PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Dash Cam

KeyWasted
04-25-2022, 12:09 AM
I was inspired by another F6B rider, Tax-free, to install one of these cameras on my bike. I changed the install a bit and it came out nicely I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQIQiqabQAA

willtill
04-25-2022, 04:52 AM
Good video, Great placement of the front camera.

What kind of fork tube protectors are those that you have installed? Do they work well? Any problem with moisture getting trapped and corroding the tubes?

https://i.postimg.cc/Vv3K43jh/Capture.jpg

gadgeteer
04-25-2022, 07:10 AM
Installed my cameras a couple of years ago on my '15. I mounted the front one in the same place you did. Ouch! After a few rides I noticed a small 'tick' on the front fender. A few more rides and it was obvious that my front camera was hitting the top of my fender. Crap! Was a perfect location but not so good for the fender. Had to move it under left fairing. Works well. Wide angle still gets everything.

maxrider
04-25-2022, 07:19 AM
Have mounted the front camera on the same location for the past few years as in the video as well the rear, absolutely no issues, confused as to how it would hit the fender, there is a lot of distance there between the camera and fender, measured 2+ inches clearance, you got that much travel while riding?

taxfree4
04-25-2022, 07:56 AM
Great video, nice, clean install. I had my original front camera on the 2013 mounted there also but , like gadgeteer, probably because of the potholes here in NYC, the camera left gouges in the top of the fender, in Florida, as I go down to Boynton Beach every 2 months, you don't have that problem. Also, the reason why I elevated the rear camera is when I was rear ended I had the back camera in about the same place, except centered and a little higher, and the 1st impact knocked it off and it didn't record the 2nd impact, we had an eyewitness for the second car's impact, as GEICO was claiming only one hit so they only had to pay once, but they paid twice.

SeaSteve
04-25-2022, 09:25 AM
I just posted this on the VTXOA forum...

I "generally" did the same thing with an INNOVV system (https://www.innovv.com/innovv-k2). I did install the front camera over to left side. I wanted to make sure the front fender couldn't hit the camera if the front springs bottomed out.

KeyWasted
04-25-2022, 10:14 AM
Good video, Great placement of the front camera.

What kind of fork tube protectors are those that you have installed? Do they work well? Any problem with moisture getting trapped and corroding the tubes?

https://i.postimg.cc/Vv3K43jh/Capture.jpg

Thank you. Search for Neoprene Fork Guards on Amazon. They’re washable. Forks look like new.

KeyWasted
04-25-2022, 10:17 AM
Just measured and I have 2.5” between camera and fender. The bike has 4.8” of fork travel but I don’t know how much of that is already under compression from the weight of the bike and how much more it’s gonna compress when I get on it. We don’t have the potholes other areas have, especially in the Keys, so I’m doing some testing before I move it. If it’s close, I think I’ll rely on others' experience with my set up and err on the side of caution.

maxrider
04-25-2022, 01:00 PM
Yup I might be wrong since we don't have that many potholes and shitty roads here in CA, although I have pretty much traveled most states, but mostly the super slabs, and did not have had that issue(yet?)

KeyWasted
04-25-2022, 03:15 PM
Got on the bike, squeezed the front brake and rocked it to compress the forks and the camera came within 1/2” of the top of the fender. Moved the camera to the side. Thank you.

SeaSteve
04-26-2022, 08:51 AM
Got on the bike, squeezed the front brake and rocked it to compress the forks and the camera came within 1/2” of the top of the fender. Moved the camera to the side. Thank you.
SEE...I TOLD YOU!!! At least twice yesterday. :rolleyes:

Someone at one of the other forums commented about a ding on the fender from the camera.

IMHO I just want a view from the front and back to catch the vehicle that ran me of the road, or worse. I ride so much by myself I want as much "legal evidence" as I can get and with the wide angle view offsetting the camera will still work.

KeyWasted
04-26-2022, 11:05 AM
SEE...I TOLD YOU!!! At least twice yesterday. :rolleyes:

Someone at one of the other forums commented about a ding on the fender from the camera.

IMHO I just want a view from the front and back to catch the vehicle that ran me of the road, or worse. I ride so much by myself I want as much "legal evidence" as I can get and with the wide angle view offsetting the camera will still work.

Did my wife tell you to write that?

You were correct and I appreciate the heads up!

maxrider
04-28-2022, 06:16 PM
Okay explain this, there are three of us, who have mounted as described where it would hit the fender, we are unable to get it to hit the fender, fully bottomed out there is 1/2"+ space left, we have been using this setup for several years, and have no damage.

Is it because we use progressive monotubes, fork braces, all balls bearings, and Heli bars?

Those are the only front-end mods on all three bikes.

Just curious, and yes combined those 3 bikes have 140K miles + of riding throughout the USA.

KeyWasted
04-28-2022, 06:35 PM
Okay explain this, there are three of us, who have mounted as described where it would hit the fender, we are unable to get it to hit the fender, fully bottomed out there is 1/2"+ space left, we have been using this setup for several years, and have no damage.

Is it because we use progressive monotubes, fork braces, all balls bearings, and Heli bars?

Those are the only front-end mods on all three bikes.

Just curious, and yes combined those 3 bikes have 140K miles + of riding throughout the USA.

Could be those mods, I don’t know. I have fork braces only. My concern was that just sitting on a stationary bike and flexing the forks, my son measured and took video of the camera coming within 1/2” of the fender. I’m fairly certain that when traveling in other states with more potholes than mine, and me not knowing where they are, I will bottom out the forks even more and ding the fender.

maxrider
04-28-2022, 10:22 PM
I should add to my post, that myself and my friends have forced the fork down, to where you were able to hear it bottom out, and no-hit, 1/2+ space left.

So maybe our combos are the good prescription for having it not hit the fender.

KeyWasted
05-02-2022, 02:04 PM
Updated video showing where I relocated the screen. I also wired it to activate a “Parking” feature that begins recording if the bike is jolted while parked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2zat3Deq3c

willtill
05-02-2022, 06:30 PM
I should add to my post, that myself and my friends have forced the fork down, to where you were able to hear it bottom out, and no-hit, 1/2+ space left.

So maybe our combos are the good prescription for having it not hit the fender.

Or you are not fat.

Fat = unsprung weight

maxrider
05-02-2022, 06:44 PM
Yeah, I guess that is one way to look at it.

But considering that multiple movements to compress the front forks while holding the front brakes and 235 bodyweight leaning into it, to the point that you can hear the metallic clank from the front fork, would indicate to me that the upper limits of compression have been achieved.

Just happy that my setup works for me as is, without having to relocate, and glad it works out for the others who did the relocation.

willtill
05-02-2022, 06:48 PM
Yeah, I guess that is one way to look at it.

But considering that multiple movements to compress the front forks while holding the front brakes and 235 bodyweight leaning into it, to the point that you can hear the metallic clank from the front fork, would indicate to me that the upper limits of compression have been achieved.

Just happy that my setup works for me as is, without having to relocate, and glad it works out for the others who did the relocation.

Sounds like you need a visit to Traxxion. https://traxxion.com/goldwing/

I did such visit several years ago and have never bottomed out since

maxrider
05-02-2022, 06:51 PM
This is what I got, after clicking on your link. Oops, something went wrong.

https://studio.youtube.com/video/T2zat3Deq3c/edit

tenxxx
05-02-2022, 06:51 PM
I haven't noticed any bottoming since I installed the mono shocks. The pot holes around NE Ohio are the worst.

maxrider
05-02-2022, 06:53 PM
Will why would I visit Traxxion, I do not have a problem with bottoming out, you must have misread the posts.

It seems that by not having a stiffer front suspension, the bottoming out effect is more pronounced for the folks with OEM forks, hence the issue of hitting the fender.

KeyWasted
05-02-2022, 10:14 PM
This is what I got, after clicking on your link. Oops, something went wrong.

https://studio.youtube.com/video/T2zat3Deq3c/edit

Here’s the correct link. Thanks for pointing it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2zat3Deq3c

maxrider
05-02-2022, 10:31 PM
Yup you have done exactly what we have done with the placement of camera wires, I changed the viewer location to the top of the bag, to make more room for luggage, good job.

Tip:
Potentially get the biggest sd card for it, lesser override, and carry the OEM card as a spare, to insert after a serious event, if you are able to retrieve and swap it out, to prevent the SD which recorded the event from being accidently being over written, the manual states it will protect, just don't hold your breath, and ask TaxFree4, you won't want to miss it.

F6Dave
05-03-2022, 09:00 PM
And use high endurance SD cards. They handle far more write cycles. Cards fail after a finite number of overwrites.