PDA

View Full Version : Eyewear for full-face helmets

indadman
03-15-2021, 01:29 PM
I'm looking for suggestions on the best eyewear for use when I'm riding. I wear a Shoei full-face helmet, and I am probably going to need bifocals. Any suggestions is appreciated.

tpwood
03-15-2021, 05:11 PM
If your talking about prescription glasses I've been riding my entire 48 years with glasses. Never really thought about that, I've alway have to wear mine otherwise I'm blind as a bat. But wireframes with a thin side arms are what I wear and never have any problems getting them on. But it's second nature to me. Also The only full face helmets I wear now are the flip up modular, that makes it easier also. Hope that helps, or it's just rambling B.S !

indadman
03-15-2021, 05:16 PM
If your talking about prescription glasses I've been riding my entire 48 years with glasses. Never really thought about that, I've alway have to wear mine otherwise I'm blind as a bat. But wireframes with a thin side arms are what I wear and never have any problems getting them on. But it's second nature to me. Also The only full face helmets I wear now are the flip up modular, that makes it easier also. Hope that helps, or it's just rambling B.S !

That's good information, though, and I did not detect any BS!

Sorcerer
03-15-2021, 06:56 PM
The suggestion of metal frames is a good one. I’ve been wearing Shoei helmets sense the mid 1990s. I’ve warn eye glasses sense I was 3 years old, 63 years. The thin metal bows works really well especially if you have com speakers. The first time I had to add bifocals I pushed off putting them in my prescription sunglasses. A rather expensive mistake. Go ahead and try to look over the top of your glasses in the tiny slit of space between the top of the glasses and the opening edge of the helmet. You will show your age when you have to shut down the bike and remove your glasses to read a map. When you have 15 bikes waiting on the ride leader.

willtill
03-15-2021, 08:34 PM
Contact lenses here (Monovision).

tpwood
03-16-2021, 05:05 AM

Tried them back in the 80's, couldn't stand them. Was living in Colorado at the time, my contacts dried out on my bike the whole time. Since I've always work on my own vehicles, I couldn't stand crap falling in my contacts under the laying under the vehicle, and the solutions for them for a year cost more than the glasses did. Thant that's just me,
But that is a good solution for other folks.

indadman
03-16-2021, 08:07 AM
Tried them back in the 80's, couldn't stand them. Was living in Colorado at the time, my contacts dried out on my bike the whole time. Since I've always work on my own vehicles, I couldn't stand crap falling in my contacts under the laying under the vehicle, and the solutions for them for a year cost more than the glasses did. Thant that's just me,

All of you guys are the best. Thanks for the advice...and I have got to switch to bifocals when riding...I have no choice in the matter!

jm21ddd15
03-16-2021, 08:42 AM
i also wear glasses. Just picked up another modular HJC helmet. Some helmet models advertise that they have slots or have the helmet pads located so they don't interfere with glasses. This new helmet works fine with my specs. I do have a Shoei Neotec, that works too. My glasses are metal frames, and are thin style.

gadgeteer
03-16-2021, 09:09 AM

There are bifocal contacts available also.

SeaSteve
03-16-2021, 10:24 AM
I've had real problems with clearly seeing signs on my previous Honda VTX 1800. I wear bifocals and have Scorpion EXO helmets with "KwikFit" pads for glasses. I could see okay but not read street names of road numbers until it was too late.

Changing to the F6B with the 12" Baggershield windshield fixed everything. No problems now at all.

I tried bifocal and monofocal contacts for several weeks each, but just never got used to them.

K2157
03-16-2021, 07:35 PM
I wear Bi-Focals and never had a problem
But I also use an open face helmet with shield:cool:

willtill
03-16-2021, 08:19 PM

Contact lenses have come a long way since the 80's. Much more comfortable; I use the Acuvue Moist Daily's.

There are bifocal contacts available also.

Yes, I've seen that but they are a bit more pricier.

I've had real problems with clearly seeing signs on my previous Honda VTX 1800. I wear bifocals and have Scorpion EXO helmets with "KwikFit" pads for glasses. I could see okay but not read street names of road numbers until it was too late.

Changing to the F6B with the 12" Baggershield windshield fixed everything. No problems now at all.

I tried bifocal and monofocal contacts for several weeks each, but just never got used to them.

My learning curve with the Monovision took 2 weeks. Then my brain finally adapted to them.

terryboyle
03-16-2021, 08:58 PM
i also wear glasses. Just picked up another modular HJC helmet. Some helmet models advertise that they have slots or have the helmet pads located so they don't interfere with glasses. This new helmet works fine with my specs. I do have a Shoei Neotec, that works too. My glasses are metal frames, and are thin style.

I agree, been wearing modular helmets for 15 years, absolutely great solution for those wearing glasses

Draxsr
03-16-2021, 10:13 PM
I use bifocals under a Schuberth C4 Pro. My temple pieces have almost zero curve and are very thin metal to reduce any pressure. Everything works fine.

sabre85
03-17-2021, 08:19 AM
I've always worn glasses in my Shoei. I had glasses made, with bifocals adjusted for distance, that fit in my helmet. I measured the distance from my eyes to the gages and told the optometrist this distance and they made the bifocal part to let me focus on that distance. They also adjusted the bifocal part down in the lens just a bit so the cut off between the focal lengths was comfortable.

SeaSteve
03-17-2021, 08:26 AM
I said I wear bifocals, but to be more correct, I wear Progressive, no-line bifocals that have a million focal points. I spend a lot of my time at computer screens. I just tip my head to the correct angle that gives me the clearest view for what I'm focused on.

Zaphod
03-17-2021, 08:34 AM
I wear Oakley frames with an Arai Signet-Q. Not bifocals.
Lenses also done by Oakley. One in their darkest shade; another in clear.

ReserveBum
03-18-2021, 07:14 AM
After 60 years of glasses...I got the cataract surgery. No more glasses! (at least until I have to read a map or a computer screen - I have cheaters for that). What a great thing. I didnt realize how much I was not seeing, the colors pop and my peripheral vision is much better. But I hear you - I wore my glasses in my Shoei full face and then had prescription shades made. It worked but was also a hassle.