PDA

View Full Version : License Plate Frame ideas?

austin_tech
12-13-2013, 03:34 PM
I hope I didn't miss a thread on this, I did try searching several different terms on the Forum and it seems like this hasn't been directly addressed; closest things I've seen is rear lighting, reflector billet replacements, etc.

Would like to know what unique ways any of you have framed your license plate, with pics if possible?

My dealer put a crappy plastic frame around my temp license and stuck my inspection sticker on it. I hate it and want to replace it with something cool -- but probably not the chromish stuff that most accessory dealers have.

-->Russ

Mustangjake
12-13-2013, 05:44 PM
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?1210-More-Outstanding-work-by-Hambly

Try this

Retired Army
12-13-2013, 06:54 PM
Hambly does excellent work and will customize the product to your specks plus you approve the final product before it is shipped. I highly recommend him.

Steve 0080
12-13-2013, 08:57 PM
Mine is chrome of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .batman-smilie.

MichaelG
12-13-2013, 10:39 PM
Mine is chrome of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .batman-smilie.

Mine is chrome too...dang it...but mine has to be earned....

http://www.ibaestore.com/products.asp?MainCatID=1&CategoryID=9&

"coffee"

Steve 0080
12-14-2013, 12:31 AM
I have one of those also.... but I was smart enough to only have one....... :039:

Scotrod
12-14-2013, 12:49 AM
I've seen a few folks with a 26.2 decal in their rear window,,, ,,,cool,,,

Saw one the other day that read 0.1 :icon_lol: THATS my style!!!

Plate frame? Nothing fancy for me.

Black: http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/Signal_Dynamics_License_Plate_Frame_Black_06003_p/7805-1417.htm
Chrome: http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/Signal_Dynamics_License_Plate_Frame_Chrome_0600_p/7805-1416.htm

Pretty thick material, not the dime-store thin-tin stuff. Wife had the chrome one on her Yami before. Very durable.

I had an 'artsy' skull-themed water-jet cut + polished stainless frame on my Yami,,, Some sharp pointed edges, snagged clothes, towels, skin,,,, K.I.S.S.

With the 6's, our TX inspection sticker's are on something like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/271254362438?lpid=82

I actually purchased 'plain aluminum finish' versions locally, bent them upward so the tag will display parallel with the 'fender' below the plate, then hit 'em with some black rattle can I had laying around. Sticker is EZ enuff for LEO's to see, and still not sticking out like a sore thumb,,,

I have heard TX is getting a little more strict w/'properly displaying' the Insp. sticker. Used to be pretty lax,,,' Visible from behind',,, Folks would hang 'em in different locations all over the bike. Now it's something like next to plate, visible from behind.

austin_tech
12-14-2013, 12:52 AM
Mine is chrome too...dang it...but mine has to be earned...as it cannot be bought by just anyone.

http://www.ibaestore.com/products.asp?MainCatID=1&CategoryID=9&

"coffee"

Miles,
I can't do 1500 mi / 24 hrs even in a four-wheeled vehicle anymore since I gave up tobacco couple years back! Much respect for ye of ferrous buttocks, but I'll have to look elsewhere for a license bracket :)
Also, glad to have you back safe and sane from surgery. I'm new but dug up the lightning story. Absolutely amazing!

-->Russ

bobbyf6b
12-14-2013, 09:33 AM
I just got mine in the mail. :biggthumpup:

Hambly434
12-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Austin,
Here's a few pics for you.
These are the blanks that I currently make. Both are 1/4 billet aluminum that I blank up then send out for Black anodize after that it's up to you on what you would want on it.
Send me a pic or give me an idea of what you want on it then I will draw it up and send you a pic of the computer rendering before I engrave it.

Sorry I don't have a website to view any my parts. This is something I just do on the side on some equipment I have at the house.
I will try to get a Lic. Plate Frame album started to view some more of the custom ideas other members have come up with.

4DI2D
12-14-2013, 12:54 PM
'Miles,
I can't do 1500 mi / 24 hrs even in a four-wheeled vehicle anymore since I gave up tobacco couple years back! Much respect for ye of ferrous buttocks, but I'll have to look elsewhere for a license bracket :)
Also, glad to have you back safe and sane from surgery. I'm new but dug up the lightning story. Absolutely amazing!

-->Russ "

Safe? Yes, thankfully!

Sane? . . . . . .

MichaelG
12-14-2013, 01:08 PM
Safe? Yes, thankfully!

Sane? . . . . . .

hiding.under.chair

austin_tech
12-14-2013, 05:11 PM
Austin,
Here's a few pics for you.
These are the blanks that I currently make. Both are 1/4 billet aluminum that I blank up then send out for Black anodize after that it's up to you on what you would want on it.
Send me a pic or give me an idea of what you want on it then I will draw it up and send you a pic of the computer rendering before I engrave it.

Sorry I don't have a website to view any my parts. This is something I just do on the side on some equipment I have at the house.
I will try to get a Lic. Plate Frame album started to view some more of the custom ideas other members have come up with.

These look very cool. I need something that has a rectangular area for our big 'ol annual inspection sticker.
If I come up with a design do you do custom work?

Hambly434
12-14-2013, 07:05 PM
Yes I can make up a custom shaped frame.
The biggest downfall I can think of is the Black Anodizing cost. I get charged $100 min per color by the plating company weather I have 1 part or 30 parts.
At this time I don't have anything needed plating to offset that cost for you.

austin_tech
12-14-2013, 07:55 PM
Yes I can make up a custom shaped frame.
The biggest downfall I can think of is the Black Anodizing cost. I get charged $100 min per color by the plating company weather I have 1 part or 30 parts.
At this time I don't have anything needed plating to offset that cost for you.

I really like the Goldwing logo, so I drew up the attached. The bottom square part is for Texas' big-ass annual inspection sticker :no: The F6B on top and the Goldwing logo -- can they be completely milled out instead of outlined on some of the other designs I've seen?

I actually think the chrome look is growing on me (on the right). I know you guys may think this is generic but I think it would be cool. Doable?

-->Russ

Dirtstiff's F6B
12-14-2013, 08:29 PM
Mine is black chrome with dark tinted plexi lense cover I made over it, with black fasteners.

Scotrod
12-14-2013, 09:54 PM

I really like the Goldwing logo, so I drew up the attached. I know you guys may think this is generic but I think it would be cool. Doable?

-->Russ

Tag area will have to be at an angle to the face of the plate frame to clear your rear fender.

Honda has a 'nice' chrome OEM Wing-specific plate frame that has the logo, but no where to place the Insp. tag.

austin_tech
12-16-2013, 10:55 AM
Tag area will have to be at an angle to the face of the plate frame to clear your rear fender.

Honda has a 'nice' chrome OEM Wing-specific plate frame that has the logo, but no where to place the Insp. tag.

I'm thinking about ignoring the tag part. Looks crappy. I've searched around on other forums for 'Texas license plate frame' and seems like:

a) The law states that the tag 'should be visible from the rear and _near_ the license plate'. That leaves a lot of room open to interpretation.

b) Some guys keep the tag in their glove box or wallet. Based on field tests, most LE types ask for it and shrug off when it is produced. I suppose if you do something dumb or piss them off, you're going to get hammered anyways.

My previous bike, a Fury, I had the tag pasted to the license plate bracket arm -- not even visible from rear, and the license was sideways. Dug it -- I think I got away with fewer toll bills too :shhh:

Retired Army
12-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Is this a case where "everything in Texas is big" should be modified?

Scotrod
12-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Used to have our Yami Insp tags on stainless plates just underneath the rear of the saddlebags.

The gentleman at the Inspection station 3-4 months ago told me about the recent 'lack of flexibilty' in the laws regarding display. Made it sound like 'visible from the rear' was no longer the one and only requirement. :shrug:

Yeah, tags look crappy. So do tickets. I've seen too many recently,,