PDA

View Full Version : How many F6B owners are racing fans?

Lcsix
05-26-2022, 04:47 PM
Just curious if any of us follow motorcycle racing? I'm a big fan of roadracing, Motoamerica,Moto GP mostly. I keep my eye on WSBK, AFT also. Since this is my first Honda street bike I'm more interested in guys on Honda's then ever before.

F6Dave
05-26-2022, 07:04 PM
I follow F1 and Indycar, and watch some Moto GP races. I've thought about riding to Austin for the Moto GP there -- maybe next year. There isn't much around here to see in person, except at High Plains Raceway, about an hour away, where the MRA runs a few times a year. It's a nice track, 2.55 miles with 13 turns and 300' in elevation change. I was there for an MRA event a few weeks ago. The price is right: since COVID they've been waiving admission charges.

tenxxx
05-26-2022, 09:19 PM
I quit watching nascar when they started using the term "play offs". IT AINT FOOTBALL or BASEBALL!
Too much politics. You do something within the rules, to give you an edge, they make a new rule and kill it.
God forbid anyone has an edge. Why even keep score?
Just give everybody a trophy, and ice cream.
But Duking it out after,,,, Thats racing.

Landshark
05-26-2022, 09:41 PM
Love all form of racing. 2 wheels, 4 wheels, it’s all great.

Lcsix
05-27-2022, 08:09 AM
I didn't mention I follow F1 and Indy car somewhat also IMSA just for the variety of brands involved. My favorite car racing is NHRA though, it's a must see in person event. The nitro cars are just unbelievable, the smell and sound the beating on your chest.

F6Dave
05-27-2022, 08:51 AM
I agree that the top fuel nitro cars in NHRA are an experience unlike any other. Here in Colorado you used to be able to get very close to the start line. When they launched it was awesome. I was always amazed how the sound and vibration set off car alarms in the parking lot hundreds of yards away. Even now, you can still get pretty close in the pits when they start them up after rebuilds.

Nearly as good were the F1 cars before they switched to hybrid. I attended the inaugural F1 race in Austin in 2012, when they still ran normally aspirated V8s revving over 19,000 RPM. Today's cars sound OK, but nothing like that.

As for NASCAR, I'll agree that the series has become a little silly. I understand the need to make racing competitive to draw crowds and boost TV ratings, but they've gone too far. Maybe they picked up new fans, but they've lost others, including me.

F6Dave
05-29-2022, 08:08 AM
Today is the day! F1 at Monaco, Indy 500, and NASCAR Coca Cola 600. And it's raining in Monaco to make things really interesting.

Lcsix
05-29-2022, 10:27 AM
Plus MotoGP in Italy! I was at the Indy 500 for Danica's last race. It was something like 95 degrees 1 degree short of the record I believe, sitting elbow to elbow in turn 4. Never do that again but glad I went once.

glengarrygr
05-30-2022, 06:47 AM
As a retired (privateer) road racer - I'm a fan. I have a dream of someday attending Isle of Man. Like an ice hockey game, watching a motorcycle race is so much better live than on TV!

F6Dave
05-30-2022, 08:25 AM
Isle of Man would be great to see. Along with Pikes Peak, it's about the only major race where fans can get really close to the action. Dangerously close: that waiver on the back of your ticket actually means something!

Racing has become extremely safe today and that's a good thing. In the past we lost too many great drivers (Clark, Senna, and Earnhardt) and fans (83 at LeMans in '55). But all the safety measures have made racing less enjoyable to watch in person. Speedways have so many layers of catch fencing that they resemble maximum security prisons, and with the cockpit enclosures in F1 and Indy you can barely tell there's a driver inside.

Landshark
05-30-2022, 03:47 PM
Great racing yesterday. F1, then Indy, followed by NASCAR. What a day.

F6Dave
05-31-2022, 08:50 AM
This post got me to thinking about the first race I ever attended. In 1963 I was 10 years old, growing up on the outskirts of Trenton, NJ. We lived a mile from the Trenton Speedway, a one mile oval on the NJ state fairgrounds. That year three USAC Champ car races and one NASCAR race was held there, so it was common to walk outside on a Sunday and hear the cars. In September my dad was given two tickets to the Trenton 200, and asked if I'd like to go. Of course I did!

There were 26 cars in the field, and all but two were front engine 'roadsters', most with Offenhauser power. The exceptions were a pair of Lotus 29s with 4.2 liter Ford V8 power. These F1 based cars had just made their debut at the Indy 500. The drivers were Dan Gurney and Jim Clark.

Even at 10 I could tell something big was taking place. The Lotus-Fords would effortlessly pass the other cars in the turns. Before long they had lapped everyone except AJ Foyt. Even though both retired (for the same problem) it was obvious that this was the future of Indy car racing. Foyt won the race, but Clark went on to win Indy in 1965 and the old roadsters faded into history.

Lcsix
05-31-2022, 09:59 AM
That's a memory to be proud of!

F6Dave
05-31-2022, 10:35 AM
The next major race I attended was in 1984. It was the F1 race in Dallas. Not a great race with incredible July heat causing the track to crumble in places. And like any street race you were lucky to see two corners. However it was the 1,000+ HP turbo era, and the drivers included Nigel Mansell, Nicki Lauda, Keke Rosberg (winner), Alain Prost, and Ayrton Senna. So when I add Jim Clark and Michael Schumacher (who I saw in his last season) I've had the privilege of personally watching some of the greatest drivers ever.

Moto Jimmy
05-31-2022, 01:54 PM
There's nothing like motorbiking to a motobike race! Southwick, Unadilla, and High Point MX every year...

Lcsix
05-31-2022, 04:33 PM
I've ridden to Indy Moto GP, VIR AMA, Road America(great food) Mid Ohio, Lima HM, Loisville HM,West Virginia HM all bike races. Drove to Brainerd AMA, Bristol NHRA, Hi Point MX, etc. Probably more just can't remember all of em. I'm not good walking all day any more so my race watching is on the tube now.

DarkKnt
06-01-2022, 10:13 AM
Nuts for MotoGP, WSBK, BSB. Have just subscribed to MotoAmerica also, and hope to attend at “The Ridge” in a couple weeks, a track I have ridden.
No interest in F1 anymore, and don’t consider NASCAR racing.

Lcsix
06-01-2022, 03:27 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only one that considers NASCAR "not racing". Once the trendiness of it wore off, the tracks had to take out bleachers to compensate for the lack of interest.

glengarrygr
06-01-2022, 04:12 PM
F6Dave, u r right, it has become much safer. So safe that the biggest risk is a high-side or getting run over. But going off track into a gravel pit or soft barriers are great improvements for safety. One of the best rides one can plan with your friends is go to a pro (or even regional) road race at one of the many tracks in the US where AMA races are held. I raced at NHIS, Daytona, and Mid-Ohio. Watched races at other tracks too, but I recommend a planned ride to go see a motorcycle race near those who ride. In addition to several races based on displacement, they also have vintage races, and team endurance races.

DarkKnt
06-04-2022, 08:42 AM
Glad to see I'm not the only one that considers NASCAR "not racing". Once the trendiness of it wore off, the tracks had to take out bleachers to compensate for the lack of interest.

Not to say the guys aren't skilled, but you sure can't see it as they parade around for hours. Even F1 has become less of a spectator sport as the technology masks the drivers skill and it becomes more like watching chess. Even in MotoGP the absurd skill of the riders is becoming less apparent as the electronics control so much of the bikes performance. You want to watch crazy, 150mph bike racing on tight road courses? It's British SuperBike... 240hp, street based bikes with very limited electronics - tire smoking, side by side racing with great commentary and some real characters. Sign up for "Motorsport TV" and "Bennets British SuperBike". You'll enjoy it...

jm21ddd15
06-11-2022, 08:37 PM
Past weekend was spent at Road America, for the Moto America series, At Elkhart Lake, Wi. Great racing, 4.2 mile track. Next month I will be riding my f6 to neighboring state of Minnisotta, to Brainerd raceway, to watch another series of the Moto America races.

F6blegg
06-29-2022, 06:08 PM
Certainly the electronics are "killing" the skills of the riders. To see races with racers with square balls I recommend watching T.T. Isle of Man. These guys went crazy. Something lighter is the SuperBike world championship with hardly any electronic aids and with stock derived bikes. Luckily in Europe I have been able to enjoy almost all specialties, but certainly, if we talk about spectacular, I have to say that the most impressive are the truck races on circuit and that now are very limited.

Kolsch
06-29-2022, 09:17 PM
Racing fans, try still racing. 😁 check out my YouTube channel. Kolsch221 t.

TheWalrus
07-08-2022, 04:15 PM
MotoAmerica Superbike and MotoGP are the win for me. I also kinda like to watch NASCAR, BUT only on the 'road' courses where they have to turn right. I love to watch the crashes...

I got Covid so didn't get to run over to "The Ridge" in Shelton WA, but I got to watch it on YouTube. It's on my list for next summer now.

TheWalrus
07-08-2022, 04:16 PM
Nuts for MotoGP, WSBK, BSB. Have just subscribed to MotoAmerica also, and hope to attend at “The Ridge” in a couple weeks, a track I have ridden.
No interest in F1 anymore, and don’t consider NASCAR racing.

DarkKnt did you make it to The Ridge? if so how was the venue? I plan to camp there next summer since I didn't make it this year.

F6Dave
07-18-2022, 11:14 AM
I rode out to High Plains Raceway yesterday for an MRA event. It's a 2.5 mile track with 13 turns and 300+ feet in elevation changes. This was the top event, the 'Race of the Rockies' for GTU/GTO classes. It was great with lots of passing between the leaders. Admission was free, and spectators can get close to the action.

http://dchealy.com/valk/hprmra.jpg

DarkKnt
07-22-2022, 11:09 PM
No, I'm afraid I didn't. Told my wife I was thinking about going and she had to tell me about the surprise birthday party she had planned for me that same weekend! Watched all the races from home. I will be there to ride in a couple weeks though, after 2 years away!

TheWalrus
07-27-2022, 04:43 PM
dang. well we both have something to look forward to next year! My wife has bought in to camping at the track too. I just have to promise to go rock picking with her at the beaches later!

F6Dave
08-01-2022, 09:11 AM
I rode out to the nearby track yesterday to watch some vintage car races. It was a lot like a car show but better since they were being driven hard, as they were built to do. They even had a charity fundraiser during lunch where for a $50 donation you could take a 3 lap ride around the track in one of the racers or a few modern supercars. One guy was giving rides in his McLaren.

Like a car show, the owners are more than happy to tell you all you want to know (or more) about their cars. Here were a few of what was racing...

A great looking Javelin that unfortunately was getting trailered after a mechanical problem.
http://dchealy.com/valk/javelin.jpg

A beautiful pair of GT350s. Surprisingly they weren't as fast as I expected.
http://dchealy.com/valk/gt350s.jpg

An extremely rare Marcos. These were made with a variety of engines; this had a Volvo 1800.
http://dchealy.com/valk/marcos.jpg

The Marcos had a plywood frame, part of which is visible in the trunk.
http://dchealy.com/valk/marcos-wood.jpg

F6Dave
08-01-2022, 09:20 AM
The site limits posts to 4 photos, so here are two more. This is another very rare car, an old German NSU TT with a massive oil cooler for the 1200 cc rear engine.
http://dchealy.com/valk/nsu.jpg

Alcohol is prohibited until the final checkered flag, so these guys made due with cardboard beer during the races.
http://dchealy.com/valk/fakebeer.jpg

jm21ddd15
08-03-2022, 07:43 PM
Rode the F6 to Brainerd International Raceway this past weekend for the Moto America cycle races. Great races, however, Saturday was full sun, and hot. I was a bit disappointed in the raceway, as several viewing areas had no working PA system, and the cycles are so fast, I had a tuff time reading the numbers on the bikes. And there is no place to view the races in shade. Elkhart lake Raceway, in Wisconsin, has many shaded locations for viewing. So, next year I'll skip Brainerd for another location. Still, was a fun weekend. Love to watch the road racers. Nice excuse to go on a weekend trip!

F6Dave
08-03-2022, 08:36 PM
One nice thing about attending races is meeting lots of people with similar interests.