PDA

View Full Version : Women Riders

Elin in So. Cal.
12-15-2013, 04:12 PM
OK, I realize I'm in the minority on this site... I could be surprised to find another female with the F6B under them and the throttle in her hand, know-what-I'm-sayin'? It does feel weird but I share your passion for this ride.

So, what's your opinion about women who ride, own, maintain and love their rides as much as you guys do?
Put off?
Welcoming?
Strange?
Something else?

How would you feel if your wife/significant other wanted to learn and have her own ride?

Just so you know, all of these women own and ride their own motorcycles, and some ride Gold Wings. I'm the only one (right now) who has an F6B.

And several of these women have the coveted "Iron Butt" award, several have over 100,000 miles, some even have over 200,000 on their motorcycles. We're out here, and my question is, how do you feel about that?

Big Jay
12-15-2013, 04:43 PM
I Think it's great ,women are perfectly capable of riding maintaining and being part of the motorcycle world. My wife has her MC endorcement and had a bike for a while , due to some problems with her tail bone she gave up her bike, She will have another . Welcome to the forum and congrats on your excellent choice in your new ride, I notice you bought the faster color. :biggthumpup:

Bruce B
12-15-2013, 04:45 PM
Can't see why acceptance would be an issue except for some hardcore misogynists. I ride regularly with four women who fit right in. It's no big deal to the guys. And the women don't make a big deal out of it either. Two are married to guys who ride. Two are single. I doubt there are many riding circles where gender would be an issue at all, certainly not here on the forum. I think that the ladies here on the forum will vouch for that.

Trike lady
12-15-2013, 04:46 PM
Welcome to the world of Goldwings.
I not only ride Goldwing trikes, I also build them. I am the first lady trike builder and a member of the International Master Bike Builders Association.
:039:

Dirtstiff's F6B
12-15-2013, 05:11 PM
Why the He...// not??

Women do most everything else and IMO, better than most men. And I don't mean that as a slam or condesendingly either.

My wife is perfectly capable but prefers to ride with me, otherwise she'd own one.

J

Coop creek
12-15-2013, 05:29 PM
You've got to be confident to be a motorcyclist and there is nothing more intriguing then a self-confident woman.

choptop
12-15-2013, 06:15 PM
Belong to a riding club out of the Twin Cities, Have a number a lady riders, once again, no big deal as long as you can ride.

Scotrod
12-15-2013, 06:50 PM
Mrs. Scotrod rides her own F6B.

She started out as a passenger on my VTX a few years ago. I encouraged her to get her own bike. (She kept falling asleep and head-butting me with her helmet!!!)

Her co-workers think it's cool she rides. Haven't met anyone yet who thinks otherwise. :shrug:

She's not mechanically gifted,,, I do all the wrenching, but she try's her best to help when she can, when needed.

Riding is something we both can do together,,, To me, it's more of a 'connection' if your Lady rides her own,,,

Retired Army
12-15-2013, 06:57 PM
The only factor in purchasing a cycle is being able to afford the ride. I congratulate you on your choice of rides enjoy many hours on it. :041:

hiflyer
12-15-2013, 07:57 PM
The only factor in purchasing a cycle is being able to afford the ride. I congratulate you on your choice of rides enjoy many hours on it. :041:

I have ridden with women who could outride a lot of the guys, and have made many many cross country trips with them. I have taught the MSF course with women instructors, gender is a non issue. Welcome aboard! I have a feeling that many of your friends will be showing up here after they get a chance to experience your bike.

hiflyer
12-15-2013, 08:11 PM
By the way, why don't you commit to making the PNW gathering Miles has put together like I have. A good way for us to put faces to names and enjoy the camaraderie of the F6B. It's not far from your neighborhood!

robrm250
12-15-2013, 09:01 PM
Wife road a GSXR 600 when I had a Kawasaki ZX14 we had a great time trailering them and riding the best roads we could find,made me a little nervous but I never let her know.When we had our first grand baby she gave it up all together even riding as passenger but as time went by she knew I was having so much fun riding she made me buy a two up bike and only wants to ride as passenger now.

Elin in So. Cal.
12-15-2013, 09:15 PM
... I have a feeling that many of your friends will be showing up here after they get a chance to experience your bike.
3347 Already started!! I only answered questions, and there were a LOT.:icon_lol:

RT59
12-15-2013, 10:22 PM
When I started dating my wife, she told me she wouldn't ride behind me but would pilot her own. It started a new chapter in our lives that included our marriage and lots of miles - each riding our own bike.

I encourage everyone to ride if they have the interest. For all couples - embrace a two bike (or more) household where all ride their own bike - it's the best!

I love our family's team riding experiences and our vacations just keep getting better.

So the question about Gals on their own bikes? Hell yea!!

-R

Steve 0080
12-15-2013, 10:45 PM
EVERYONE is welcome on this site! Period... The only real rule we have is that no one calls out another member or their bike...what ever it is. Everyone has a skeleton in their closet somewhere, they would prefer keep hidden... the glass house quote comes to mind... having said that of course you and yours are welcome! As far as women riding bikes, a women can ride as good as most men and with the right gift or training, out ride some as well, sex is not the issue...being a motorcyclist is!

Phantom
12-16-2013, 12:16 AM
EVERYONE is welcome on this site! Period...

:icon_ditto: ........ grouphug In my book every Rider is an equal regardless of what you ride, you are always welcomed at any gatherings that involve the F6B Riders. Some riders have not seen the Honda F6B light yet, but we're working on that :duck: Don't care if you are a female, she male, male, yellow, purple, black, white, red, mix, highly experienced, novice, weekend warrior..... blah blah blah. LET'S RIDE !

'riding'

motozeke
12-16-2013, 01:03 AM
I go on multi day tours with Tim from Pashnit, and while it's unusual for women to join it's not unheard of. But when women do join, the only thing that changes is that the guys are on (slightly) better behavior. :icon_wink:

I say the more the merrier. I wish as many women rode as men, then we'd have a lot bigger community, better laws, and a wider selection of motorcycles and aftermarket accessories. It would be *all* to the good.

BigO
12-16-2013, 01:44 AM
Love it!!!

Paul B Blues
12-16-2013, 05:29 AM
I have a few female friends who are bikers, and one of them is a Motorcycle Instructor. Welcome along :039:

Westernbiker
12-16-2013, 09:59 AM
I will say this and I say this about male riders also. IF, you can operate the motorcycle efficiently, keep up with the flow of traffic, NOT be a hazard to yourself, other riders or mororists, then welcome to the motorcycle world and have fun! :icon_mrgreen:

av8rdave
12-16-2013, 10:02 AM
She was an excellent rider. I have also ridden with several lady riders over the years. Good riders all.

I trained a handful of women to fly when I was in the Air Force, back when that was still a fairly new thing. The breakdown of the great, good and not so good was about the same as it was for men.

jkelley
12-16-2013, 10:50 AM
What does it matter what anyone thinks?

Anyone that can afford the hobby should be welcome to participate. The mistake most make is assuming they can ride because they rode dirt or mini bikes as a kid, and dont put any effort in learning the how's and what for's.
I have ridden with a lot of men that in my opinion should not be on a bike simply because they were unsafe.
My wife rides her own and she is one rider I would rather ride with over most men. She is safe, and does a very good job on the road.
Now if I could just talk her into an F6B!

Elin in So. Cal.
12-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Awesome replies!

Yes, it is about safety and trust in others, regardless of gender. I look forward to the gatherings of F6B riders! :041:

Big Dawg
12-17-2013, 11:21 PM
EVERYONE is welcome on this site! ,

sex is not the issue..!

That has to be true, they let me and Miles become members here! I have several good lady friends who ride Goldwings! BTW they are both excellent riders.

Congrats on the ride and welcome.

Did I hear someone say sex? count me in..

4DI2D
12-18-2013, 01:46 PM
Awesome replies!

Yes, it is about safety and trust in others, regardless of gender. I look forward to the gatherings of F6B riders! :041:

So, how far are you from Oregon (Enterprise to be specific.).

Behind the kitchen door in the back, left of the garage there is a lady who no longer wants the front seat but don't waste your time trying to get her off the back seat.

BACA
12-18-2013, 10:43 PM
Our current Chapter Director is a woman, and she rides a Valkyrie.......rides it well I might add.....I'll ride with her and her husband anytime.......nope I've ridden with alot of women riders and I welcome them anytime!!

'riding'

MSGT-R
12-24-2013, 09:41 PM
That particular part of the anatomy has nothing to do with the ability to ride a bike and ride it well.. :icon_wink:
My husband has no problem with me riding my own bike. In fact, I have more bikes than he does (right now).
Been riding since 1974, MSF Ridercoach since 2002.

MarcPW
12-29-2013, 10:18 PM
That's the spirit ! Welcome to the F6B world, this is such a great motorcycle. Have fun and be safe !:039:

NCF6B
12-31-2013, 07:42 AM
Elin, my wife got her license when she turned 70. She rides her own bike and we have spent so many good times riding together and hopefully will spend many more. I can't tell you how much respect and admiration I have for her and all who ride like her. She has gained the real respect of everyone in the groups we ride with and frankly I think I am the envy of some because of her riding ability. We have ridden in multiple locations big cities and small towns. She has ridden the "Dragon" twice, rides with the Patriot Guard and CMA. I am one proud husband and riding partner! Hope to see many like you and she on the road! NCF6B

CheckpointChcky
05-04-2014, 10:05 PM
Well, I am a 61 year old woman and I pick up my new 2013 f6b on Tuesday....I like the bike.

bobbyf6b
05-04-2014, 10:42 PM
Well, I am a 61 year old woman and I pick up my new 2013 f6b on Tuesday....I like the bike.

.welcome20.

CaptRob
05-04-2014, 11:02 PM
I wish my SO would ride her own!! I have tried and tried. She only wants to be on the back, but hates when I go fast and lean into a turn!! So, I have to ride Miss
Daisy when she comes along. Oh, I'm venting ha!

CheckpointChcky
05-05-2014, 12:25 AM
I know how you feel.....it's almost like when I I ride with a group and they are doing 40 in a 55. I want to ride my way, not someone else's. I suspect riding with someone on the back is limiting.

I wish my SO would ride her own!! I have tried and tried. She only wants to be on the back, but hates when I go fast and lean into a turn!! So, I have to ride Miss
Daisy when she comes along. Oh, I'm venting ha!

Darren
05-05-2014, 12:17 PM
My wife does ride. she passed her test last year.

Unfortunately she is not tall enough to ride the 6, plus I would like her to have more experience before I would let her.

But she has a shadow 750 that she is very happy with

jkelley
05-05-2014, 01:03 PM
My wife does ride. she passed her test last year.

Unfortunately she is not tall enough to ride the 6, plus I would like her to have more experience before I would let her.

But she has a shadow 750 that she is very happy with

Same issues here, after a long list of bikes bought and sold she now has a CTX 700 and loves it, much better power and handling than the shadows, and way better wind protection.

thunder217
05-05-2014, 02:07 PM
For example went to a popular bike blessing yesterday and believe me their were more female riders than male riders and on top end machines. Its not the gender its the rider. I welcome all riders. "batsmiley"

stepbill
05-05-2014, 03:07 PM
O.K., I'll say it. There is nothing more sexier than a woman riding her own bike!!!! It shows the confidence that she has in herself. My wife used to ride but had a scare and then sold her bike. She will not ride on the back of one, that's the main reason that I bought the F6B over the wing. When I saw all of the work that Elin was doing on her bike herself, I thought about leaving home and moving to California :icon_redface::shhh:

Retired Army
05-05-2014, 03:20 PM
The director of the Kokomo American Legion Riders is female and her only problem is she has a 1 gallon gas tank on her pink sportster. :icon_mrgreen:

racer
05-05-2014, 04:46 PM
So, what's your opinion about women who ride, own, maintain and love their rides as much as you guys do?
Put off?
Welcoming?
Strange?
Something else?

How would you feel if your wife/significant other wanted to learn and have her own ride?

I think it is great. The more the merrier!

I wish my wife would get involved. She won't even ride ON a motorcycle.

Elin in So. Cal.
05-05-2014, 06:47 PM
O.K., I'll say it. There is nothing more sexier than a woman riding her own bike!!!! It shows the confidence that she has in herself. My wife used to ride but had a scare and then sold her bike. She will not ride on the back of one, that's the main reason that I bought the F6B over the wing. When I saw all of the work that Elin was doing on her bike herself, I thought about leaving home and moving to California :icon_redface::shhh:

You're too cute.

Wild Bill
05-05-2014, 07:21 PM
Nothing cooler than a lady rider with her own bike. Ride hard and have fun.

Vulcan
05-05-2014, 09:11 PM
All the gals I know that ride bikes are really great bikers. The more gal bike riders the better.

Ixol Phaane
05-06-2014, 12:43 AM
Two words: Very Cool!

Scotrod
05-06-2014, 08:34 AM
The more the merrier!

To those who would like the SO's to pilot their own,,, Ya need to tell them:

1. The view is a helluvalot better up front than in the back!
2. You get to ride your own pace/direction.
3. Way more reassuring/comforting with the handlebars/controls in your own hands.
4. For many, it's also a sense of empowerment / accomplishment / increased self esteem when they become a rider.

Told my wife all that,,, over and over,,,

We'd go bike / helmet / accessory shopping. I'd always have her try 'em as well, and something that might be more her size/fit. (FIT is 100% critical when first-bike shopping !)

Finally, the one thing that tipped the scale was taking the MSF course together. The course finally gave her the 'I can do this' feeling that got her on her own set of 2 wheels.

That was 3 bikes ago. She hasn't ridden as a passenger since! :yes:

hiflyer
05-06-2014, 08:40 AM
Finally, the one thing that tipped the scale was taking the MSF course together. The course finally gave her the 'I can do this' feeling that got her on her own set of 2 wheels.

:yes:

That's one of the top reasons why I'm involved in the MSF program.

bikerdoc1500
06-28-2015, 12:01 AM
I have owned 11 bikes over the past 36 years. Currently own 3. Most I have put on any single bike is 140,000 miles on my Gold Wing 1800. Been the safety officer and the tail gunner of a riding club for 15 years, mostly made up of men.

Yeah for women riders !!!!

bikerdoc1500
06-28-2015, 12:08 AM
I have some questions I would like to ask female riders of the F6B. I really think I would like to buy one, but I am not sure about a few things. Is it hard to back up? Is it hard to reach the handlebars? etc, etc

If any women have the time to discuss my concerns, please send me a private message.

I appreciate any help. Thanks.

powercruzer13
06-28-2015, 07:13 PM

My wife Kim with her F6B on the BRP a few weeks ago. Second pic is her with her 1998 Valkyrie Tourer that we traded in on her B.
Her first bike was this 2005 Shadow Spirit 750. We traded both the 750 & the Valk for her F6B.

powercruzer13
06-28-2015, 07:31 PM
Speaking for my wife concerning the handling of the F6B...
I wanted to get newer bikes mainly to ease my insurance & maintenance load {we had 4 :shock:}and Kim was starting to have minor issues with low speed handling of her Valk. The F6B was an immediate hit with me as short of a full boat GW it was the only bike out there that was an upgrade over a Valkyrie. Problem for Kim was the F6B is actually heavier than a Valkyrie Tourer so at first thought it wouldn't do. We considered the CTX1300 but the ergos were not all that great for her & the clutch pull was very heavy. Never considered any V-twin as she had been spoiled by the years of riding a F6 Valkyrie. We ended up getting a second F6B for her because when she got on mine it felt lighter & easier to maneuver at low speed than than the Valk despite being heavier. She has a 34" inseam so flat footing it was no problem but we still have to use our heads when parking so she won't have to back it uphill. The F6B rides like a lighter bike & is easier off the kickstand than most all other big bikes.
Got her a Mustang seat, a Klockwerks w/s, Rivco highway pegs, Kury riser extensions, & she really digs the radio when we ride. :yes:

BTW, she is 5'9" and 52 years old. She has been riding her own bike since 2006. :icon_cool:

bikerdoc1500
07-01-2015, 11:13 PM
Speaking for my wife concerning the handling of the F6B...
I wanted to get newer bikes mainly to ease my insurance & maintenance load {we had 4 :shock:}and Kim was starting to have minor issues with low speed handling of her Valk. The F6B was an immediate hit with me as short of a full boat GW it was the only bike out there that was an upgrade over a Valkyrie. Problem for Kim was the F6B is actually heavier than a Valkyrie Tourer so at first thought it wouldn't do. We considered the CTX1300 but the ergos were not all that great for her & the clutch pull was very heavy. Never considered any V-twin as she had been spoiled by the years of riding a F6 Valkyrie. We ended up getting a second F6B for her because when she got on mine it felt lighter & easier to maneuver at low speed than than the Valk despite being heavier. She has a 34" inseam so flat footing it was no problem but we still have to use our heads when parking so she won't have to back it uphill. The F6B rides like a lighter bike & is easier off the kickstand than most all other big bikes.
Got her a Mustang seat, a Klockwerks w/s, Rivco highway pegs, Kury riser extensions, & she really digs the radio when we ride. :yes:

BTW, she is 5'9" and 52 years old. She has been riding her own bike since 2006. :icon_cool:

Thanks for all the information concerning your wive's handling of the F6B. Helps me not to worry about giving up the Gold Wing with reverse. I would like to know if the Mustang seat changed her seating position from stock? And since I am 5" shorter than her, do you think the Kury riser extensions be the best choice for me also? Appreciate any opinions.

SmallPasture
07-02-2015, 09:59 AM
I'm one of the fortunate husbands who's lovely wife insisted on riding her own! I'm loving it!

VP8
07-02-2015, 12:56 PM
I have some questions I would like to ask female riders of the F6B. I really think I would like to buy one, but I am not sure about a few things. Is it hard to back up? Is it hard to reach the handlebars? etc, etc

If any women have the time to discuss my concerns, please send me a private message.

I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Bikerdoc, the F6B is not hard to back up... however, I try to not park downhill in stalls... meaning, I'll try to avoid backing out uphill if possible. If I do find myself in a jam and I don't have a friend with me...I'll just pump the front suspension to get myself out of the jam. For me, it's not hard at all to reach the handlebars. But I'm 5'9" with a 32" inseam. I also have a Mustang seat, which drops you down an inch and back about an inch... so you're riding in the bike instead of on it. You may benefit having a Mustang seat to lower yourself to the ground more.

When I demoed both the full GW and the F6B, I noticed it was easier to flat foot the GW because it had a narrower seat and the seat was higher. On the F6B, the seat height is lower, however the seat is a lot wider. What may also help you is to wear boots with a higher outsole... so you can touch the ground easier.

powercruzer13
07-02-2015, 08:33 PM
Thanks for all the information concerning your wive's handling of the F6B. Helps me not to worry about giving up the Gold Wing with reverse. I would like to know if the Mustang seat changed her seating position from stock? And since I am 5" shorter than her, do you think the Kury riser extensions be the best choice for me also? Appreciate any opinions.

She says the Mustang seems to be a little lower & back a teeny bit. I think it pushes me forward a bit. :shrug:
Regardless, she needed the risers pulled back & up, I guess she has shorter arms than I do. :icon_cool:
The Ultimate Mid-Rider on my F6B does sit me up a tad higher but seemed to keep distance to the bars the same.

bikerdoc1500
07-03-2015, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the advice on different seats and risers about parking and backing up the F6B. I am flat footed on the Gold Wing 1800, stretching my legs and having the suspension at 4 setting.

Is the Mustang seat less wide than stock?

Now I need to find a dealer that will let me test ride.