PDA

View Full Version : Summer Trip to the UP

blackmetoc
02-14-2022, 10:16 PM
So, the past couple of years, I've asked the group here about some possible riding and visiting ideas as I planned my trips. I think this summer, near the beginning of July, I am going to ride up into the UP of Michigan, stay up there a week, or so, then work my way back through WV/KY/TN. Do any of you have any great places you liked in the UP?

JackB
02-15-2022, 08:14 AM
There is a bakery on the western part of the Copper Harbor peninsula ran by some Christian Brothers they got the best cookies in the world.
All the roads are great and Lake Superior has some great views.
But a week up there sounds like too much time.

six2go
02-15-2022, 10:29 AM
I agree with JackB that a week in the UP is a bit much. there are things to see, Lake of the Clouds in the Porcupine Mts., Copper Harbor is a nice trip to the "top of the state", I've never traveled it but I hear that road H58 is a nice ride. You can visit the Soo Locks. As said, there are things to see & do, but not enough to warrant a week(IMHO). Coming back South across the "Mighty Mac" is an adventure in itself.

blackmetoc
02-15-2022, 06:31 PM
There is a bakery on the western part of the Copper Harbor peninsula ran by some Christian Brothers they got the best cookies in the world.
All the roads are great and Lake Superior has some great views.
But a week up there sounds like too much time.

Could be too long. I am just putting out feelers and research now. I have family in SE Michigan, so I'll stop by and see them. I will check out the bakery. Fat boy loves to eat!

JackB
02-15-2022, 08:14 PM
Could be too long. I am just putting out feelers and research now. I have family in SE Michigan, so I'll stop by and see them. I will check out the bakery. Fat boy loves to eat!
Here’s the bakery “The Jampot”
https://www.google.com/search?q=bakery%20in%20Copper%20Harbor&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari&tbs=lf:1,lf_ui:9&tbm=lcl&sxsrf=APq-WBudWGLQpgc1FCEL4YHfHlURh4hjjA:1644973957137&rflfq=1&num=10&rldimm=6067704587247038063&lqi=ChdiYWtlcnkgaW4gQ29wcGVyIEhhcmJvckiajJv0s4-AgAhaJxAAGAAYAhgDIhdiYWtlcnkgaW4gY29wcGVyIGhhcmJvc ioECAMQAJIBBmJha2VyeaoBGgoKL20vMDJ3djZ0aBABKgoiBmJ ha2VyeSgA&phdesc=P_tMgC3mMxQ&ved=2ahUKEwiD14TDhYP2AhUBLTQIHTJXAMoQvS56BAgCEF8&rlst=f#rlfi=hd:;si:6067704587247038063,l,ChdiYWtlc nkgaW4gQ29wcGVyIEhhcmJvckiajJv0s4-AgAhaJxAAGAAYAhgDIhdiYWtlcnkgaW4gY29wcGVyIGhhcmJvc ioECAMQAJIBBmJha2VyeaoBGgoKL20vMDJ3djZ0aBABKgoiBmJ ha2VyeSgA,y,P_tMgC3mMxQ;mv:%5B%5B47.4732694,-87.8700648%5D,%5B47.4257099,-88.2573465%5D%5D;tbs:lrf:!1m4!1u3!2m2!3m1!1e1!1m4! 1u2!2m2!2m1!1e1!1m4!1u16!2m2!16m1!1e1!1m4!1u16!2m2 !16m1!1e2!1m4!1u22!2m2!21m1!1e1!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e16!2 m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:9

blackmetoc
02-15-2022, 09:59 PM
Awesome! Thanks!

SimonTemplar
02-17-2022, 03:33 AM
......Coming back South across the "Mighty Mac" is an adventure in itself.

I can second this. (I used to live on the UP about 300 years ago) Actually....either direction on the Bridge can be an adventure. Most especially on a bike as much of the road surface is of the see-through grating variety that can be difficult for some people to navigate on two wheels. Weather can be an issue as well. However, as you're planning a summer crossing, you should be OK. If you should cross on a blustery day (and there are often many on the Great Lakes).....go SLOOOW.

Not sure that I'd go along with a week being too much. It depends upon why you're there. If you're looking for night life (other than the wildlife sort) or large cities or towns.....then yes, you'll be disappointed and bored. However, if you're seeking to get away from people and camp in the woods, do some fishing, etc.....then you may never want to leave. (I didn't)

If you want some touristy sorts of things that include other people...Mackinaw City is worth the time (still no nightlife though....more of an old-school resort) If you've seen the Christopher Reeve/Jane Seymour movie 'Somewhere In Time', it was filmed there. (or much of it anyway)

As with all things...the UP is solely what you make of it. It's one of the last unspoiled areas left in this country. And that won't last much longer. 'Leave nothing but footprints and take nothing but pictures.'

.....sT

TheWalrus
02-17-2022, 03:43 PM
I did the Mackinaw last June. Of course the right lane was under construction, apparently it always is under construction. Be sure to take a look down through the grate as you travel along! the grate 'disappears' at 45mph. :cool:

Due to road construction I wasn't able to do the Tunnel of Trees, but I hear it is not to be missed.

tatloon
02-18-2022, 11:53 AM
The tunnel of trees is definitely not to be missed. great ride through it.

blackmetoc
02-18-2022, 07:31 PM
Simon Templar, I am more interested in the nature and photography opportunities. Just saw some of the pics up near Picture Rock Lake Shore and Miners Castle. I will mostly camp up there (it is cheaper than hotels). It looks gorgeous up there. Thanks for the input, Senior!

SimonTemplar
02-21-2022, 03:08 AM
Simon Templar, I am more interested in the nature and photography opportunities.....

You'll find lots of this if you look for it....

.....sT

blackmetoc
02-21-2022, 04:25 PM
You'll find lots of this if you look for it....

.....sT

They did not show up. I want to tour the waterfalls, for sure!

SimonTemplar
02-22-2022, 05:22 PM
They did not show up. I want to tour the waterfalls, for sure!

Should be there now. If not....dont know what to tell you. I always have trouble with getting pics to post on here.

If you want UP waterfalls....check out the Tahquamenon Falls State Park. North shore, west of the Soo.

....sT

Python
03-05-2022, 09:03 AM
Lakenenland sculptor park off m28 is nice and if you go to Munising web cams they have a map of that area lot of water falls the pictured rock cruise is a good way to see the land scape, the morning cruise has the better light on the rocks and minerals pop for photos. The Munising city campground on the lake or you have bay furnace campground in that area. The adams trail east of Munising to grand marais has several stops make sure you go to the log slide. I’ve been going to that area forever. When you get closer to going pm me as I’m in the process of clearing land off m58 east of Munising and a camp between Christmas and Al train that you can walk back to the lake with great views. Will try to post pictures

blackmetoc
03-11-2022, 05:48 PM
Should be there now. If not....dont know what to tell you. I always have trouble with getting pics to post on here.

If you want UP waterfalls....check out the Tahquamenon Falls State Park. North shore, west of the Soo.

....sT

I will! Thanks!

blackmetoc
03-11-2022, 05:49 PM
Lakenenland sculptor park off m28 is nice and if you go to Munising web cams they have a map of that area lot of water falls the pictured rock cruise is a good way to see the land scape, the morning cruise has the better light on the rocks and minerals pop for photos. The Munising city campground on the lake or you have bay furnace campground in that area. The adams trail east of Munising to grand marais has several stops make sure you go to the log slide. I’ve been going to that area forever. When you get closer to going pm me as I’m in the process of clearing land off m58 east of Munising and a camp between Christmas and Al train that you can walk back to the lake with great views. Will try to post pictures

Thanks Python, will do! Provided the gas is not so expensive I have to forego my trip this year. We shall see.