PDA

View Full Version : Pooch seat/ carrier

BBB
02-19-2021, 07:14 PM
I’ve built a custom seat for my German Shepherd to come along for rides with me.
After a few trial and error in design of it,
I think I can call it a success..... 😬
We’ve ridden together 500+miles so far, longest being 180miles a day.
I think she now ready for a road trip! 😬😬😬

RickW
02-19-2021, 07:24 PM
That's Impressive.

rdbonds
02-19-2021, 09:29 PM
Really nice! I like the doggles, too.

BBB
02-19-2021, 10:56 PM
It has a built in ramp, so my dog doesn’t have to jump
On to her “seat”. ��
(She actually can jump up there but I didn’t want her to have problems when she gets older....)

I wanted it to be:

1. Easily mounted to and removed from my bike
2. Keeping the good balance for safe riding
3. She can get on and off by herself (hence the integrated Ramp/ tailgate)
4. Fit into the overall line of the bike itself.
5. Comfort & Safety for my dog which is far most important.

I think it came out decent enough that it doesn’t look like just a box strapped on... ��78567856

ReserveBum
02-20-2021, 04:27 AM
Now thats a Farkle! I get it.....when my dog sees me grab my helmet, he gets bummed, then I feel bad cause he always goes with me in the car. Great solution! Hope to see you out there sometime.

willtill
02-20-2021, 06:46 AM
Wanted to straighten out the pic for you.

This is a man that loves his dog. "Man's Best Friend" The term goes both ways. I am impressed. Very impressed.

Not too top heavy with the GSD in it, is it? Is there any restraint that you incorporated with the design for the dog?

https://i.postimg.cc/VkBzWKKp/Capture1.jpg

ridinglearn
02-20-2021, 07:57 AM
It's look so exciting to go ride with your dogs :o

willtill
02-20-2021, 08:07 AM
BBB,

How are the handling characteristics with the occupied pooch seat? I know you sense a higher center of gravity, but I am interested if you noticed any really pronounced wind drag conditions.

DaWadd
02-20-2021, 09:31 AM
Looks scary handling wise IMO.

3wings
02-20-2021, 01:05 PM
Looks cool. Your dog looks pretty big. Has she figured out how to be a good passenger? Does she try to straighten up in turns? Have you noticed if she is getting more comfortable with time?

Verismo
02-22-2021, 06:06 AM
Saw this earlier on Facebook and it really made me smile. I've thought about doing this before, but the execution on yours is awesome.

The pup's eye protection is great. I wonder if it might be worth thinking about ear protection? Don't exactly know how you'd rig it. I just know a dog's hearing is really sensitive and valuable to its quality of life.

Jason

TheWalrus
02-24-2021, 05:24 PM
I love it!

I think I'll have an easier time fabricating something for my pooch!

BBB
03-12-2021, 11:16 AM
Saw this earlier on Facebook and it really made me smile. I've thought about doing this before, but the execution on yours is awesome.

The pup's eye protection is great. I wonder if it might be worth thinking about ear protection? Don't exactly know how you'd rig it. I just know a dog's hearing is really sensitive and valuable to its quality of life.

Jason

I thought if he ear protection as well.
But in reality, she lies down behind me and doesn’t get much wind blast at all.
She’s learned very quickly when to sit up to enjoy the wind and when to lie down behind me.
As of she can read the speedo on my bike, she sits up under 45mph.
As soon as I hit 45mph, she lies down which makes me feel safe and stable, as if I’m riding solo.
We’ve done more than enough highway speed riding and I’m confident she can tag along on any ride I go now.

As far as “pit stops” are concerned, if need more of it than she does.... lol
So it’s not really a problem at all.
I must say though, she has always been a great traveler in my car/ truck.
She remains nice and calm when she sees other dogs while in/ on a vehicle/ bike.

BBB
03-12-2021, 07:25 PM
BBB,

How are the handling characteristics with the occupied pooch seat? I know you sense a higher center of gravity, but I am interested if you noticed any really pronounced wind drag conditions.

The platform for my dog weighs about 40#. My dog is 65#.
So I’m carrying 105# total. It’s just as if a rather small person on thf back seat. 😬
She really doesn’t move around much at all. Just sits up or lies down. Designed it to just the right width, so it’s not too tight yet not roomy enough for her to be able to move around.

And yes I do feel the weight on the back at parking lot speed, but once We get moving, it’s not bad at all.
I was concerned about it catching wind, but it turned out it’s not an issue at all. 😊

willtill
03-12-2021, 09:03 PM
The platform for my dog weighs about 40#. My dog is 65#.
So I’m carrying 105# total. It’s just as if a rather small person on thf back seat. ��
She really doesn’t move around much at all. Just sits up or lies down. Designed it to just the right width, so it’s not too tight yet not roomy enough for her to be able to move around.

And yes I do feel the weight on the back at parking lot speed, but once We get moving, it’s not bad at all.
I was concerned about it catching wind, but it turned out it’s not an issue at all. ��

:Saweeet smilie:

Navvet
03-13-2021, 02:14 PM
Can't let my wife see that, she's already talking a trailer for our 2 Lab's ....

doubleh
03-13-2021, 03:36 PM
Hey

It's been a while since I've posted but figured I'd put this on the thread and offer these items to an owner of an F6B. The first PM I receive from a member will get them for their cost of shipping, CONUS only. These items have been on eBay for some time now with no offers, so I figured I'd just give them to someone who's going to use them. eBay Item#254682414677 (https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Honda-Goldwing-Service-Manual-OEM-Oil-Filter-Socket-K-N-Air-Filter/254682414677?hash=item3b4c413e55:g:soYAAOSwD~hfMBh Z)

Be safe,
Joe

Verismo
03-14-2021, 10:03 AM
I thought if he ear protection as well.
But in reality, she lies down behind me and doesn’t get much wind blast at all.
She’s learned very quickly when to sit up to enjoy the wind and when to lie down behind me.
As of she can read the speedo on my bike, she sits up under 45mph.
As soon as I hit 45mph, she lies down which makes me feel safe and stable, as if I’m riding solo.
We’ve done more than enough highway speed riding and I’m confident she can tag along on any ride I go now.

As far as “pit stops” are concerned, if need more of it than she does.... lol
So it’s not really a problem at all.
I must say though, she has always been a great traveler in my car/ truck.
She remains nice and calm when she sees other dogs while in/ on a vehicle/ bike.

That is awesome that you've thought of it and you two already have a system worked out. Warms my heart when people take good care care of their furry friends. Many happy miles to the both of you.

Jason