PDA

View Full Version : Saddle Sore 1000

Ewreck
09-17-2021, 07:33 AM
Finally did it on 9/10. Northern CO to Southern CA. Last part was a grind as it was over 105 for the last 300 miles. Rode approximately 1,112 miles in a bit under 15 hours. Only need to do that once. The B performed flawlessly as expected.

maxrider
09-17-2021, 07:39 AM
Congrats on your accomplishment, you joined the club of "worlds toughest riders" allright.

Yup my B never left any doubt she would perform, taking her on a 50CC in 3 weeks.

Eternalydamd
09-17-2021, 11:14 AM
Finally did it on 9/10. Northern CO to Southern CA. Last part was a grind as it was over 105 for the last 300 miles. Rode approximately 1,112 miles in a bit under 15 hours. Only need to do that once. The B performed flawlessly as expected.

Nice! How did you prepare for it? I've been thinking about doing one, although I don't think I'm ready for super slabbing it for that long, I'd usually prefer doing 300-400 miles on back roads than any super slabs

Ewreck
09-17-2021, 02:27 PM
I ride regularly and before I bought the B done rides of 750 miles+ on my Street Glide which is a rattle trap compared to this bike. I’ve driven the route many times so very familiar with the roads and where I’d be stopping. The biggest deal was going from 39 in Vail to 109 in Vegas. I should of consumed double the amount of water as I was dehydrated after. I was just up the road from you in Manhattan Beach.

maxrider
09-17-2021, 05:25 PM
Eternalydamd no secret sauce here, my buddy and I just take it into approx 150 Mile stretches, get off getting some gas, bio break, record the receipts, take a picture, and move on.

The B makes it so easy to do 1500 in 24, we both have aftermarket seats(RDL, Legendary), Heli bars, madstads,and DD and current maintenance.

Looks like next week we are doing the 2500 mile San Diego CA to Jacksonville Fl, let you know how it went, knowing the B it is going to be flawless.

Eternalydamd
09-20-2021, 05:34 PM
Eternalydamd no secret sauce here, my buddy and I just take it into approx 150 Mile stretches, get off getting some gas, bio break, record the receipts, take a picture, and move on.

The B makes it so easy to do 1500 in 24, we both have aftermarket seats(RDL, Legendary), Heli bars, madstads,and DD and current maintenance.

Looks like next week we are doing the 2500 mile San Diego CA to Jacksonville Fl, let you know how it went, knowing the B it is going to be flawless.

Sounds good, can't wait to hear about it, I'll probably need to invest in a new seat at some point, however all the longer rides I've been on so far (6-7 hours on the bike in a day) haven't been too bad after taking all your guy's advice on position and what not.

willtill
09-20-2021, 06:27 PM
Yep. Gotta do the Praying Mantis when riding the "B" for long periods

https://i.postimg.cc/zDcrm0zR/Capture.jpg

I want to do a Saddle Sore 1000 too. Maybe this fall. I have lots of free time now. Just gotta pick a destination.

maxrider
09-20-2021, 07:32 PM
Lol Praying Mantis, yea Willtill ride to Kansas City that's about 1000 miler, I ride up from Corona that's about 1600, we meet for a beer, I buy.

Better yet, don't procrastinate, meet me up in Conway AR next week Tuesday in the afternoon for a beer, leave Monday and collect a beer in Conway :).

SeaSteve
09-21-2021, 09:34 AM
Cruise Control!! Better than sliced bread!! To be able to let go for a few seconds and do a quick left (...re-grab the bars...) then right torso twist and stretch is WONDERFUL. In honor of Willtill's post I'll call it a "Seated" Praying Mantis.

Congratulations on joining the club Ewreck!

willtill
09-28-2021, 08:11 PM
Well I am all loaded up and ready to go. I am leaving here from a gas station nearby NLT 0300 hours.

As long as it's not raining, I shall execute. Weather is looking A-Okay.

Heading to Knoxville, Tennessee and back. Google maps says it's 539 miles via I70 to I81 south. So that will put me over a thousand miles when I return. May have to ride around BWI when I get back, to be ABSOLUTELY sure.

May post here in this thread just before I leave with a pic. Depending how groggy I am.

JackB
09-29-2021, 06:45 AM
Good luck
Be safe

SeaSteve
09-29-2021, 08:15 AM
Hope you have a safe trip and enjoy the ride.

willtill
09-30-2021, 09:02 AM
...but MAN am I WIPED out (mentally and physically). Still am recovering this morning.

I was going to have my wife take a pic but she was too groggy at 2am yesterday, so I just jumped on the bike and headed to the gas station. Starting odometer/receipt:

https://i.postimg.cc/JzjFLPTQ/IMG-0570.jpg

I wanted to ride as fast as I could to get as much daylight later for the return ride back. Made good time all of the way into Knoxville. Once I was in Knoxville, I just went to the closest gas station I saw, filled up and got a receipt, and immediately headed back:

https://i.postimg.cc/9Q26z6wk/IMG-0578.jpg

Lot's of traffic into Knoxville of course and heading back on US 40 east but wasn't bad. I 81 north of course was getting jammed up with truckers, most were polite, a couple tried to kill me as usual. But that's expected.

Once I got past Harrisonburg it started to get dark and my mental and physical sharpness and abilities started to deteriorate. I was pulling off the interstate a little more often, to drink Gaterade in my back cooler I strapped down, and eat a handful of fruit chews. Also to stretch and walk around for a couple of minutes; the pain that always develops between my shoulder blades was raging. Was eating G.I. Candy but it wasn't helping much. No choice but to push on.

Coming into Martinsburg my mental sharpness and motorcycle handling abilities was really starting to concern me. I had slowed down a little more while running the interstate, but the truckers were really beating me up with the pressure waves from their rigs; which were hitting me as they passed. Even though the F6B is a heavy bike, it seemed that each truck passing me was having a greater instability effect with the motorcycle.

Not only that, it was dark and deer at night really wig me out. So I was also expecting them to materialize out of nowhere on the darkened stretches of the highway, that was mentally draining as well.

I finally crested South Mountain as I was approaching Frederick, and I stopped in Fredneck for my first real meal; a Snickers candy bar at Sheetz. That gave me energy for the home stretch into the Arundel Mills area. Closed the trip for the final documentation for the time stamp and odometer:

https://i.postimg.cc/zvndrf7G/IMG-0583.jpg

But I got home safe and sound, no negative incidents. Even had enough energy to unpack and put the bike in the shed to bed (a good soldier always takes care of his horse before he tends to himself). Going to give the bike a good wash today and change the oil. She deserves it:

https://i.postimg.cc/x8DkWvtB/IMG-0584.jpg

In closing, I don't think I'm going to do something like this on a regular basis. It sort of kicked my butt. I have however, BT/DT

rdbonds
09-30-2021, 03:03 PM
Glad you made it back safely sir.

Ewreck
09-30-2021, 04:46 PM
Ya, one time is enough for me. I also learned the trip meter only goes to 999. Glad you had a good ride.

SeaSteve
10-01-2021, 08:41 AM
NOPE!!!...I don't believe You!!! That last picture of the bike is to clean after a 1000+ miles of riding!!! :rolleyes:

Congratulations! Glad you made it back safe and welcome to the club.

willtill
10-01-2021, 08:47 AM
NOPE!!!...I don't believe You!!! That last picture of the bike is to clean after a 1000+ miles of riding!!! :rolleyes:

Congratulations! Glad you made it back safe and welcome to the club.

Ha! Actually I took a pic of the bike the very next morning, expressly for showing the splattering. That Madstadt windshield and frontal/headlight areas were indeed splattered. The pic for some reason does not show it. Which was disappointing.

Here be a closeup:

https://i.postimg.cc/MT9BZkc2/Capture.jpg

Ewreck
10-01-2021, 12:57 PM
My bike wasn’t horribly dirty but I did go through a couple storms and it washed a few of the bugs off. Getting off topic…I left my gas cap on a pump in Utah and I’m wondering if anyone knows of a universal cap that will fit. 40 bucks for a cap seems steep.