PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder LED Headlights

PA_F6Ber
03-15-2021, 09:09 AM
I was wondering how you like your Pathfinder LED Headlights? My main question is do they last?

I'm tired of changing out the regular OEM bulbs. I have a 2013 F6B with 48K miles and we seem to have a problem with bulb life. I've replaced my low beams at 23K (w/SilverStar), 27K (w/SilverStar) and 32K (w/Basic). I've replaced my high beams at 30K (w/Basic) and at 48K the right one is out again. I normally run with my high beams in the daytime for higher visibility.

Thanks,
Carl

BigMac
03-15-2021, 11:06 AM
I love mine and they are supposed to last longer. I ride with my high beams on during the daylight as well with the modulator.

Mac

F6Bster
03-15-2021, 01:52 PM
I run the Electrical Connection on my 2016 F6B and really like them.

JackB
03-15-2021, 04:23 PM
I love mine very bright but I don’t think it throws the light as far as the original bulbs.
I’ve had them for two summers now.

FarsideF6B
03-15-2021, 08:51 PM
I'm loving mine. I have the blinkers, fog and headlights all Pathfinder. I bought them on the bike a little over a year ago so can't say how long they've been installed. Well I did install the blinkers though last April. No problems yet. :cool:

Hoff
03-16-2021, 09:35 AM
I've had mine for about 3 years now. Over 30k miles and still going strong. I ride with high beams on during daylight hours which is most of my riding.

SeaSteve
03-16-2021, 10:15 AM
I'm tired of changing out the regular OEM bulbs. I have a 2013 F6B with 48K miles and we seem to have a problem with bulb life. I've replaced my low beams at 23K (w/SilverStar), 27K (w/SilverStar) and 32K (w/Basic). I've replaced my high beams at 30K (w/Basic) and at 48K the right one is out again. I normally run with my high beams in the daytime for higher visibility.

I'm probably being Captain Obvious here but...Don't touch the glass with your skin. The oil can shorten the life of the bulb.

SimonTemplar
03-17-2021, 01:51 AM
I'm going on three years with mine. No worries as yet.

....sT

F6Dave
03-17-2021, 07:00 AM
I had to replace several headlight bulbs on my 2013, but on my 2016 I haven't replaced one in over 30,000 miles. Other 2013 owners reported the same problem in another thread. There may have been an issue on the 2013 models.

The standard bulbs should last longer. I was surprised how short the expected life is for the brighter bulbs, according to the specs on the package.

willtill
03-17-2021, 09:01 AM
I had to replace several headlight bulbs on my 2013, but on my 2016 I haven't replaced one in over 30,000 miles. Other 2013 owners reported the same problem in another thread. There may have been an issue on the 2013 models.

The standard bulbs should last longer. I was surprised how short the expected life is for the brighter bulbs, according to the specs on the package.

Ya. I was going to go with aftermarket brighter halogens myself, but did not due to the shortened lifespan.

I have grown to like the OEM halogen bulbs in low and high beam. They provide a good contrast and approaching visibility with the LED driving lights I installed, and of course the low beam modulation is icing on the cake.

PA_F6Ber
03-17-2021, 09:18 AM
Thanks for all of the responses. I think I'll just replace the H7's with the OEM Basic Bulbs.

Carl

F6Dave
03-17-2021, 09:29 AM
Ya. I was going to go with aftermarket brighter halogens myself, but did not due to the shortened lifespan.

I have grown to like the OEM halogen bulbs in low and high beam. They provide a good contrast and approaching visibility with the LED driving lights I installed, and of course the low beam modulation is icing on the cake.

The lighting on my F6B is far better than any motorcycle I've owned. My first street bike was a 1970 Kawasaki Mach III. I still have a repair manual so I looked up the electrical specs. It was a 'semi-sealed beam' with a 35/25 watt tungsten bulb. My next bike, a 1976 KZ-900 was lots brighter, running a 50/35 watt bulb. Talk about the dark ages! These weren't much better than British bikes with Lucas (the Prince of Darkness) electrical systems.

billsim
03-17-2021, 12:55 PM
Bought Pathfinder LED's 2 years ago. Tried them out for 2 weeks and replaced with the OEM bulbs.
OEM bulbs have really defined light pattern. The LED's were brighter but didn't project well on the road.
Tried to adjust the pattern but gave up.
F6B's stock headlights are the best I have ever seen on a bike. Hell, they are better than most car headlights.

SeaSteve
03-18-2021, 10:08 AM
I'm in the "Stock Headlamp Camp" too. I added a Daymaker (https://www.vtxdaymaker.com/) to my previous VTX and found it to be brighter but not further, just like billsim posted.

I get flashed at night when I leave my brights on a little too long when riding on our Texas "very separated" interstate highways.

F6Dave
03-18-2021, 03:08 PM
Now and then I've thought of upgrading to LED lighting. Maybe it's that gene that motorcyclists have that makes you want to change things. Then I'll take a ride at night and think 'wow, what awesome lighting'!

SeaSteve
03-19-2021, 08:25 AM
Now and then I've thought of upgrading to LED lighting. Maybe it's that gene that motorcyclists have that makes you want to change things. Then I'll take a ride at night and think 'wow, what awesome lighting'!

I think it's all part of the "addictive hobby." I ALMOST miss my VTX because it "needed" constant upgrading and that was fun even when it didn't work. The damn F6B is too close to perfect to need upgrades.

DaWadd
03-19-2021, 09:17 AM
I am fine with OEM bulbs. Only changed one left side low beam in 7 years.

Radical Taz
03-19-2021, 10:02 PM

I have had Pathfinders installed for 20k miles with no issues.

F6Bster
03-20-2021, 07:39 AM
Been following. I put 154k mikes on my 2002 and went through LOTS of H7 bulbs. For sure, when one went the other went soon thereafter, so I got where I’d replace them both. Sometimes they’d both be out as I had not noticed that one had gone out (I often led our rides so was in the front). Never replaced the high beams as they were used only occasionally. Night riding rare. Never used for day riding as TOO bright!

Early on I put EC LEDs in my 2016 F6B low beams. Easy installation, I like their looks, and match well with my LED fog/driving lights. Highly visible to other vehicles! Still not much night riding so did not change out the high beams.

Everyone has their own preferences! This is mine.

RickW
03-24-2021, 08:35 AM
Give them a try, you will never look back.

https://store.valueaccessories.net/PathfinderLEDHeadlightKitsGL1800.aspx

https://store.valueaccessories.net/images/products/detail/G18LEDH3.jpg

F6Dave
03-24-2021, 08:45 PM
The next time we have a rally we should take a night ride and compare the lights.

Casper96
05-27-2021, 08:19 PM
My Pathfinders have been in 4 years as of last week and love them even more once I adjusted the beam height. But over all they are awesome