PDA

View Full Version : Tough As Nails

bob109
12-14-2013, 02:59 AM
One of the first additions to my F6B was a "home brewed" luggage rack. Wanting something to carry my sleeping bag/small luggage, the original rack was up-sized after getting my hands on the right black vinyl material. Prior to leaving for Florida, I had the opportunity to use the rack as intended, carrying the sleeping bag, and it worked like a charm. Once in Fl. my 6 transitions to a semi-golf cart used for transporting my golf clubs about the RV Park where I winter-over. Using my trusty "bungee net" to secure the bag to the rack, I've had ample opportunity to "load test" the rack without incident. Out of curiosity I weighed the golf bag which tipped the scale at 29 lbs which, incidentally, is almost 5 times the rack capacity recommended by Honda (6 pounds). I'm not recommending anyone put a refrigerator on their rack ( common sense should prevail ) but Honda's recommended carrying weight, IMHO, is conservative.

Here's some pics of the laden rack followed by the original thread of the rack and its evolution:icon_biggrin:

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?456-Home-Brewed-Luggage-Rack

bobbyf6b
12-14-2013, 09:23 AM
Very cool. I've carried a 28 lb box of cat litter on my rack a few times so I'm with you on the conservative weight estimate. I think it has more to do with changes in handling. When I carry a load like that I definitely ride conservative.

Scotrod
12-14-2013, 11:49 AM
Golf clubs? Cat litter?

Hmmm,,,,

All kinds of 'stuff',,,,,

Friend of a friend has a rack / bracket of sorts on the back of his HD that attaches to the forks/front frame of his bicycle,,, Bike is positioned parallel / behind him about 2-3 ft off the ground,,,

bob109
12-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Golf clubs? Cat litter?

Hmmm,,,,

All kinds of 'stuff',,,,,

Friend of a friend has a rack / bracket of sorts on the back of his HD that attaches to the forks/front frame of his bicycle,,, Bike is positioned parallel / behind him about 2-3 ft off the ground,,,

Necessity is the "mother of invention"! A man has got to do what he has to do:icon_lol:

4DI2D
12-14-2013, 12:48 PM
Check with some of the hard core trailering Wingers and find out what kind of tongue weight they roll with.:yikes:

Steve 0080
12-14-2013, 01:42 PM
I woulld/did install a Bushtec hitch and then you could put a tray back there and haul quite a bit....I thinking up to 75# Normal tounge weight with a Bushtec tralier is around 40-45 #'s They also make a golf bag holder as well!!!

bob109
12-14-2013, 02:00 PM
I woulld/did install a Bushtec hitch and then you could put a tray back there and haul quite a bit....I thinking up to 75# Normal tounge weight with a Bushtec tralier is around 40-45 #'s They also make a golf bag holder as well!!!

I'll have to look into those items. There are several hitch kits available and I'm sure one of those would fit my needs. Once the receiver is installed I have the ability and equipment to fab whatever rack I need.