and got caught in a snow storm!!! It took about 20 miles to get off and I was freezing !!! Live and learn, I always carry a sweat shirt now!