PDA

View Full Version : Stutters when down shifting to break

Eternalydamd
04-12-2022, 01:44 PM
I've noticed when I'm in third gear and let of the clutch it stutters sometimes, doesn't do it all the time, just some times. Has anyone else had this issue?

BIGLRY
04-12-2022, 01:55 PM
I've noticed when I'm in third gear and let of the clutch it stutters sometimes, doesn't do it all the time, just some times. Has anyone else had this issue?
Can you describe the "stutters" is it the clutch you feel or is it the engine RPM... going up to third gear or when you down shift to third? A little more info would be a big help in diagnosing the issue.

Eternalydamd
04-12-2022, 03:06 PM
Can you describe the "stutters" is it the clutch you feel or is it the engine RPM... going up to third gear or when you down shift to third? A little more info would be a big help in diagnosing the issue.

I've only noticed when going down into third, and it's the engine's RPM

Willl
04-12-2022, 03:28 PM
What year bike?
How many miles?

Eternalydamd
04-12-2022, 05:28 PM
What year bike?
How many miles?

2015 Deluxe, 28,000 miles

rdbonds
04-12-2022, 08:05 PM
Hmm. Do you mean like the engine is misfiring?

Or perhaps like it's skittering the rear tire? I can imagine that a mismatched rev on a downshift could skid a tire a bit?

Eternalydamd
04-13-2022, 02:11 PM
Hmm. Do you mean like the engine is misfiring?

Or perhaps like it's skittering the rear tire? I can imagine that a mismatched rev on a downshift could skid a tire a bit?

It might be a miss fire, the engine cuts down to super low RPMs then back up and the entire bike stutters, has only happened a couple times, and they were hundreds of miles apart.

rdbonds
04-13-2022, 07:15 PM
This is a new one (to me). There are many reports of our bikes "stumbling" a tad when cold, and taking off in 1st gear, but I don't recall hearing anyone report this phenomenon when warm and in 3rd.

Any info you can share about it's service history? Last plug change, etc?

SeaSteve
04-14-2022, 09:26 AM
As I read it, the OP is saying the problem is when he "Engine Brakes" with the transmission in 3rd gear. Wouldn't an ignition problem, like fouled plugs or bad wires, show up when you're accelerating??? I would think it's an ECM or sensor problem.

Eternalydamd
04-14-2022, 11:36 AM
This is a new one (to me). There are many reports of our bikes "stumbling" a tad when cold, and taking off in 1st gear, but I don't recall hearing anyone report this phenomenon when warm and in 3rd.

Any info you can share about it's service history? Last plug change, etc?

Last full service (spark plugs, all fluids, air filter...) was about 8,000 miles ago (getting oil and final drive oil replaced today as well).

Eternalydamd
04-14-2022, 11:38 AM
As I read it, the OP is saying the problem is when he "Engine Brakes" with the transmission in 3rd gear. Wouldn't an ignition problem, like fouled plugs or bad wires, show up when you're accelerating??? I would think it's an ECM or sensor problem.

That's exactly what I was trying to explain, it hasn't happened when cold, or from a take off. I even tried to recreate the issue yesterday by down shifting into third and coasting like that many times and it wouldn't do it again.

rdbonds
04-14-2022, 02:27 PM
Interesting..and only in 3rd?

Eternalydamd
04-14-2022, 04:06 PM
Interesting..and only in 3rd?

Yep, it's weird.

Eternalydamd
04-15-2022, 02:52 PM
I've been trying my best to recreate the issue, took most of yesterday off work, did an oil change and final drive oil change, then road a good 100+ miles constantly trying to get it to do it again. It will not, I'll chock this one up to the motorcycle gremlins.

willtill
04-15-2022, 03:31 PM
I've been trying my best to recreate the issue, took most of yesterday off work, did an oil change and final drive oil change, then road a good 100+ miles constantly trying to get it to do it again. It will not, I'll chock this one up to the motorcycle gremlins.

I was hesitant to post this; I was thinking that it was your aged oil and your clutch plates were sticking a bit, when you were decelerating/downshifting.

Eternalydamd
04-15-2022, 04:27 PM
I was hesitant to post this; I was thinking that it was your aged oil and your clutch plates were sticking a bit, when you were decelerating/downshifting.

It might have been that, oil was about 7k miles old, and those had been hard miles.

maxrider
04-15-2022, 07:41 PM
Oil with 7000 miles is most likely just as good, done some Blackstone lab samples in the past with 10K miles, and bikes were driving hard and had excellent results.

The phobia most have(including me) is that for the sake of erring on the potential wrong side, and ease of operation, every 5K number, I change it.

Knowing that if I failed to replace at 5K I have plenty miles of reserve miles left :)

But good that you have resolved the potential gremlin.

SeaSteve
04-20-2022, 08:33 AM
The phobia most have(including me) is that for the sake of erring on the potential wrong side, and ease of operation, every 5K number, I change it. Knowing that if I failed to replace at 5K I have plenty miles of reserve miles left :)

Not to hijack the thread...but...I change oil at 5000 just because it's easy to track on the odometer. Now, for a real hijack, what KIND of oil is best to "prevent" this type of problem. :rolleyes:

Glad it seems fixed.

maxrider
04-24-2022, 02:11 AM
I just do not believe it is the oil, otherwise, it would be most likely a consistent problem, and I do not think the oil can differentiate between gears.

willtill
04-24-2022, 07:53 AM
It might have been that, oil was about 7k miles old, and those had been hard miles.

Have you put the bike through its paces since the oil change? Any evidence of stuttering during downshifting at the present?

Eternalydamd
04-26-2022, 12:46 PM
Have you put the bike through its paces since the oil change? Any evidence of stuttering during downshifting at the present?

I've done close to 800 miles since the oil change a couple weeks ago, I've tried to get it to stutter since then and no dice. Looks like what ever the issue was it's gone now.

willtill
04-26-2022, 04:33 PM
I've done close to 800 miles since the oil change a couple weeks ago, I've tried to get it to stutter since then and no dice. Looks like what ever the issue was it's gone now.

Had to be sticky clutch plates. The new oil renewed them.