PDA

View Full Version : Longer Antenna 13"

98valk
10-06-2020, 01:18 PM
I just received a longer antenna that I ordered off of ebay. It's 13", so it is about twice as tall. The best part is that it came with an adapter that screws right into our bikes. I thought I was going to have to do some rigging.

I haven't tested it in real life, just in the garage. I couldn't tell any difference, but I always have great reception in the garage.

I ordered it because lately I could only get 1 good quality station, and I live in town (Albuquerque). I removed my old antenna to check the thread size, and then reinstalled it and ordered this replacement. Well, next time I went out, all six of my presets worked pretty darn well (with the OEM antenna).

So we might want to remove and reinstall our antennas once in a while for better reception. If you want to try this $8 antenna that fits, here is one link (others sell the same thing). No affiliation, etc. BTW, it is pretty darn flexible (wimpy). Don't know if that is a good thing or not.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13-Black-Flexible-Antenna-Mast-with-Screws-For-Ford-F-250-HD-F-450-Super-Duty/313119938809?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

willtill
10-06-2020, 02:19 PM
I'll order it. Just for the hell of it.

Thanks!

SeaSteve
10-07-2020, 08:55 AM
I got this one at Autozone for $20...https://www.autozone.com/electrical-and-lighting/antenna-mast/metra-antenna-wwrmfg16/220898_1468392_0

It's 17" or so. (If I remember correctly, optimal length is 31".)

Could you post a picture of your setup? The one from Autozone doesn't seat all the way against the fender mount but it's OK if you don't look close. I live just on the edge of two larger cities so we are experienced with FM amps and antennas. The longer length helps bring in the stations.

I'm gonna try the one you got from EBay and thanks for the post.

valkmc
10-07-2020, 11:31 AM
I did the opposite, I don't listen to the radio so I ordered a 2 inch solid one(ebay) that had the adapter and it fits great. Makes it easier while putting the cover on.

98valk
10-07-2020, 11:50 AM
Well, I got to try out the new antenna yesterday and did not notice any difference. I have a sub on my luggage rack. Maybe that is interfering with the reception. For $8, it fits and looks good. Let me know how it works out for you guys.

Here are some pics of the before, after and a close up.

SeaSteve
10-08-2020, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the pictures. It does look like it was made (OEM) for the bike. I'm getting one.

You can compare how well each antenna works by swapping WHEN the radio is on. There's no electrical risk to a receiver when you remove and install an antenna. I park my F6B in the garage with a metal roof and get bad reception. It gets better when I touch "either" antenna and better when I install the longer antenna, vs the shorter OEM.

98valk
10-12-2020, 10:37 AM
Okay guys, I tried another antenna. This one actually makes a difference. It is an adjustable 12" - 19" antenna. I'm not sure if it was better in the 12" position, but is is definitely better in the 19" position. It is not flexible, and does not come with the needed 5mm adapter. I used the one from the first antenna.

That cone shaped part right above the ribbed area is adjustable too. It will slide up and down on the antenna. Is that for fine tuning?
Anyway, here are some pics. Short, long and close up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-12-Antenna-for-2009-2019-Ford-F-150-F-250-F-350-F-450-Super-Duty/133521014048?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

SeaSteve
10-13-2020, 08:49 AM
Basic Antenna Theory...

A "perfect" whip (or dipole) antenna need to be 1/4 the wave length of the frequency you're receiving. 100Mhz is in the middle of the US FM frequency spectrum of 88Mhz to 108Mhz. Basically 31" is best length, so the closer you get to 31" the better. Obviously 31 is little short for the higher frequencies and a little long for the lower frequencies but it's a workable (cheap, simple) antenna for vehicles.

Quick note just to round this out; The ground of the car, truck, or bike is the other 1/4 length making a properly installed whip a 1/2 wave length antenna "system."

I'm guessing your latest EBay antenna allows you to get it out of the way but makes the antenna reception worse when you shorten it.

SeaSteve
10-13-2020, 08:56 AM
Okay guys, I tried another antenna. This one actually makes a difference. It is an adjustable 12" - 19" antenna. I'm not sure if it was better in the 12" position, but is is definitely better in the 19" position. It is not flexible, and does not come with the needed 5mm adapter. I used the one from the first antenna.

Thanks again for the photos. It looks pretty good to me.

Does it come apart (unscrew) somewhere along the shaft?

98valk
10-19-2020, 12:06 PM
Hey guys,
I got out this weekend (great weather) and got to try out the last antenna some more. It is much better than stock. With stock, I was getting 1 -2 of my 6 presets to come in clearly. With the extendable antenna in the up/19" position I was getting 5-6 of the 6 presets to come in clearly.

It is nice that it collapses, because since the antenna points back quite a bit, it is "in the way" when fully extended. So I keep it in the down position and raise it when I need "more power"! aurgh, aurgh, aurgh

With all this said, I'm sure that my stock antenna used to work better. Maybe I have a grounding problem or something ...

98valk
10-19-2020, 12:08 PM
Thanks again for the photos. It looks pretty good to me.

Does it come apart (unscrew) somewhere along the shaft?

No, it does not come apart. It is kinda like half a rabbit ear antenna. I still don't know what that slider part is for. I keep it down all the way to limit stress from the wind.

SeaSteve
10-26-2020, 08:25 AM
Got my "EBay" antenna this weekend. The "slider part" serves no propose. It's just plastic. Maybe the antenna is manufactured for different models and another model uses the piece. I used diagonal wire cutters to cut it lengthwise. Then carefully pulled it off the antenna. It's two pieces, glued together just above the thin metal ring and easy to separate for cutting.

It works better than stock and as good as the 17" aftermarket I bought from AutoZone. I like that it can telescoped down to a shorter length and it looks a little bit cleaner.

FarsideF6B
10-07-2022, 10:18 AM

That cone shaped part right above the ribbed area is adjustable too. It will slide up and down on the antenna. Is that for fine tuning?
Anyway, here are some pics. Short, long and close up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-12-Antenna-for-2009-2019-Ford-F-150-F-250-F-350-F-450-Super-Duty/133521014048?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Hey,
I went to this attachment and don't see the antenna you describe listed. It must be discontinued? I need to get a new antenna and came across this post. How is it still working out for you? Thx. :cool:

six2go
10-07-2022, 03:33 PM
I must be doing something wrong. My stock antenna has always been just fine. I can receive more stations than I have presets for, both AM & FM.

FarsideF6B
10-07-2022, 05:08 PM
I must be doing something wrong. My stock antenna has always been just fine. I can receive more stations than I have presets for, both AM & FM.

No i get my stations not well but my antenna actually broke or kinda dry rotted. :rolleyes:

willtill
10-07-2022, 05:48 PM
Truthfully, I don't ever think I've tuned in to a radio station on my F6B. Always am listening to my own music on my iPod, on the connector in the left saddlebag.

I also have a CD player in my 2018 Tacoma. I don't even know if that works. :017: I've never stuck a CD in it.

SeaSteve
10-10-2022, 08:44 AM
Hey,
I went to this attachment and don't see the antenna you describe listed. It must be discontinued? I need to get a new antenna and came across this post. How is it still working out for you? Thx. :cool:

I went back to the stock antenna only because it's more bendable and forgiving to the items I strap onto my luggage rack. I rarely listen to the radio since I've got so much music on my USB drive, and the volume of the radio is lower than AUX is.

You can check your local auto parts store and get an aftermarket one.

FarsideF6B
10-10-2022, 09:16 PM
I went back to the stock antenna only because it's more bendable and forgiving to the items I strap onto my luggage rack. I rarely listen to the radio since I've got so much music on my USB drive, and the volume of the radio is lower than AUX is.

You can check your local auto parts store and get an aftermarket one.

Thanks Steve, I ended up order a 13" flex similar to stock. I agree with you and Will about not listening to the radio. I've got my music on a couple different I-pods but for traffic or weather or if it's a Saturday during football season I'll have the game on. 'popcorn and coke'