PDA

View Full Version : Tire purchase story

wjduke
06-06-2021, 04:49 PM
Just a fairly quick post of my ordeal...yes, another one.
Called my dealer to price tires and mounting. I know, do it yourself...I have multiple times and WANT to pay someone this time. Anyway, dealer talks me into Avon’s. Ok, heard of them, decide to go with them. Call him back, on hold, still on hold...he comes on the phone, we sold what we had and can’t them at this time. Sells me on something he can’t provide...wonderful. I go online, plenty of fronts, no rears. Try Bridgestones, same thing. Long story short, going with E4’s again. I say again because I had them before but for only 2,000 miles, due to getting in an accident. I do like the dual compound. Going to bring them there to be mounted. I guess I could have tried to wait, but my trip is approaching in about 4 weeks. Purchased from Rocky Mountain ATV, 499, tax included, free shipping. My Bridgestones that are on right now have 8,000 miles on them, but do have the flat area on the rear. Honestly could probably make the trip. The expense now is worth what I could be facing later.

willtill
06-06-2021, 07:27 PM
Put a car tire on the back, and you wouldn't have to worry about it for the next 25,000 miles. Cheaper too.

Sorcerer
06-06-2021, 07:53 PM
Was Dennis Kirk out of the Bridge Stone’s also?

wjduke
06-07-2021, 07:00 PM
Put a car tire on the back, and you wouldn't have to worry about it for the next 25,000 miles. Cheaper too.

I’m not for the use of car tires. Not getting into Will, been through this here before ��

wjduke
06-07-2021, 07:01 PM
Was Dennis Kirk out of the Bridge Stone’s also?

I didn’t try them. I’ve purchased there in the past and quite frankly didn’t think of them this time.

willtill
06-07-2021, 09:32 PM
I’m not for the use of car tires. Not getting into Will, been through this here before ��

Oh I know but people do change. So that's why I threw it out there again for you...

When I first went into the Army, I saw creamed beef for the first time in my life, on the mess line. Looked like vomit for breakfast. I could not bring myself to try it. I went for a few years absolutely appalled at the sight of it. Then one day, I became brave and tried some. It was delicious and I kicked myself in the ass for denying myself of it for all that time.

JackB
06-08-2021, 06:56 AM
Oh I know but people do change. So that's why I threw it out there again for you...

When I first went into the Army, I saw creamed beef for the first time in my life, on the mess line. Looked like vomit for breakfast. I could not bring myself to try it. I went for a few years absolutely appalled at the sight of it. Then one day, I became brave and tried some. It was delicious and I kicked myself in the ass for denying myself of it for all that time.
My dad used to call that shit on a single.
And he had my mother make it a few times and yes it looked bad but it tasted good.
Now I should go buy some.

wjduke
06-10-2021, 04:51 PM

I absolutely loved that the first time I tried it. Never saw it here, and whenever I see it anywhere, it’s on my plate!

maxrider
06-18-2021, 03:21 PM
FYI Dennis Kirk has the Bridgestone combo (G704-709)for $313.29 (10% coupon) out the door now, but I got it last time(Feb 21) for $238 out the door after the applied $75 Bridgestone visa gift card.

Somebody chime in when Bridgestone has this $75 gift card offer, I buy a backup set.

Sorcerer
06-18-2021, 10:15 PM
I just spent the Bridgestone $50 rebate that ended April 30. Oil and spark plugs for the F6B.

wjduke
06-19-2021, 08:17 AM
Bike is in the shop now, day three of a no more than two day promise. I’ve about had it with this shop. The work order didn’t match the quote. “ Oh, I entered the wrong labor rate.” Just before he said that, the other guy said it was that valve stems are extra. I was quoted an all in price. Typical dealership story as I ve always heard. My fault I guess, but I didn’t want to do this job myself, although I could have.

maxrider
06-20-2021, 04:28 PM
Just got my wake-up call on the tire condition, I should have known better, but thankfully my eagle eye buddies alerted me that I was coming up on the wear bar indicator of the tires.

But they looked so good :).

I would have embarked on a 4K trip and been in deep S..t, remind yourself the "the wear bar", forget about the rest of the tire.

Thanks, Tim and JJ for looking out.

By the way, the new tires make your F6B ride even better than before, if this possible :). Smooth.

It got better, really smooth-riding now, THE DARKSIDE, loving every minute of it, never ever going back to the crazy tire prices and lousy mileage, 3 new tires and 5 flats and one flatbed tow in 5 months, run-flats here I come:).

wjduke
06-21-2021, 06:49 PM
This story just continues. Got a call today, bike is finished. Fourth day after a promised no more than two. Ok, what’s the damage…$306.53. I was quoted $240 plus shop expenses. Think I saw $253 on the quote. Guy in the phone, not one of the service guys, says they put balance beads in them. Ok, that’s what I wanted in the first place, they said they didn’t use them, so I was going to settle for the spin balance. I can’t wait to pick it up. No calls to explain the spin to beads change, just toss on an extra $60, no big deal.
Bettancourts Honda in West Bridgewater, MA. Been in business since 1964. I have no clue how.

maxrider
06-21-2021, 11:03 PM
I can give you a partial clue, it is uninformed customers catering to their Stealership practices, and for prospective customers reading this and not making an informed decision is going to solidify the practice.

Yeah, it sucks you being taking advantage of, hope you find a better option in the future.

willtill
06-22-2021, 04:16 AM
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

tenxxx
06-22-2021, 06:40 AM
They promise you anything just to get your bike in their shop.
And then they start working on it and quit in the middle of the job to get the next victim in.
They only stock the little things, oil, filters, plugs.
They won't order anything till they have the bad part in their hands.
They have more accessories on the shelf than parts.
The best money is in new sales and acc's.
If they didn't have to do warranty work, they wouldn't have a shop.
Harding cycle in Canton Ohio, They close at noon so the employe's can take lunch. Don't open back up till 2:30.
The show room has maybe a dozen bikes. More side by sides than anything else. All the sales staff are sitting at there desks.
I stared straight at one for 5 minuets before he called me over to his desk.
I walked over to hm and kept going out the door. With a smile of corse.
Theres more to the story, but you get the picture.

billsim
06-22-2021, 09:31 AM
They promise you anything just to get your bike in their shop.
And then they start working on it and quit in the middle of the job to get the next victim in.
They only stock the little things, oil, filters, plugs.
They won't order anything till they have the bad part in their hands.
They have more accessories on the shelf than parts.
The best money is in new sales and acc's.
If they didn't have to do warranty work, they wouldn't have a shop.
Harding cycle in Canton Ohio, They close at noon so the employe's can take lunch. Don't open back up till 2:30.
The show room has maybe a dozen bikes. More side by sides than anything else. All the sales staff are sitting at there desks.
I stared straight at one for 5 minuets before he called me over to his desk.
I walked over to hm and kept going out the door. With a smile of corse.
Theres more to the story, but you get the picture.

Was just in there last week. Showroom is about 90% empty. Service seems to have 1 or 2 mechanics and has a 12 week wait for service appointments. Salesmen just sitting around playing on the computer....The parts department guys were working their asses off.

wjduke
06-22-2021, 10:19 AM
They gave me the feeling of dealing with a backyard mechanic, not a professional Honda dealership. As I said, I don’t know they stayed in business this long. Will, I hear you there. All I can say is I won’t be back, guarantee that.

Alvarez
07-06-2021, 07:22 PM
Probably too late, but J&P Cycles has the Avon Cobra rear for $256.

wjduke
07-07-2021, 07:53 AM
I’ll try them next time maybe. I couldn’t take the chance to wait at the time I ordered.

parenfroe
07-07-2021, 08:59 PM
My recent tire story: Ordered Elite 4s $569 from dealer in March. June 1, E4s still haven't left factory so I canceled order. Bought Bridgestones $325 on Wingstuff, had them in three days. With the money I saved I got the $225 Centramatics.

F6Dave
07-07-2021, 10:01 PM
The Bridgestones are a great tire at a real bargain of a price. I don't know why the competition charges so much more.

wjduke
07-08-2021, 02:00 PM
I liked the Bridgestones, but I developed that flat spot in the center of the rear. We have some twisties here, but not much. I’m hoping with the dual compound, the E4’s will wear better. If not, I won’t spend the extra next time.

rdbonds
07-08-2021, 03:11 PM
By all reports, E4s do last longer. Some folks report a bit of squirrelly action on tar snakes in the wet. YMMV.

I typically run the Bridgestones and get ~8K miles out of them (that is, if I don't pick up a nail in the rear first). I swear they have magnets in them :) I'm too weird about tires to just plug them and keep going. I keep saying that one day I'll give it a shot. As it is, though...my last 4 have averaged 4K miles each before claimed by nails....so unless I change my ways and start plugging them, the longer life E4s won't do me any good.