PDA

View Full Version : Best helmet in the HEAT

stevenolts
06-15-2021, 12:51 PM
I usually just use my 1/4 helmet when riding in the heat (or most of the time if its not raining)

I wear a Klim jacket and Dianese pants, and gloves to be safe and then I put on a 1/4 helmet. Not very smart!!!!
I need to find at least a 1/2 helemet I can wear comfortably in the heat and be safer.

I need advice please.

Stevenolts

Willl
06-15-2021, 01:29 PM
Here is a link to the 1/2 helmet I wear

https://www.daytonahelmets.com/d.o.t.-daytona-skull-cap-wo-visor-grey-carbon-fibe
https://www.daytonahelmets.com/ear-warmers-for-daytona-skull-cap-styles

When I did my research many years ago, this helmet was the lightest weight DOT 1/2 helmet on the market, as far as heat on the head is concerned, it is better than any DOT 3/4 or full helmet I have come across but far from ideal

What does a 1/4 helmet look like? I have never heard of one

willtill
06-15-2021, 01:51 PM
White colored helmet

/thread

stevenolts
06-15-2021, 02:08 PM
I meant to say 1/2 helmet / I have one I bought in 2010 when I had my Harley Fatboy / very comfortable maybe some kind of higher end fiberglass 1/2 helmet?/?
I like it much better than no helmet

I have a Bell Pit Boss which is ok
I have a Schuberth C3 modular for the cold weather.

I need a 3/4 for safety

Stevenolts

maxrider
06-15-2021, 02:59 PM
I guess that is very liberal to offer 1/4 of the mug in the name of safety :).(I mean HEAT)but you get it.

My thinking is that less sun exposure to the skin and penetration to the inside of the helmet would keep you cooler, and also give you that additional face protection, and opening the vents and potentially lifting the face shield a bit would get you that needed airflow.

But this discussion is like oil and tires, with many options :).

rdbonds
06-15-2021, 06:40 PM
stevenolts - When riding my F6, I typically wear a Shoei RJ Platinum R 3/4 when it's hot out. The RJ flows lots of air. I agree with others here that white or silver in color help, too.

Draxsr
06-15-2021, 07:05 PM
My Schuberth C3 Pro does just fine. When it's real hot, I simply open the visor. The wet neck gator and cool-vest under a mesh jacket keep me cool for those high temps.

stevenolts
06-16-2021, 08:15 AM
I am looking at maybe buying the Shoei J-Cruise II
Does anyone have this helmet?
How is it in the heat?
Can you ride with the clear shield up? how is the wind noise with shield up? down?
Can you ride with the 1st or 2nd detent on the clear shield / any problems staying in place at these 1st and 2nd detents?
Does it come with the pin lock? or is it just pin lock ready?
Can I use my side mount SENA 50S I just bought a month ago ?/ I heard it may be difficult with the built in SENA ready

I have the Scorpion EXO CT-2250 similar style to the Shoei J-Cruise II (but with poor quality lots of noise) I love the idea I just need it executed with better quality

Does anyone recommend some other 3/4 helmet?

Stevenolts

rdbonds
06-16-2021, 09:59 AM
J-Cruise II is based on the Neotec II modular helmet. I had the original Neotec for 9 years, and have a Neotec II now. I wear it on the F6b when it's not super hot out, and on my R1200GSA all the time. I've never tried the J-cruise, but perhaps my observations from the Neotec can help?

From the original Neotec to the "2", they focused a lot on noise reduction. Unfortunately that resulted in "refined" vents that don't flow as much air. It's TOMB silent, but runs warmer than the original. Not sure if it's the same for the j-cruise.

Both my Neotecs have come with the pinlock in the box with the helmet.

On my original Neotec, I was able to use a Sena unit that clamped on the helmet. On the new Neotec (like the J-cruise) it has the space for the Sena SRL comm unit. That makes the helmet thicker in the sides (on both sides) and the clamp-ons don't work (I tried). If your unit can stick on with 2-way tape, maybe it'll work. I decided to go out and buy the SRL and use it. It works ok. The buttons are TINY and hard to operate with gloves on. It's the same unit for Neotec and J-cruise AFAIK.

parenfroe
06-16-2021, 08:53 PM
Well I confess: I have the bona fide coolest helmet, an old 1/2 shell which I repainted matte black and adapted as follows. Removed styrofoam shell and used a hot wire to melt air channels into the styrofoam, leading from the leading edge and fanning out to the side and read edges. Depth each channel 1/4"-3/8". Then reassembled. Someone will probably excoriate me for compromising my helmet safety. But as I see it, while I may have reduced the impact absorption, that marginal reduction is outweighed by the reduction in the temptation not to wear it (live in FL) and the increased endurance of my attentiveness. My theory was that the air flow hitting the front of the helmet would by its own pressure circulate within the helmet and it sure enough does. Please--no excoriation!

stevenolts
06-17-2021, 07:17 AM
I understand what you are saying about the heat.

I need to change my location I have lived in Freeport, FL right near Destin, FL for almost 4 years now.
I work at Eglin AFB

stevenolts

stevenolts
06-17-2021, 08:58 AM
I just found another contender in my quest for a HEAT tolerant helmet.

Schuberth M1 Pro Outline Helmet $599.99
Same price as the Shoei J-Cruise II $599.99

Does anyone have this helmet? how does it compare to the Shoei J-Cruise II? any comments??

I have the Schuberth C2 modular helmet and I love it so maybe this is the one??/

rdbonds
06-17-2021, 01:29 PM
Well I confess: I have the bona fide coolest helmet, an old 1/2 shell which I repainted matte black and adapted as follows. Removed styrofoam shell and used a hot wire to melt air channels into the styrofoam, leading from the leading edge and fanning out to the side and read edges. Depth each channel 1/4"-3/8". Then reassembled. Someone will probably excoriate me for compromising my helmet safety. But as I see it, while I may have reduced the impact absorption, that marginal reduction is outweighed by the reduction in the temptation not to wear it (live in FL) and the increased endurance of my attentiveness. My theory was that the air flow hitting the front of the helmet would by its own pressure circulate within the helmet and it sure enough does. Please--no excoriation!

No Ex-core-ee-ay-shun from me. I'd have to go look it up in the dictionary first so that I'd know what I was doing.
:cheers:

stevenolts
06-19-2021, 03:03 PM
I am now looking at the Arai Ram X
most expensive of the 3 at $699.99 but is supposed to be rated the best and safest????

I can't try one on local so I need advice if available???

Arai Ram X $699.99 / Shoei J-Cruise II $599.99 / Shuberth M1 Pro $599.99

stevenolts

stevenolts
07-28-2021, 10:32 AM
UPDATE

I bought a Shoei J-Cruise 2 after they finally came back in stock.

I bought this helmet after a month of continuous research youtube etc...
I could not find any of the top helmets anywhere to try out in person.

I bought this helmet for these reasons:
Safety
High ratings
airflow
drop down dark sun screen
comfort
stability at speed (no buffeting)

I sent it back for these reasons:
It was not as comfortable as my old Schuberth C3
When the vents were open it was way too loud (annoying)
It had some buffeting

I could not find this info on youtube
I was able to install my SENA 50S

stevenolts
07-28-2021, 10:37 AM
My plan now is:

For riding in the Florida heat and for comfort

Schuberth C3 modular
I removed the chin bar and shield
I use Wiley X Airrage Sunglasses with the foam insert

For rain and cooler weather

I am looking at Schuberth C4 Pro or Shoei Neotech 2

I am leaning towards the Schuberth C4 Pro

stevenolts
07-28-2021, 10:38 AM
Schuberth C4 Pro

How is the pre-installed SENA?

stevenolts

Eternalydamd
07-28-2021, 02:43 PM
I just got the Shoei Neotech 2 last week, I installed the Sena SRL system that was designed for this helmet. The helmet is much quieter than my old RF-1200 (I put over 80,000 miles on it), It is much more comfortable, and has better airflow. I already put about 1,000 miles into the Neotech 2 over the weekend, and I gotta say, I am very impressed with it, even with the chin bar down and the wind visor raised (with the tinted visor insert down) there wasn't too much noise, there was little to no buffeting even at 90 mph, and it stayed comfortable for over 6 hours of riding a day. I highly recommend this helmet.

zeus661
07-28-2021, 03:23 PM
Half helmet with a do-rag soaked in water

wjduke
07-29-2021, 04:16 AM
My new Neotec II doesn’t give the ventilation advertised, but, I think it’s the windscreen blocking the air. I look through the screen, and I’m pretty sure I’m too low for the vents to do their job. Can’t blame the helmet. Love it otherwise. Better than my RF-1200 for sure. I’ve been in over 90 degrees every day and I can ride with the shield up with no buffering.

jm21ddd15
07-29-2021, 07:37 AM
Best helmet for the heat? Not really sure if there is such a thing. Some are more comfortable for sure, but heat is heat, just gotta deal with it. A great fitting helmet, with good ventilation on one persons head, won't necessarily fit on someone else's head. Too many different shaped heads. Maybe find a friend that will let you test some other helmets.

gadgeteer
07-29-2021, 08:33 AM
Go the extra mile (for extra bucks) with this one.
https://feherhelmets.com/

SeaSteve
07-29-2021, 09:04 AM
I've changed to Scorpion EXO helmets several years ago. The 3/4 CT-220 has good ventilation so I also picked up the modular AT-950. The 950 has good ventilation also but the visor does block it when it's all the way up.

Eternalydamd
07-29-2021, 01:22 PM
That is insane! looks like it's pretty heavy, although I might have gotten that instead of the Neotech II I got last week had I known it was a thing.

stevenolts
07-29-2021, 01:50 PM
For Heat
I have the Schuberth C3 modular with the chin bar and the shield removed

I need for Rain and Cold

I am deciding between Schuberth C4 Pro | Shoei Neotech 2

I am leaning toward the Schuberth C4 Pro Has anyone got this helmet?

Stevenolts

stevenolts
07-29-2021, 01:53 PM
By the way after much searching and many helmets later (including the Shoei J-Cruise 2)

I think this is working Great
For Heat
I have the Schuberth C3 modular with the chin bar and the shield removed

I highly recommend this if you have an older Schuberth C3

Draxsr
07-30-2021, 05:57 AM
Schuberth C4 Pro

How is the pre-installed SENA?

stevenolts

I've got one and have zero problems with it. Though I only use the BT receiver to connect to my Garmin, I get the GPS and my tunes just fine. Note I also wear "Earpeace" ear plugs as well which really chops out the wind noise and allows the music to come through just fine.

stevenolts
07-30-2021, 06:28 AM
Thank you Draxsr

I love my Schuberth c3 / I will probably love the C4

Stevenolts