PDA

View Full Version : PNW Frost

F6BPDX
12-12-2013, 01:29 PM
Quick question for some of the grizzled vets around here (lookin' at you Sparky) who live in the Pacific North Wet.

This recent cold snap we have had has brought about a couple of days this week where my neighborhood has frosty roads, not sheets of ice but still has some slip to it, basically looks as if we got a light dusting of snow. I can do the twist with my ankles instead of my hips in riding boots for example. Once out of my hood which is about 3/10ths of a mile and 2 turns, the main roads are all clear due to a combo of deicer and steady traffic heating up the roads so the remaining 25 miles of commute is no big whoop, it's just those first 3-4/10ths of a mile.

Yesterday I chickened out and just took the car, today taking the car would have been a logistics issue with the wife so I creeped out of the neighborhood at ~10mph with my feet ready to (hopefully, although in reality probably not) catch me should anything go wonky. The bike seemed to perform fine, and never felt like it was going to get away from me, which brings me to my question (finally!)...

How big of an issue is the frost that I know I will deal with multiple times still this winter? I am quite certain that the bike tires have more grippy rubber than my boots, and also the bike is putting considerably more force to the ground than I do while moving my boot around. I know on actual ice the bike is going to slide, and if there is actual ice the bike will stay parked, but I don't know how concerned I should be with the frost (and while we are talking how bout light snow flurries?)

Scotrod
12-12-2013, 02:06 PM
This is something that's learned, not really taught.

Ice/snow/sleet/frost,,,, Balance and a gentle touch,,, in all things,,,

Build momentum downslope, coast upslope,,,

Have fun!!!

hiflyer
12-12-2013, 03:02 PM
Frost is still ice. Did you know that even a light frost will prevent an airplanes wing from developing lift. Hundreds of pilots and passengers have died from the result of failure to consider frost a danger. I liken frost on the road to a diesel spill. There's a video on you tube (sorry no link) of a guy on an exit ramp going down from just a light sheen of diesel on the road. You can ride on it, but not at speed. As a kid, we road are motorcycles to school in the snow by keeping our feet on the ground at all times, however an SL 100 Honda was light enough that we could handle it. I've lived in this stuff all my life, I ride when I can, but as a pilot and a biker, I've learned when it's smart to leave both the bike or the plane parked. I've lost 11 friends in airplane accidents and 9 friends on motorcycles in my lifetime. The risk/pleasure reward is just not there for me.

MichaelG
12-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Quick question for some of the grizzled vets around here (lookin' at you Sparky) who live in the Pacific North Wet.

Mike, good questions, and most folks on this forum do not know that you are very new to riding. I know this, so I can answer from a standpoint of giving some advice.

As we know, the vast majority of vehicle accidents occur within 25 miles of our own homes. If the very first 3/10ths or 4/10ths of a mile from your home is slippery....that may be enough to make the decision to leave the bike at home. You have been to my house, and you know I live up on a hill, out in the country. For me to make that first 7/10ths of a mile, to get down the hill to a state highway that is well enough traveled that the ice is melted away by other vehicle travel...is still a slippery 7/10ths of a mile, and I would not be willing to risk dropping my bike on that steep downhill, just to ride 25 0r 50 miles that day.

(short digression) In the Old Days, I used to host a ride up at South Lake Tahoe that guaranteed the rders at least 50 miles in the falling snow. But falling snow allows for some traction.

Back to the modern world....Mike, if the ground and roads around your house are slippery, and you test them by sliding around on your feet, then in my opinion, leave the bike home. There will be MANY days ahead where and when you can ride your butt off, and feel good about it. I know this riding thing is fairly new to you, with only the Suzy C50 before this F6B, but...don't be in a rush to drop or wreck your bike. It is a hard explanation to the insurance company as to WHY you were out riding that day.

If there is a place close by that you can store your bike, close to the major roads, and then walk that 3.5/10ths of a mile home, then think about that.

But that ONE time you do drop the bike on a slippery road...you will be SO mad at yourself.

There are many, many days of riding ahead. Don't rush it when our weather is like it has been the past few days.

Personally, I have ridden far too many miles in snow, ice, hail, etc, and I am now willing to pull over, find a warm cafe', and dream of warmer days.

"coffee"

hiflyer
12-12-2013, 03:07 PM
Typing and thinking do not always go hand and hand, or failure to use the "preview post" option. Sorry.

Should have read: As a kid, we rode our

Dirtstiff's F6B
12-12-2013, 04:03 PM
My concern would be what I'd encounter on the back half of the commute.
If clear am and all day, no problem but when overcast, freezing rain or frozen moisture in the air could make the ride home epic.
My opinion only.
J

Scotrod
12-12-2013, 07:39 PM
As a kid, we rode our

Suzuki 125 enduro, in rural Iowa, regardless of snow or ice. Slapped a tire chain on the rear wheel and away I went.

You learn pretty quick which moves = 'malfunction'. Didn't hurt much back then,,,

Winter by far provided a more pleasant 'dismount' at any speed vs. a summertime 'crash and burn' on the gravel roads,,, Wearin more clothes in winter,,,

Wouldn't want to do (a lot of) it today,,, darn sure not on a 6,,,,

Bruce B
12-12-2013, 11:12 PM
I can't think of a time when I've regretted going by my old rule of thumb, "When in doubt, don't".
Works well for motorcyles, planes, etc., and most of all, in the use of my tongue.

Steve 0080
12-13-2013, 12:29 AM
Wellll I am reading this and wondering who lost their mind?????? Having said that I have driven in snow, albeit 40 years ago.... I could not imagine riding in the snow AND ice... on a motorcycle... and I think I know what I am doing on a motorcycle....
I too have lost three friends to motorcycles..... Why would anyone want to ride in the snow or ice ??? I am slowing down in my old age and maybe a little smarter....
Spring is around the corner...you can wait to ride !

Scotrod
12-13-2013, 09:13 AM
I could not imagine riding in the snow AND ice... on a motorcycle...!

=)

Don't knock it till ya try it!! LOL!!!

It helps if you're a teen-ager stuck out in the middle of B-fug rural Iowa during it's dead, depressing winters,,,

Actually, it can be a lot of fun! :icon_twisted:

I'd attempt it again today (with the same equipment/same location) just to relive the past,,, if only for a moment,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but with an F6B???? on pavement???? Heck no!!!

hiflyer
12-13-2013, 10:20 AM
=)

Don't knock it till ya try it!! LOL!!!

It helps if you're a teen-ager stuck out in the middle of B-fug rural Iowa during it's dead, depressing winters,,,

Actually, it can be a lot of fun! :icon_twisted:

I'd attempt it again today (with the same equipment/same location) just to relive the past,,, if only for a moment,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but with an F6B???? on pavement???? Heck no!!!

Ahhh yes, youth! We would use our feet as outriggers, get going about 30 on the packed snow, cut the bars and do 360's. Yes, on public roads. However, it was a small Texas town. I too would try again under the same circumstances. When I was a kid, everyone had a motorcycle. No closed campuses back then, and when we would all tear out for lunch, we'd leave a contrail of blue smoke from all the 2 strokes in the pack. Most times there would be maybe a hundred bikes parked at the curb at school, nobody had a license, and nobody cared.

austin_tech
12-13-2013, 10:36 PM

This recent cold snap we have had has brought about a couple of days this week where my neighborhood has frosty roads, not sheets of ice but still has some slip to it, basically looks as if we got a light dusting of snow. I can do the twist with my ankles instead of my hips in riding boots for example. Once out of my hood which is about 3/10ths of a mile and 2 turns, the main roads are all clear due to a combo of deicer and steady traffic heating up the roads so the remaining 25 miles of commute is no big whoop, it's just those first 3-4/10ths of a mile.

Yesterday I chickened out and just took the car, today taking the car would have been a logistics issue with the wife so I creeped out of the neighborhood at ~10mph with my feet ready to (hopefully, although in reality probably not) catch me should anything go wonky. The bike seemed to perform fine, and never felt like it was going to get away from me, which brings me to my question (finally!)...

How big of an issue is the frost that I know I will deal with multiple times still this winter? I am quite certain that the bike tires have more grippy rubber than my boots, and also the bike is putting considerably more force to the ground than I do while moving my boot around. I know on actual ice the bike is going to slide, and if there is actual ice the bike will stay parked, but I don't know how concerned I should be with the frost (and while we are talking how bout light snow flurries?)

*Don't tug on Superman's cape
*Don't spit into the wind
*Don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger
... and -- REALLY? --
*Don't take your new, luxury $20K 800+ lb touring bike on the road when there's ice or even the hint of frost -- unless it's the Zombie Apocalypse, you're out of ammo, and all other modes of transportation have been destroyed. (And even in that case, try to kill the next-door teenager and steal his 150 lb dirt bike for the icy ride before you chance your beloved F6B on it.)

MichaelG
12-13-2013, 10:42 PM
*Don't tug on Superman's cape
*Don't spit into the wind
*Don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger
... and -- REALLY? --
*Don't take your new, luxury $20K 800+ lb touring bike on the road when there's ice or even the hint of frost -- unless it's the Zombie Apocalypse, you're out of ammo, and all other modes of transportation have been destroyed. (And even in that case, try to kill the next-door teenager and steal his 150 lb dirt bike for the icy ride before you chance your beloved F6B on it.)

WOW, I love the intellect written above. Very well said, and I am just shocked that it came from someone that resides in Texas. :duck:

Very good, Austin_Tech. :yes:

austin_tech
12-14-2013, 09:27 AM
WOW, I love the intellect written above. Very well said, and I am just shocked that it came from someone that resides in Texas. :duck:

Very good, Austin_Tech. :yes:

You're either a Jim Croce fan, or you're in the dark on that one and I look like a redneck. The logic still applies, though?

MichaelG
12-14-2013, 11:03 AM
You're either a Jim Croce fan, or you're in the dark on that one and I look like a redneck. The logic still applies, though?

Oh, I recognize the song, and was into Jim Croce back in the days. Never mistook you for a redneck. :yes:

Scotrod
12-14-2013, 11:36 AM
Miles??? -------- SHOCKED???

Wouldn't be the first time! :crackup:

MichaelG
12-14-2013, 11:49 AM
Miles??? -------- SHOCKED???

Wouldn't be the first time! :crackup:

Anytime anyone from Texas writes something intelligent, it shocks me :duck:

So I have to give credit where credit is due, to austin_tech. :icon_mrgreen:

Scotrod
12-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Aw Pshaw!!!

Something as simple as riding down the road shocks you, Sparky!!!

I have no doubt, there's NO ONE exactly like you Miles!!!!

MichaelG
12-14-2013, 01:13 PM
Aw Pshaw!!!

Something as simple as riding down the road shocks you, Sparky!!!

lightning-smilie