PDA

View Full Version : New owner 1st impressions

glengarrygr
07-25-2021, 02:54 AM
I purchased a 2013 F6B last month. After a 1 way flight, I had to drive it 8 hours from Las Vegas back to Carson City, NV. My first thought was "I made a mistake, this motorcycle has a VW beetle bolted onto the front forks". The size was intimidating but honestly, by the time I was out of his subdivision I felt fine. It's true, the LCG does make for easy handling. Record high temps. Saturday it reached 118. I saved my arse by reading a bit about surviving a desert run in the heat. A trick that saved me: one bag of ice between my thin leather jacket and my wicking t-shirt, plus another on my handlebars...both bags picked with holes from a pen. The ice water cooled me well. The bags last about an hour. It was essential for comfort. My impressions of the F6B are in bullets for brevity; and other car forums have an unwritten rule about how posts should include pics to tell your story. Feel free to skip down to the F6B impressions.

My Experience
Started in dirt as a kid. I am a retired Road Racer (Privateer). Qualified for 3 pro races (Loudon, Daytona, Mid-Ohio) in the 90s, but admittedly, when in the national pro level races, I was a back-marker. Humbling experience.

My current bike
2014 Harley Breakout CVO w/ V&H Big Radius

Past bikes
Sucker Punch Sally's bobber
2009 Street Glide
2006 Road King
2013 Road King
2014 Ducati Monster
A boatload of sport bikes trashed on the tracks

My F6B
2013 Black 14k miles
Cobra exhaust
Madstad
Chrome added to lower area

F6B Pros
Wind protection
LCG handling, agility
Madstad is rad; I could smoke a White Owl back there
Acceleration (wow)
Looks like a bullet train
I am shocked at how many people comment on the bike's looks. Everywhere.
I love my F6B; just as much as past HDs.

F6B Cons
By far worst thing is Cobra pipes; WAY to loud. Sounds cool up to 40mph. Then it is like a low drone roar in my ear as if a baritone tenor was on the pillion blasting in my ear. I plan to put stock pipes back on. HD tour bikes I've had delivered a smooth sounding rumble at speed.
Plastic looks like stolen from a Honda Accord (wonder if anyone modified this)
Not digging the lack of a 6th gear. In the desert at 90mph I was at 4k RPMs if my memory is correct. But I know the Honda flat six will be fine.
Stock seat. I recall in 7th grade being propped up on a pommel horse. Same feeling. Help! I want the Saddlemen RoadSofa but lists show fitment for 2014-2017 for F6B. Why not my 2013? :confused:. I do see the Saddlemen Profiler available. Also read about difficult fitments on aftermarket seats.
I'd pay more for better looking plastic on the dash. I think HD wins in that category, but Honda wins in the engineering category. IMHO.

That's it. I am pleased with my purchase. Thanks for having me here, and I look forward to contributing.

glengarrygr
07-25-2021, 02:56 AM

wjduke
07-25-2021, 06:19 AM
I’m on a long trip right now. The seat, to me, is fine. I have to wiggle around every once in a while, that’s it. This bike is so solid on the highway. I listen to that purr all day long. She doesn’t miss a beat. I actually feel bad for her. I’ve been averaging 5-600 per day. Been on the move for a solid week. This is why I named her Gibraltar. Solid bike. Some minor faults, yes, but as Teach always says…best bike ever.

JackB
07-25-2021, 07:14 AM
You have a great collection of bikes.
Hope your other bikes don’t get jealous of the F6B.
I have some stock mufflers that I might sell.
Enjoy your new ride.

maxrider
07-25-2021, 10:41 AM
TBR pipes and Torq loopz, to eliminate your drone, for sure anything better than "stock" and you never get off the bike:)

Welcome on board.

glengarrygr
07-25-2021, 11:41 AM
wjduke; Fall River? My dad grew up in New Bedford...our family grew up in Lakeville, MA. on Long Pond. My dad passed in 1980 and my step father was a State Trooper stationed out of Fall River. That's a lot of miles per day! I bet the stock seat would be fine if I was taller...(I am 5'7")

glengarrygr
07-25-2021, 11:42 AM
Ok Jack, I am in the middle of a job relo that will take me from Carson City NV to Atlanta. Movers come end of July. So I'll be looking to sell the Cobra 15-piece band pipes after that.

glengarrygr
07-25-2021, 12:58 PM
Maxrider; After reading your post I looked at several vids of Two Brothers; thank you...I may then just keep the Cobra 6 pipes given this post I found: "The Torq Loopz will eliminate the drone sound on any aftermarket muffler system & will sound that much better with torq loopz. However, installing torq loopz involves removing the crossover pipe and the 2 cat converters."

willtill
07-25-2021, 01:38 PM
~Snip~
Record high temps. Saturday it reached 118. I saved my arse by reading a bit about surviving a desert run in the heat. A trick that saved me: one bag of ice between my thin leather jacket and my wicking t-shirt, plus another on my handlebars...both bags picked with holes from a pen. The ice water cooled me well. The bags last about an hour. It was essential for comfort.
~Snip~

Interesting. Can you explain more about a bag of ice on the handlebars? I've never heard of that hot weather technique before...

glengarrygr
07-25-2021, 01:57 PM
HI willtill. I spent 12 years in Silver Spring, MD. I hadn't heard of the ice bag trick either. I found it looking for survival tips. But trust me it worked. The turbulence in that area of the bike resulted in a continuous sprinkle of ice cold water droplets on the face (Shark full face helmet with movable jaw part slid to back) and neck...I let the jack zipper down 1/3 to let water drops hit chest too. I could vary it by the number and size of the punctured holes. I also kept a cube in my mouth. The bag stayed in place perfectly. Here is a pic.

F6Dave
07-25-2021, 02:05 PM
I saw that a few years ago. A couple on a Harley came out of a liquor store with only a bag of ice. I had to ask, and the woman said they tied it to the handlebars and punched holes in it. They had no windshield but apparently it worked.

rdbonds
07-25-2021, 07:39 PM
Congrats on the new to you bike, glengarrygr. I suspect you won't be disappointed.

I did a fly-n-ride to pick mine up when I bought it new in July 2014. Flew out, picked her up and rode her home. It's a great way to get to know the bike. :)

Good luck with the relo.

willtill
07-25-2021, 07:43 PM
HI willtill. I spent 12 years in Silver Spring, MD. I hadn't heard of the ice bag trick either. I found it looking for survival tips. But trust me it worked. The turbulence in that area of the bike resulted in a continuous sprinkle of ice cold water droplets on the face (Shark full face helmet with movable jaw part slid to back) and neck. I could vary it by the number and size of the punctured holes. I also kept a cube in my mouth. The bag stayed in place perfectly. Here is a pic.

How interesting. Will keep that idea in the ol'e bag of tricks!

By the way, welcome to the forum. :039:

wjduke
07-25-2021, 08:43 PM
That’s my riding area. Lakeville, Rochester, out that way. I work out of New Bedford and my mother and sister live there now.
I did 674 today to get to my sisters in Houston. BTW, I stayed in a dinky motel last night on old Rt66. Had to buy a hat for the occasion. It was dinky, but I’m telling you guys this….it was $60 for the night, and just as good as any we paid four times as much for. The Fabulous 40’s it’s called, Adrian, TX.

FarsideF6B
07-25-2021, 09:25 PM
Welcome to the F6B family. I'm fairly new here myself but I love the bike and the ride. It satisfying to have the comfort & reliability of a Honda. :cool:

Eternalydamd
07-25-2021, 10:32 PM
Was that the one that had "Cadillac" stickers on the side bags? I had seen it and was thinking about going to get it before I found mine but decided I didn't like the stickers or all the chrome, glad you like her though.

glengarrygr
07-26-2021, 12:20 AM
Yes rdbonds, what a way to get to know the bike. I did 6 hours in that heat and it took my energy away. I stopped overnight and finished the trip the next morning. Our family is relocating to Alpharetta...I see you are only 1 hour from me. We will have to meet up with other F6B riders. Must be at least a few in Atlanta area.

glengarrygr
07-26-2021, 12:22 AM
Welcome to the F6B family. I'm fairly new here myself but I love the bike and the ride. It satisfying to have the comfort & reliability of a Honda. :cool:

I feel adopted. :o

glengarrygr
07-26-2021, 12:24 AM
It was the Cadillac one. The owner was a really nice guy. I asked him to remove it for me...it was just a chrome sticker. And the reason I purchased this one was the Madstad & Cobra pipes...which I didn't realize would be a drawback. So I'll do the Torq Loopz mod. Also, I will remove the chrome around the front wheel. Don't like it. And I may put the black back on the chrome along the lower side. Not sure I like that either!

F6Dave
07-26-2021, 08:56 AM
BTW, I stayed in a dinky motel last night on old Rt66. Had to buy a hat for the occasion. It was dinky, but I’m telling you guys this….it was $60 for the night, and just as good as any we paid four times as much for. The Fabulous 40’s it’s called, Adrian, TX.

There are lots of nice old motels along the original Route 66. A decade ago I stayed at one in Tucumcari, NM. It was built in the 1960s, with the large rooms that were typical then. It was spotless and priced absurdly low. The bed felt nearly new, but most of the furniture was decades old, yet in surprisingly good condition.

I spoke with the owners for a while. They had moved to NM from Pennsylvania. They loved all the Route 66 nostalgia, and were working hard to keep a piece of it alive.

I was amazed at how many guests were from overseas, visiting the USA specifically to drive Route 66. They must see it as a piece of history that you can still experience. I met a group of nine Swiss police officers, riding Route 66 on rented Harleys for a magazine article back home. I also met three old guys from Australia who had bought a beautifully restored '65 T-Bird convertible in Tennessee. They were driving it to L.A. on Route 66, where they would ship it back to Australia. I also met two guys driving the old Studebaker Hawks in the photo below to a rally. One was the very rare Super Hawk with the factory Paxton supercharger.

http://dchealy.com/valk/rt66motel3.jpg

http://dchealy.com/valk/rt66motel1.jpg

http://dchealy.com/valk/rt66motel2.jpg

wjduke
07-26-2021, 11:34 AM
And it didn’t look this good at night lol

I think I hijacked this guys thread enough!

GeorgeJetson
07-26-2021, 02:47 PM
Hello all .. although I've been a forum member for a couple of years, I just purchased an F6B (still can't call it Goldwing) last week. Tons of new holdover 2018's in the pipeline the last couple of years, but buyers went into panic mode this year and gobbled up all the inventory. Most of the used ones had some pretty wild looking accessories, so had to get a 2021. Sold my Victory Vision earlier last week and then pulled the trigger. Would have been happy with a DCT or Manual, but ended up with the Manual.

Landshark
07-26-2021, 06:32 PM
Glad you found the F6B to your liking. I, like you, have owned just about every kind of motorcycle and love the F6b. I still have 4 Harleys and an Indian. I don’t see parting with the B until I stop riding. Too comfortable and too much fun on longer rides. Stock except a Klockworks screen and a Corbin seat. Good luck with your new ride.

jm21ddd15
07-26-2021, 09:23 PM
Welcome to the F6B forum. good info here. Exhaust noise is a personal choice. Some like loud, others not so. So, if you don't like the cobra sound, don't blame Honda, just get something different. Also same with seats. Everyone's ass is different size and shape. Just sit on a few different brands. and absorb any info about aftermarket seats and make your choice. Pipes and seats do not define this fabulous F6B. This bike can deliver great rides on the main routes, back roads, twistys, switchbacks, or whatever you feel like throwing at it. The more you ride it, the better it gets!

glengarrygr
07-26-2021, 10:48 PM
Great photos...and what a memorable trip.

glengarrygr
07-26-2021, 10:50 PM
hijack all ya want. I love riding stories. I find the reading of other's stories is great therapy....

glengarrygr
07-26-2021, 10:52 PM
Man I love that look. The newer model looks like something out of the future. I wonder what the ride difference is between the F6B and 2018+.

wjduke
07-28-2021, 05:45 PM
Well here’s more then lol…..I hate two things on this trip of mine. First, cement highways are absolutely the worst to ride on. Up and down constantly for miles and noisy. Worse than my roads up north, and that’s bad. 2nd, who has the cruise control fix for these older F6B’s? Mine is going to kill me with the delay issue. I swear at times it takes a half mile for the thing to connect.

glengarrygr
07-28-2021, 11:16 PM
if you don't like the cobra sound, don't blame Honda, just get something different. Also same with seats.

Agree; I was referring to the specific set-up in the F6B I purchased. I was not clear about that. Another poster told me the drone sound is eliminated with the Torq Loopz mod...I'll do that. I don't mind loud...I do mind a horrible drone noise. As far as seat...I'm still confused as to why the Saddlemen RoadSofa is advertised as fitting only 2014-2017. I even wrote to them and they said no go on the 2013. Add to that posts of some having difficulty with the install.... I could order it and they said they would take it back if it didn't it. Just absorb shipping costs...which are high for such a large item. Despite these two items to address, I really love this F6B and it encourages me to take longer rides.

glengarrygr
07-28-2021, 11:19 PM
Two things I feel the F6B don't need: Cruise and reverse. I use the $10 plastic palm-rest and find it super comfortable to enable wrist relaxation. I'm only 5'7" and I back the bike up fine.

wjduke
07-29-2021, 04:10 AM
I never use cruise, but, on a 7,000 mile trip you have to, trust me on this. I love to be on the grip, but on long days you need more of a break.

JackB
07-29-2021, 05:59 AM
Agree; I was referring to the specific set-up in the F6B I purchased. I was not clear about that. Another poster told me the drone sound is eliminated with the Torq Loopz mod...I'll do that. I don't mind loud...I do mind a horrible drone noise. As far as seat...I'm still confused as to why the Saddlemen RoadSofa is advertised as fitting only 2014-2017. I even wrote to them and they said no go on the 2013. Add to that posts of some having difficulty with the install.... I could order it and they said they would take it back if it didn't it. Just absorb shipping costs...which are high for such a large item. Despite these two items to address, I really love this F6B and it encourages me to take longer rides.
I’m not an expert but I would bet the seat will fit a 2013 F6B, Honda didn’t change anything on the newer models.
Ultimate, Mustang, and Corbin are also the options

jm21ddd15
07-29-2021, 07:31 AM

You can purchase a set of "tapered seat bolts" which makes installing the seat much easier. Check on our forum venders web site for these. Not expensive.

SeaSteve
07-29-2021, 09:24 AM
Two things I feel the F6B don't need: Cruise and reverse.

I DONT THINK SO!!! I'm fine without reverse but LOVE my cruise control. :cool:

Well here’s more then lol…(W)ho has the cruise control fix for these older F6B’s? Mine is going to kill me with the delay issue. I swear at times it takes a half mile for the thing to connect.

I've got the AngleRideVideos (http://www.angelridevideos.com/gl1800.html) from Fred Harmon which have an adjustment solution for the cruise control "lag." I'm planning on doing the adjustment when I clean the air filter in a month or so, 32K miles. The adjustment is probably available in an older post but I'll try to provide it here when I get a chance to watch it.

F6Dave
07-29-2021, 11:08 AM
I DONT THINK SO!!! I'm fine without reverse but LOVE my cruise control. :cool:

I completely agree. I miss a few things from my 2013, like the quiet pipes and the non-cancelling turn signals. But I can overlook those because the cruise control is so nice. I've never had it before and didn't realize what a difference it makes on a long trip.

Eternalydamd
07-29-2021, 01:25 PM
I completely agree. I miss a few things from my 2013, like the quiet pipes and the non-cancelling turn signals. But I can overlook those because the cruise control is so nice. I've never had it before and didn't realize what a difference it makes on a long trip.

I do love the cruise control on my Deluxe, although with my inseam being only 28" I could really use that reverse when trying to back up up even the smallest of hills.

OlyF6B
07-29-2021, 01:34 PM
On my 2016 Deluxe (bought 2017), I found a gently used Saddleman seat that on the "Net' didn't show fitment for a 2016. The person I bought it from stated that it had come off of a 2016. So I rolled the dice and basically it fit 99.99%. The mounting holes are "just a smidge off" so that the OEM mounting bolts are very difficult - if not impossible to use. I did some 'Net' research and found others had purchased some Showchrome Tapered Bolts. (I painted the heads flat black prior to install.) These still required some patience to get a good alignment and I was very careful to not strip the threads. I really like the Saddleman seat. I can do 400+ miles a day w/o getting monkey butt.

tenxxx
07-29-2021, 09:43 PM
The first time I had the seat off I tapered the ends of the screws. The threaded holes felt rough while turning the screws out so cleaning the threads and tapering did the trick.

JackB
07-30-2021, 05:58 AM
The first time I had the seat off I tapered the ends of the screws. The threaded holes felt rough while turning the screws out so cleaning the threads and tapering did the trick.

Yes I did the same thing.
The first time take some patients to get the seat on correctly but now the seat comes off and on very easily.

glengarrygr
07-30-2021, 06:47 PM
I’m not an expert but I would bet the seat will fit a 2013 F6B, Honda didn’t change anything on the newer models.
Ultimate, Mustang, and Corbin are also the options

Yes..I've had 4 different Corbins over the years, The Ultimate is a maybe, and the Mustang would be a second choice, but the Road Sofa from Saddlemen looked the best from what I can see...had great reviews. I agree with you...I even told the rep that replied to me that there is no difference on the 2013. I'll try it and wrestle it on there.

glengarrygr
07-30-2021, 06:48 PM
Excellent; Thank you!

glengarrygr
07-30-2021, 06:52 PM
Thanks Oly...I'm in for the showchrome tapered bolts! Thank you for taking the time to post a pic! Last night I was hot and not quite ready for bed...took the F6B out for a nice cool night ride...only 30 min but it was refreshing and comfortable.

glengarrygr
07-30-2021, 06:55 PM
[QUOTE=SeaSteve;186614]I DONT THINK SO!!! I'm fine without reverse but LOVE my cruise control. :cool:

I bet if I get on longer rides I'll want the cruise. But I didn't notice it driving the 8 hours from Las Vegas to Carson City. But I did break it up into 2 easy days.

willtill
07-30-2021, 07:00 PM
Well here’s more then lol…..I hate two things on this trip of mine. First, cement highways are absolutely the worst to ride on. Up and down constantly for miles and noisy. Worse than my roads up north, and that’s bad. 2nd, who has the cruise control fix for these older F6B’s? Mine is going to kill me with the delay issue. I swear at times it takes a half mile for the thing to connect.

Nonsense. You're on an iron horse. Look what the Pony Express had to put up with during their jaunts across the prairies. Indian country and such.

Consider yerself fortunate for the padded seat, shocks and heated grips. :icon_mrgreen:

willtill
07-30-2021, 07:04 PM
The F6B cruise control rocks. It does come in handy when you want to shake yer right hand for a bit.

All of those cheap cruise control solutions have their moment, but the integrated F6B cruise control is mighty nice to have if you call on it.

wjduke
07-30-2021, 07:35 PM
Nonsense. You're on an iron horse. Look what the Pony Express had to put up with during their jaunts across the prairies. Indian country and such.

Consider yerself fortunate for the padded seat, shocks and heated grips. :icon_mrgreen:
I see the green smile, but I stand behind my statement ��

willtill
07-30-2021, 08:03 PM
I see the green smile, but I stand behind my statement ��

This generation has it waaaaaay too easy. :301:

You just wait for the Great Reset. Thermonuclear explosions and all. We'll all be happy just to find a 5hp Briggs & Stratton minibike to ride.

F6Bster
07-30-2021, 08:51 PM
The lag in the cruise is an easy fix. On my F6B I was able to access the cable to adjust by just lifting up the plastic on the right side of the handlebar. A little tight to access, but not bad.

The adjuster is located straight down the right side of the ignition key about 5 inches or so. You have to peel back the right plastic guard under the ignition to get to it. It helps to have a second person to hold the plastic back and shine a trouble light on the adjuster. It looks just like the throttle adjuster above the throttle, a long nut to adjust and a small nut to lock the long nut. Just adjust the long nut away from the short nut to reduce the lag. If you adjust the long nut as far as it will go, the bike will actually increase speed by 2 mph when you hit the set button. And it doesn't do it slowly either, the bike will jump. So don't go that far.

Additional info. The lock nut is a 10MM and the long nut is an 8MM. You may have to experiment to get the adjustment the way you want it. On my bike I backed the long nut away from the lock nut 4 full turns. Give yourself plenty of time to do this as you might have to test the setting a couple of times. The bike can be driven without putting the shelter back in place. Take it for a test ride, check the setting of the cruise control. Make further adjustments as required. Reassemble everything once you get it where you want it.

FarsideF6B
08-01-2021, 09:00 PM
I feel adopted. :o

Awww, 'welcome gang'

wjduke
08-03-2021, 03:34 AM
Just what I was looking for, thanks!

glengarrygr
08-07-2021, 01:06 AM
Awww, 'welcome gang'

Well...relocation time. Family is now in Alpharetta GA 1 week ahead of me. Cars were picked up today. I fly there Aug 11th. Just 2 bikes to ship. Waiting for "HaulBikes" to pick up the Breakout & F6B any day now. $1400 to ship both from Carson City NV to GA. Not bad. No...can't ride cross country. Got to save the time off for family.

rdbonds
08-07-2021, 09:10 PM
Safe travels.

SeaSteve
08-17-2021, 08:28 AM
The lag in the cruise is an easy fix. On my F6B I was able to access the cable to adjust by just lifting up the plastic on the right side of the handlebar. A little tight to access, but not bad...

I finally got around to it! F6Bsters post is the procedure I used. All I did was give the "long nut" or turnbuckle two full turns longer. Now I'm VERY happy with the slight delay in the cruise control.