PDA

View Full Version : Valve cover chrome strip

FLsixB
03-14-2022, 08:36 PM
I've been toying with the idea of changing the accent strip on a 13 F6B from chrome to red. I'm guessing I could paint them but was wondering if anyone has tried a wrap on those trim pieces? Like the stuff that's used for advertising on vehicles. A wrap is only a glorified sticker and I don't know if the trim piece would get too hot for the wrap to stay put. Has anyone gone this route and if so what was the result?

SeaSteve
03-15-2022, 08:46 AM
I change to red by purchasing a used set from a 2015 owner here on this forum. Apparently some "25th Anniversary Edition" came with red versions.

Since these plastic strips only attach with double stick tape I'd bet you could try a wrap because it doesn't get hot enough to melt the glue on the tape. Plati Dip (https://plastidip.com/our-products/plasti-dip/) might be an inexpensive way to go also.

I would say the change to red isn't that noticeable and the bike doesn't run any faster. :D

FLsixB
03-15-2022, 04:08 PM
I thought they are held on by the two bolts that run through the strip.

Plasti Dip could be a solution too. I'll look into it.

You are right that it won't be that noticeable, and that's what I'm looking for.

SeaSteve
03-16-2022, 09:42 AM
Yeah, I removed the little rubber plugs then "allen" wrenched the two bolts out before I realized the plastic strips holes are larger and the whole strip is taped on.

FLsixB
03-16-2022, 09:00 PM
Thanks SeaSteve, that's good info. I haven't pulled them off yet. I'll find out soon.

FarsideF6B
03-17-2022, 12:07 PM
Thanks SeaSteve, that's good info. I haven't pulled them off yet. I'll find out soon.

Hmmm, I'd be curious, I thought about blacking mine out. :rolleyes:

SeaSteve
03-18-2022, 08:12 AM
I'd start by trying Pasti Dip. It's pretty durable but can be "somewhat" easily removed if you don't like it.

valkmc
03-22-2022, 06:01 AM

I bought a set from a board member for $25. I like the look. I would have tried Plasti dip if I could not find a set of these. I used plasti dip to color the bolts black.

FLsixB
03-22-2022, 12:42 PM
Valkmc that's the look I'm going for. Thanks for the pic.