PDA

View Full Version : Pain between shoulder blades

Eternalydamd
08-23-2021, 12:33 PM
Hello all, I have a 2015 Deluxe. I believe it is the stock seat with a stock back rest (driver) that I added a spacer in to move it a bit forward as I'm short (5'5" with 29" inseam). I got the bike just about 2 months ago and have already put about 4,400 miles on her over the weekends.

When I first got her I was riding with ridding shoes on with thin soles, I noticed a bit of pain between my shoulder blades but the more I ride the more it's hurting, for days on end. I purchased some boots with a little thicker soles so I can foot the bike easier. I purchased risers after seeing some suggestions in here for them, but it already had some installed.

I tried searching in the forum, but couldn't find anything specific to upper back pain/pain between the shoulder blades.

My question is has anyone else had this issue? If so how did you fix it? I'm only 38 years old, this is my third bike, and my favorite so far and I'd love to do some long distance trips, but if going to my local mountains makes me hurt so bad I can't sleep I may have to trade her in.

Thank you in advance.

Radical Taz
08-23-2021, 12:40 PM
I had the same issue and installed the Kuryaken Risers and no more pain

naga viper
08-23-2021, 02:41 PM
Sorry to your wallet, but heli bars will cure your pain. May take some time to find that SWEET spot but you will know when you find it. They are also super solid no more bouncing bars after hitting potholes.

Eternalydamd
08-23-2021, 04:04 PM
Sorry to your wallet, but heli bars will cure your pain. May take some time to find that SWEET spot but you will know when you find it. They are also super solid no more bouncing bars after hitting potholes.

Damn, those are a pretty penny, looks like I might be saving some money for a while.

Eternalydamd
08-23-2021, 04:50 PM

Also, I've never had the bouncing bars issue, there are risers already installed, maybe they cut this issue out?

tenxxx
08-23-2021, 09:23 PM
When I first got my 13B the bars were spread way too far apart for me.
I did get pain in my shoulder area sometimes. The risers stoped that.
I have a 650 Burgman that is a joy to ride, but it hurts my shoulders some.
The bars are too short and I have to bend forward a bit.
Going to try risers on that one if the hoses and wiring will reach.

DaWadd
08-24-2021, 08:15 AM
Are you too tense while riding maybe? Try relaxing and sitting straight up. I have a neck injury that haunts me but HeliBars worked for me. Very adjustable.

SeaSteve
08-24-2021, 09:15 AM
I get the same pain your describing and I'm 6'3". I was a swimmer in my younger years so I've got minor issues with my shoulders.

I add the ($30) BigBikeParts (https://wingstuff.com/products/1878-handlebar-riser-shims) risers which helped but I still get the pain. There is another more expensive set ($80) from MLB (https://wingstuff.com/products/2361-handlebar-risers-standard-or-tall-rider-version) that I've never tried. I don't think the more expensive MLBs, or the Kuryakyn, risers will change the angle that much and I haven't be willing to spend money ($900) for Helibars (https://wingstuff.com/products/35632-lst-horizon-helibars-for-gl1800-f6b).

Here's what I do...Obviously, the cruise control helps a lot. Being able to let the right arm hang or putting my right hand on my right hip usually relieves the pain. The other stretches' I do while on a long ride are: 1. Very deliberately turning my head 90 degrees to the left and right so It touches each shoulder. 2. Focusing on pushing my elbows are far down as possible. 3. Lastly, and this seems to be counter intuitive, "shrugging" my shoulders up high around around my head for a minute or so.

willtill
08-24-2021, 08:52 PM
Are you too tense while riding maybe? Try relaxing and sitting straight up. I have a neck injury that haunts me but HeliBars worked for me. Very adjustable.

I was going to suggest that as well to him DaWadd. It's a new bike for him, he may be unknowingly gripping the handlebars too tightly for long periods.

I normally get the pain between the shoulder blades myself in the late winter/early spring when I start riding often again. Pain seems to go away after a few months of riding; then I get pains elsewhere because of just plain old age.

maxrider
08-25-2021, 12:27 AM
So if the physical adjustment is not in your reach, and or not desired, you should at least try the more prudent inexpensive options offered here on the board, which just about cover all known remedies known to mankind.

All the posters above have touched on the known fixes from multiple years of experience, one I would suggest is to reevaluate your grip constantly, think and act like you are playing the piano, sit upright, relaxed, and just have your fingers on the handlebars, you won't crash, no worries there.

Now kinda let your arms flop a bit, like doing the chicken dance movement, this will assure you that you are going to relax that arm on purpose, do this exercise as much as you can to start.

Once you start feeling better, you will do this routine less, because you become a more relaxed rider.

You will get rid of that extra exertion on the bar.

I'm going to use some other suggestions for you from my LD pals with their inputs

For that between the shoulder blades pinch, try slouching. Well known as the 'Sport-Touring Slouch' among distance riders on bikes like the FJR and ST1100/1300. Others find this a symptom of the bar sweep or rise being off for them. Play with the ergos if you can.

It is somewhat dependent on-bike position. Roll your hips back, shoulders forward, and relax instead of sitting up straight. Doesn't really work on an ADV bike or full Sportbike since the natural seating positions are in opposite directions of the neutral Sport-touring body position. But works great on a F6B.

Good luck, practice it, and you will get results.

wjduke
08-25-2021, 04:21 AM
I get the same pain on longer rides. I shrug my shoulders as was suggested, move around as much as possible. I’m not in very good shape either, so that doesn’t help. Not over weight as much as just getting weak in my older age. I’m sure that’s part of it. My bike is still all stock as far as bars and add ons.

willtill
08-25-2021, 04:38 AM
I get the same pain on longer rides. I shrug my shoulders as was suggested, move around as much as possible. I’m not in very good shape either, so that doesn’t help. Not over weight as much as just getting weak in my older age. I’m sure that’s part of it. My bike is still all stock as far as bars and add ons.

Yea, tell me about it. :icon_redface: Seems when I hit 60 years old the downhill slide started. :icon_frown: Loss of muscle tone, beginning of arthritis in thumbs, ect, ect.

Getting old ain't fer sissies. :shhh:

billsim
08-25-2021, 07:15 AM
I had the same issue, sharp pain between the shoulder blades, but went with a set of "Grip Puppies" for under $20.00.
I think the small diameter OEM grips were causing me to grip too tightly.
As soon as I added these I noticed the pain went away.

Had planned on a set of risers but never had to go that far.

SeaSteve
08-25-2021, 08:26 AM
I had the same issue, sharp pain between the shoulder blades, but went with a set of "Grip Puppies" for under $20.00. I think the small diameter OEM grips were causing me to grip too tightly. As soon as I added these I noticed the pain went away.

I hadn't considered the grip size being a possible cause. :) or at least making me grip tighter.

All the posters above have touched on the known fixes from multiple years of experience, one I would suggest is to reevaluate your grip constantly, think and act like you are playing the piano, sit upright, relaxed, and just have your fingers on the handlebars, you won't crash, no worries there.

This is a GREAT description of what I meant when I posted, "Focusing on pushing my elbows are far down as possible."

Since we're here I'll add that, I don't get any "aches or pains" anywhere else and I did a 1500 mile Iron Butt on the stock seat. The bikes too perfect for that.

stevenolts
08-25-2021, 10:47 AM
I am 5' 8'' with 29 inseam

I added the Mustang touring fastback seat
1" lower

MLB risers

I have no pain

Stevenolts

stevenolts
08-25-2021, 10:48 AM
I bought the better forks which are 1" lower but I have not installed them yet.
I have had them for 3 years. I need to install them.

Stevenolts

stevenolts
08-25-2021, 10:49 AM
My problem is how wide the F6B seat is even with the Mustang 1" lower and narrower seat.

stevenolts

Eternalydamd
08-25-2021, 06:52 PM
So if the physical adjustment is not in your reach, and or not desired, you should at least try the more prudent inexpensive options offered here on the board, which just about cover all known remedies known to mankind.

Now kinda let your arms flop a bit, like doing the chicken dance movement, this will assure you that you are going to relax that arm on purpose, do this exercise as much as you can to start.

Once you start feeling better, you will do this routine less, because you become a more relaxed rider.

I'm going to use some other suggestions for you from my LD pals with their inputs

For that between the shoulder blades pinch, try slouching. Well known as the 'Sport-Touring Slouch' among distance riders on bikes like the FJR and ST1100/1300. Others find this a symptom of the bar sweep or rise being off for them. Play with the ergos if you can.

It is somewhat dependent on-bike position. Roll your hips back, shoulders forward, and relax instead of sitting up straight. Doesn't really work on an ADV bike or full Sportbike since the natural seating positions are in opposite directions of the neutral Sport-touring body position. But works great on a F6B.

Thank you, yeah, there are a lot of great ideas here and from others.

I'll try these things first, the grips are actually wide as hell, probably over double diameter than stock, I'm thinking the previous owner installed there, I thought it was just the grip warmers before.

I do have a problem with relaxing in my all day every day life. I'll give that "chicken movement" a try. Although I've put well over 100k miles on bikes in the last 5 years and this is the only one I've had this particular issue with.

tenxxx
08-25-2021, 07:50 PM
One thing that may not have anything to do with the sitting position is the nasty leg cramp
I get in the back of my thy when I swing my leg over the seat to get off the bike.
I had to get back on the bike fast to have somewhere to sit or I was going down.
I do get leg cramps early on in the season. But not many since I got the B.

willtill
08-25-2021, 08:49 PM
One thing that may not have anything to do with the sitting position is the nasty leg cramp
I get in the back of my thy when I swing my leg over the seat to get off the bike.
I had to get back on the bike fast to have somewhere to sit or I was going down.
I do get leg cramps early on in the season. But not many since I got the B.

I've gotten that same cramp that you're speaking of. But I get it "sometimes" when I'm mounting the bike, not when dismounting. Takes several moments for it to dissipate.

stevenolts
08-26-2021, 07:55 AM
The cramps are probably because the bike and seat are so wide.
Stevenols

SeaSteve
08-26-2021, 08:29 AM
Highway pegs and an Ultimate King Seat with a backrest fixed any other cramps or pains I had.

Eternalydamd
09-14-2021, 02:33 PM

I tried these suggestions on multiple 400+ mile days over a 4 day ride, happy to say no pain! Thank you so much!