PDA

View Full Version : NY laws , say it isn't so ...

Phantom
12-16-2013, 07:10 PM
This is ridiculous ... :banghead:

http://youtu.be/zDsWfGNypW8

GONRDN
12-16-2013, 07:23 PM
After doing some research on this, it seems that those nice boys were cleaning 20-30 cars a day in their driveway with compressors and all. The neighbors complained about the noise. Maybe it was their property, but its being used as a commercial cleaning service. Keep in mind that in some areas of NY, your neighbor in no more then 25 feet away from you. Of course my research could be wrong and it was referring to another case.

Scotrod
12-16-2013, 07:45 PM
3 sides to every story,,,:shrug:

gray rider
12-16-2013, 08:06 PM
We have a local ordinance that no repair work of any type may be performed on a motor vehicle in public view on private property. I was changing oil on my Corvette in my own driveway and got royally hassled by one of our local officers. I was ordered to get the car down off the ramps now or get a citation. The oil was draining and the oil filter was off so it obviously wasn't going anywhere "now". The officer told me I was insubordinate and resisting his direct order. I told him it wasn't going to be moved until it was buttoned up. He asked me for my license and proof of insurance which was in the house in my wallet. He was literally joyful in that I had driven the car without having my license and insurance card on me. The car was backed out of my garage, run until warm and driven up the ramps on private property a total of about twenty feet. I went into the house and called my lawyer friend and he said take the phone out and let him talk to the officer which I did. My friend asked the officer if he had nothing better to do he was in the wrong line of work. He also asked for the officers full name and badge number. The conversation was short the officer then took my license and insurance card to his car and took about 25 minutes trying to find something he could get me on. By then I had the Vette full of oil and off the ramps. The officer returned my paperwork and said he never wanted to see the Vette even parked outside and that there better not be any criticism of his work performance. My new house has big shop so everything can be done inside. I have a hidden dedicated outside wash pad for the bikes. The spirit of the ordinance was to prevent old half assembled junkers from rusting away in driveways and backyards. I guess in the eyes of the law my Corvette convertable fit the spirit of the ordinance. Keep in mind our rights are eroded little by little until we have nothing left on which to stand against outright tyranny.

BuzzzPhotos
12-16-2013, 08:59 PM
This is ridiculous ... :banghead:

http://youtu.be/zDsWfGNypW8

Can they ride bikes in New York without Big Brother getting in the way? If you can't wash your car I'd bet they really don't like our noise.

Steve 0080
12-16-2013, 09:21 PM
In my subdivision we have a HOA... and you can not do anything w/o permission!! and working on a car would send someone off the deep end !!!!!

4DI2D
12-16-2013, 09:39 PM
With a mig welder, compressor and various power tools in my garage I would have to be insane to consider an area with an HOA!

Big Jay
12-16-2013, 09:44 PM
This kind of stuff! is one of the reasons I live about 10 miles out of town, a small town. It's not for every one . I sure do enjoy living in the country though, except the 1/2 mile of gravel road.

Philbert40
12-16-2013, 10:49 PM
Sooner or later, we are heading toward a revolution. As the tyrannical state and federal government officials continue to create law, rules, regulations and other layers of minutiae, we the people will only stand for so much.

As I tell my friends, don't buy gold.....buy lead!

bob109
12-17-2013, 05:51 AM
This kind of stuff! is one of the reasons I live about 10 miles out of town, a small town. It's not for every one . I sure do enjoy living in the country though, except the 1/2 mile of gravel road.

+1! Born and raised in a northeastern city, one side of my parents home was literally 3 ft from the neighbors house. When my father painted the wood siding only three sides were painted. Using a extension ladder on the side closest to the neighbor was impossible. That said, all of the homes on our street had a front porch which folks used each evening (weather permitting). There was conversation and much laughter. Neighbors knew neighbors and could be depended on for some help if needed. Those days are long gone. After my stint in the Navy I married and built a home in the country, 17 miles from the closest major metropolis. Life is good. I'm surrounded by 200 acres of farm land with the Father-in-Law owns and cherish both the view and solitude. Working about my home I can accomplish any task I wish without interruption or concern to my good neighbors. Most, if not all, gated communities, and the like, have some extremely intrusive HOA which IMHO infringe on a homeowner's abilities to "tinker". I can understand people/owners not wanting junk cars laying around but telling a motor/gear head like myself that I can't do routine maintenance on my vehicles would be reason to relocate.

austin_tech
12-17-2013, 07:45 AM
Sooner or later, we are heading toward a revolution. As the tyrannical state and federal government officials continue to create law, rules, regulations and other layers of minutiae, we the people will only stand for so much.

As I tell my friends, don't buy gold.....buy lead!

Oh boy, somebody done hit the Redneck Button! Our country's going down the tubes because some kids got talked to about pressure washing 30 cars a day in their driveway in a residential area!! Git out yer guns!!

Mustangjake
12-17-2013, 08:02 AM
Some people have nothing better to do than to bitch about what you're doing!

Deer Slayer
12-17-2013, 08:12 AM
Ha try to put up a Ham Radio tower some time. I am centered in a farm. happygirl

Scotrod
12-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Its never a problem as long as you are free to do whatever.

But then again, it might be a problem if it means you have to put up with other peoples schit.

I've been on both sides of that equation. We all fit in somewhere,,, someplace,,, sometimes,,, :icon_wink:

JesseS
12-20-2013, 06:25 PM
This is one reason why I live in a rural area with no HOA. I hear you about the tower and tri-bander, a hard sell for sure. I work on my Bike, cars, and motor home in my yard all the time without any issues, I hope the day won't come where that changes, at least here.