PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting rid of my Sena 20S

willtill
08-25-2020, 06:08 PM
Thinking about getting rid of my Sena 20S. Because riding a motorcycle is supposed to be enjoyable and therapeutic. It's not when someone is constantly calling you and detracting from the enjoyment of it.

Rant over.

F6Bster
08-25-2020, 06:11 PM
It has an off/on switch for when you want the solitude!!!!

Thinking about getting rid of my Sena 20S. Because riding a motorcycle is supposed to be enjoyable and therapeutic. It's not when someone is constantly calling you and detracting from the enjoyment of it.

Rant over.

gadgeteer
08-26-2020, 07:05 AM
:agree:

Sorcerer
08-26-2020, 08:59 AM
If it’s bothering you go to phone settings and in privacy (I think) and set your phone to go directly to voicemail while in motion.

SeaSteve
08-26-2020, 09:20 AM
You could try one of the hundreds of apps that prevents teen drivers from receiving smart phone calls or texts while in "car" mode.

six2go
08-26-2020, 09:32 AM
I agree with willtill completely. Feeling like you have to be in constant contact with the world goes "against the grain" of motorcycle travel. When I'm on a trip and when I land in a hotel for the night, I will then turn on my phone and call my Wife letting her know where I am and what my itinerary might be for the next day. Rinse and repeat for the rest of the trip.

F6Dave
08-26-2020, 10:11 AM
I get very few phone calls so it's really not an issue, but I do understand the desire to disconnect from the world. I really like my old Valkyrie Tourer for that reason. It has no sound system, just a great sounding engine. Much better than my droning F6B I might add! It doesn't even have a fuel gauge. It lets you ride and experience pure motorcycling. My old BMW airhead does that too, but I don't trust it enough for a long trip.

jmdaniel
08-26-2020, 01:06 PM
When a phone rings, there is always the option to not answer it. I rarely do.

OlyF6B
08-26-2020, 04:39 PM
I understand completely. The people I ride with on a regular basis all have some sort of radio-thing (helmet to helmet intercom, etc.) and I'm one of the lone hold outs. I ride for the joy of the road... the interaction with the machine and the road... and sneaking-in views of the world I'm riding through. The last thing I want during this R&R is "chatter." Hand signals worked well years before the advent of small helmet-based communication devices... sometimes "technology" takes away from an experience (IMHO).

F6Dave
08-26-2020, 07:50 PM
Nearly 40 years ago I rode with a group of Goldwing riders from Denver. Some of these guys had been riding since the 40s, on Harleys, then BMWs, and finally that fancy new Honda Goldwing. I had the only non-Wing, the sport-tourer of the bunch, a 1981 Suzuki GS1100E with a Vetter fairing and German Krauser saddlebags. Everyone built their own custom touring bikes back then, adding a fairing and saddlebags and maybe a trunk from a wide variety of suppliers. Up until then Goldwings had only been sold as 'naked' bikes.

For sound Vetter made an accessory which fit right under the windshield that contained 2 speakers, and let you add the car radio of your choice. I think they called it Cycle Sound. If you wanted to talk with your group you had to get creative. Most of these guys took an automotive CB radio and mounted it on the handlebars or somewhere in the fairing. For audio some kind of marine grade speaker was mounted wherever it fit. The CB microphone usually had a bracket on the handlebars, and the rider would grab it and 'press to talk'. It all actually worked fairly well.

These guys scheduled several long rides around Colorado and the surrounding states every year. The most unique was their 'all night ride'. It was held on the weekend closest to the solstice, to take advantage of maximum daylight. They left Denver at 7 PM and had dinner in Fairplay, Colorado. Through the night they rode through some of central Colorado, usually getting to Pueblo for breakfast around daylight. I remember riding down a mountain pass in the middle of the night, when a sheriff's deputy heard some of the group talking on channel 19. He broke in to say 'you fellas sure look pretty riding down that pass'. You can't do that with a Sena.

shortleg0521
08-27-2020, 12:57 PM
Great thing about electronic devices is at this point we are still in control.
Point being the on and off switch that most come with.

perohijo
08-30-2020, 10:08 AM

Rant over.

You don't have to answer. just press the back button and it will ignore the call. I love my 20S because I can make calls on the fly without taking my eyes of the road, and it something happens is your best friend specially if you ride alone. Also I can listen to my music or apps with great quality.

Skromfols
05-26-2022, 02:04 PM
Like F6Dave, back in the 80's I rode with a club that was mainly Goldwings, the Snoopers. At that time it seemed like every rider in our club (we had around 100 members) had the Goldwing CB. I bought a slightly used 84 Goldwing that didn't have the CB, but immediately had it added. I found it helpful to be able to listen to music and communicate with my passenger while riding, but then if our Road Captain or any other members in our group noticed a problem or encountered a possible hazard they would alert the group. This came in very handy on Poker Runs over unfamilar roads especially in dicey weather. Two of the more prominent memories I have are a warning while we were on the coast and there were large rocks on the very twisty road that we would otherwise have been unaware of until the last second. The second instance was in the Sierra Nevada mountains when the Road Captain encounted black ice . He managed to avoid going down, but some of our less experienced riders would certainly have crashed without his warning.

tenxxx
05-26-2022, 09:40 PM
Nothing is more important than the ride, while riding.