PDA

View Full Version : Happened again

wjduke
04-29-2021, 09:39 AM
I haven’t been here in a while, but...I’ve been hit for a third time. Rear ended last night when I stopped for a car at a yield sign and the girl behind me didn’t see it. This time, I was ok and so was the bike. We both went down, but these crash bars are superior. No damage to the bike besides a couple of minor scratches where she bumped me. I think she hit the black rear center piece. The ends popped out just under that rear lens. I snapped them back in and that was it. Very lucky this time. She was crying and upset. I didn’t even take her info. A state trooper stopped and made a report anyway. I don’t know what to say anymore. I have a big trip planned out west this summer and am still going, but for a second, laying on the road, thought that was done with. Second time on the same road too. First was 7 years ago. I’m either lucky or unlucky, not sure how to look at it. Can’t do anything if the person behind you isn’t looking.

rdbonds
04-29-2021, 12:53 PM
Holy crap. Glad you're okay.

wjduke
04-29-2021, 04:59 PM
Holy crap. Glad you're okay.

Thanks. Maybe I’m taking the hits for everyone else! :)

maxrider
04-29-2021, 08:27 PM
wjduke, you have the right attitude, can't fix stupid.

Safe travels to you, Sir.

willtill
04-29-2021, 09:38 PM
Three times is the charm they say. Hopefully this is the last of the rear end impacts you endure.

I watch the rear when stopped (or stopping) like a hawk when on my bike. Knocking on wood that my luck holds out. Yesterday though, a lady making a left turn inside of me decided she was going to try to plant her front bumper edge into my left leg. Luckily she stopped in time before impact.

rdbonds
04-30-2021, 07:56 AM
Agree about trying to keep an eye out behind, willtill. Twice over the years, I've noticed that a car behind me didn't seem to be stopping in time, and managed to scramble out of the way (between cars in traffic) before the offending vehicle finally came to a stop occupying the spot I was previously in. I'm certainly NOT claiming to be skill on my part of course...like you said, I got lucky and noticed with enough time to do something.

wjduke - Hopefully things quiet down for you. In the meanwhile, might I recommend some lighting upgrades to improve visibility (see attached). Nah, who am I kidding, they still won't see us.

willtill
04-30-2021, 08:02 AM
Wearing a white helmet helps A LOT for increased visibility. It's the most visible in the color spectrum.

Being that wjduke's F6B is white, you would think that it would help as well. :shrug:

vstar09
04-30-2021, 05:50 PM
Yeah I switched to a white helmet on my black 13, also my eyes are always scanning the rear view mirrors!

wjduke
04-30-2021, 06:49 PM
Wearing a white helmet helps A LOT for increased visibility. It's the most visible in the color spectrum.

Being that wjduke's F6B is white, you would think that it would help as well. :shrug:

Thanks you guys. I’m shopping for a new helmet now and I’m surely going with a light color, white or matte white like the bike. Like you said, will it be an aid for me, doubtful! My buddy told me tonight....you won’t die on a bike, you’ll drop a jar of mustard in the kitchen and that will do it. Had to laugh and he’s probably right.

F6Dave
04-30-2021, 09:36 PM
A white helmet is also a bit cooler in hot weather. I have a white mesh jacket too. It's surprisingly comfortable in temps in the 90s.

BuzzzPhotos
05-01-2021, 12:41 AM
Just bought Rick's F6B from Value Accessories. Just got it home & were checking out all the extra lighting, flashing colors & the wonderful way they're hidden. Only a real, 100% dumbass will run into me now. I wish the best for WJ Duke. Hopefully the last rear end for him.

willtill
05-01-2021, 05:54 AM
Just bought Rick's F6B from Value Accessories. Just got it home & were checking out all the extra lighting, flashing colors & the wonderful way they're hidden. Only a real, 100% dumbass will run into me now. I wish the best for WJ Duke. Hopefully the last rear end for him.

Be careful, for there are countless 100% dumbasses out there.

willtill
05-01-2021, 06:05 AM
Besides all of my helmets being white, I've also applied DOT red reflective tape to the back of them. Really makes a visual difference at night when swept by headlights

https://i.postimg.cc/WbPPqdZr/IMG-0445.jpg

With flash:

https://i.postimg.cc/85rqjGPt/IMG-0446.jpg

ReserveBum
05-01-2021, 06:19 AM
Wayne, glad to hear you are ok. A possible suggestion: Get a trailer and trailer that bike out of eastern MA. Get over past Worcester or up into NH then ride it. I got a buddy near you with a wing and he would not ride it around that area, he towed it out of there every time.

wjduke
05-03-2021, 12:52 PM
Wayne, glad to hear you are ok. A possible suggestion: Get a trailer and trailer that bike out of eastern MA. Get over past Worcester or up into NH then ride it. I got a buddy near you with a wing and he would not ride it around that area, he towed it out of there every time.
I have a friend with a trailer. I kind of made a promise to myself that I won’t trailer it. I like to ride after work a lot. Not every ride is an all day affair. I’m just snake bit a little I think. I’m trying to ride like I always do. Im defensive believe it or not.