PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Road Glide vs. '13 F6B

glengarrygr
06-29-2022, 08:55 PM
I just returned from a 5-day trip to Ocean City. Flew from ATL to BWI and I used "Riders-Share.com" and rented a 2021 Road Glide with only 2,400 miles on it. It was just as smooth as my F6B. I like the RG sound much better than the Honda even though the Honda has Cobra pipes and Torq Loopz. Hard to beat the V-Twin sound. Both bikes are very comfortable. Both had plenty of power off the line. Both handled quite well. In fact the bikes were surprisingly similar except for one area. The F6B has superior wind protection. The RG had significantly more wind noise around the legs, shoulders, neck, & head. I guess that is everywhere but the torso. My F6B does have the Madstad so that helps. But the amount of wind from under that shark-front end is noticeable. I would not have noticed this had I not owned an F6B, and this will matter in colder weather riding. Considering what I paid for my '13 F6B...I'd keep it over a new RG.

Also FWIW, I've used R-S to rent bikes a few times now, and I also rent out my F6B for $85/day. I just started and had two rentals that yielded me $700. That works for me.

taxfree4
07-05-2022, 09:03 PM
I traded my '13 Road Glide Custom, with 4400 miles on it, for a new '13 F6B because the heat generated by the 103 cu.in. motor was unbearable. I can't imagine how hot it gets now with the larger motor. I guess as long as you're moving you're okzy.

Az Wingrider
07-06-2022, 08:52 AM
The new Harley Milwaukee 8 motor throws off a lot less heat than previous motor. Water cooled heads and better exhaust scavenging

taxfree4
07-06-2022, 08:42 PM
The new Harley Milwaukee 8 motor throws off a lot less heat than previous motor. Water cooled heads and better exhaust scavenging

How much is a lot less, what is the temp diffetence. I'd like to see the temps when you're in traffic, which is usually daily for me. In order to cool the heads you have to keep the lowers on, which restricts airflow to the motor where if you took the lowest off, increasing the airflow, you would cool the engine without all the plumbing.

F6Dave
07-07-2022, 07:25 AM

Those water cooled heads were badly needed due to the massive heat generated from running a lean enough mixture to meet current emissions standards. I heard that the rear cylinder ran so hot that the NHTSA was investigating complaints about burns on the legs of passengers, and H-D compensated for the heat by deactivating the rear cylinder when idling.

The F6B's twin side radiator design handles heat better than any motorcycle I've owned. The way the heat exits on the sides keeps much of it off of your legs. It was a challenge for the stylists to work with those radiators. The fins don't look bad on GL1800s, but on the 1800 Valkyries the radiators gave the bike a strange appearance and surely didn't help it sell.

taxfree4
07-07-2022, 12:19 PM
The Milwaukee 8 was a racing motor, never designed to deal with EPA restrictions, they'll never fix it.

jm21ddd15
07-07-2022, 08:10 PM
In 2020, I added a new Road King to my garage. Has the Milwaukee 8 engine. Yes, she gets warm in the hotter weather, so, I just ride other bikes on hot days. Not a big deal to me. I have been pleased with the Harley so far, only has 7k miles, but absolutely no problems or leaks. Has the 6 speed transmission that I wish the F6B had. But if I am going riding for more than an afternoon, I always ride the F6B. Much better all around bike!

F6Dave
07-07-2022, 09:02 PM
The Milwaukee 8 was a racing motor, never designed to deal with EPA restrictions, they'll never fix it.

I don't read much Harley Davidson news. I'm often embarrassed when some guy tells me about his 'FXYZ Spring Tail' and I have no idea which model he's talking about! But 5 years ago when they released the Milwaukee 8 I read a long tech article about it and was very impressed.

It seems odd that H-D would develop such a refined engine, with a catalytic converter and available in 3 distinct variations, primarily for racing. And that they'd design it without considering emissions regulations. What the heck do they race those engines in? And how did they end up in all those cruisers?

Az Wingrider
07-08-2022, 11:20 AM

The Milwaukee 8 is not and never was a racing motor. It is an evolution of the traditional Harley V-twin. The Twin Cam it replaces was a evolution from the Evo and so on all the way back to the Knucklehead. As a result of more efficient combustion and relocation of the catalytic converter the exhaust temps were lowered by 100 degrees.
The last Harley motor with 4 valves per cylinder was the V-Rod, before that the only 8 valve motor Harley produced was the 1916 Model 17 racing motorcycle.

willtill
07-08-2022, 04:41 PM
I don't read much Harley Davidson news. I'm often embarrassed when some guy tells me about his 'FXYZ Spring Tail' and I have no idea which model he's talking about! But 5 years ago when they released the Milwaukee 8 I read a long tech article about it and was very impressed.

It seems odd that H-D would develop such a refined engine, with a catalytic converter and available in 3 distinct variations, primarily for racing. And that they'd design it without considering emissions regulations. What the heck do they race those engines in? And how did they end up in all those cruisers?

Why would you be embarrassed? The Harley pirates are a cult of their own. No need for you to keep abreast of their models or features.

Verismo
07-09-2022, 02:54 PM
Those water cooled heads were badly needed due to the massive heat generated from running a lean enough mixture to meet current emissions standards. I heard that the rear cylinder ran so hot that the NHTSA was investigating complaints about burns on the legs of passengers, and H-D compensated for the heat by deactivating the rear cylinder when idling.

The F6B's twin side radiator design handles heat better than any motorcycle I've owned. The way the heat exits on the sides keeps much of it off of your legs. It was a challenge for the stylists to work with those radiators. The fins don't look bad on GL1800s, but on the 1800 Valkyries the radiators gave the bike a strange appearance and surely didn't help it sell.

You could well be right, but aesthetics are at least somewhat subjective, and I love the look of the newer valks, especially from the seat. It's the ergos I could never warm to.

Jason

taxfree4
07-09-2022, 03:16 PM
The Milwaukee 8 is not and never was a racing motor. It is an evolution of the traditional Harley V-twin. The Twin Cam it replaces was a evolution from the Evo and so on all the way back to the Knucklehead. As a result of more efficient combustion and relocation of the catalytic converter the exhaust temps were lowered by 100 degrees.
The last Harley motor with 4 valves per cylinder was the V-Rod, before that the only 8 valve motor Harley produced was the 1916 Model 17 racing motorcycle.

Somebody better tell Harley because they're using it for King of the Baggers racing series. And as far as efficient combustion take a look at a engine tear down after just 500 miles of this engine, they're on YouTube. Every engine Harley ever made is an "evolution" of the previous engine so I don't see the point.

Verismo
07-09-2022, 03:36 PM
Every engine Harley ever made is an "evolution" of the previous engine so I don't see the point.

Not technically true. They were commissioned during WW2 to design and make an engine that could hang with the Germans and basically copied the design from BMW. They called it the XA. It was a flat twin and shaft driven, and ran about a hundred degrees cooler than the V due to the fins being out in the air. But God forbid Harley stick with an efficient and long lasting design, so they discontinued them after the Army leaned more into the Jeep, and only a thousand of them were made.

Jason

taxfree4
07-09-2022, 05:13 PM
Then that was an evolution of the BMW engine. My point is that any engine a manufacturer makes is usually an improvement, from wherever they get the technology, or an evolution, in the raw sense of the word.

F6Dave
07-10-2022, 10:21 AM
You could well be right, but aesthetics are at least somewhat subjective, and I love the look of the newer valks, especially from the seat. It's the ergos I could never warm to.

Jason

Aesthetics are definitely subjective. I liked the looks of the Rune and thought it was the best looking GL1800 Honda ever built. Others hated it. It sure didn't look comfortable however.

shortleg0521
07-10-2022, 01:40 PM
they sella kit to lower the fairing on the road glide and it makes a big difference.
But again it is another thing you have to buy and install yourself or pay Harley to install.
Nothing less that Hundred Dollars hence HD

taxfree4
07-13-2022, 12:01 PM
they sella kit to lower the fairing on the road glide and it makes a big difference.
But again it is another thing you have to buy and install yourself or pay Harley to install.
Nothing less that Hundred Dollars hence HD

Because Harley has always used its" customers as their R&D Dept. like how big can we make an air cooled engine till it literally fries someone's balls off, then the lawsuit will settle and that'll be their power plateau. BTW, shortleg I sent you a PM a while ago, did you get it?

Az Wingrider
07-16-2022, 06:35 PM
Somebody better tell Harley because they're using it for King of the Baggers racing series. And as far as efficient combustion take a look at a engine tear down after just 500 miles of this engine, they're on YouTube. Every engine Harley ever made is an "evolution" of the previous engine so I don't see the point.

King of the Bagger racing is for production motorcycles with production motors. Very few modifications are allowed. The Milwaukee Eight motor is a 45 degree, air cooled, pushrod V twin motor with a flat plane crank. As I said previously it is based on the Knucklehead that was introduced in 1936, It wasn't a race motor in 1936 and is not a race motgor now. Harley has made much more technologically based motors that would have been far better race motors. The new Revolution Max engine is a 60 degree, water cooled, overhead cam, V-twin with a split plane crank and a 9500 rpm rev limit. If Harley wanted to build a race motor this is current technology.

taxfree4
07-17-2022, 12:05 PM
King of the Bagger racing is for production motorcycles with production motors. Very few modifications are allowed. The Milwaukee Eight motor is a 45 degree, air cooled, pushrod V twin motor with a flat plane crank. As I said previously it is based on the Knucklehead that was introduced in 1936, It wasn't a race motor in 1936 and is not a race motgor now. Harley has made much more technologically based motors that would have been far better race motors. The new Revolution Max engine is a 60 degree, water cooled, overhead cam, V-twin with a split plane crank and a 9500 rpm rev limit. If Harley wanted to build a race motor this is current technology.

Again, since the revolution max is not yet on any production motorcycles they're using the Miluakee 8...for racing. Doesn't change anything I stated. I could look up the specs myself, for what, the fact remains that's the engine they're going with.

Az Wingrider
07-17-2022, 06:22 PM
Again, since the revolution max is not yet on any production motorcycles they're using the Miluakee 8...for racing. Doesn't change anything I stated. I could look up the specs myself, for what, the fact remains that's the engine they're going with.

The Revolution Max is in both the Pan American and the Sportster S

taxfree4
07-17-2022, 07:28 PM
The Revolution Max is in both the Pan American and the Sportster S

Again, so then the Milwaukee 8 is the motor to race with in the King of the Baggers because for whatever reason they didn't put it on a bagger, you answered your own question.

Az Wingrider
07-18-2022, 08:38 AM
Again, so then the Milwaukee 8 is the motor to race with in the King of the Baggers because for whatever reason they didn't put it on a bagger, you answered your own question.

I did answer that question several posts ago. The King of the Baggers racing series is for production motorcycles with stock motors. The Harley Davidson FL series of motorcycles (Baggers) are only offered with the Milwaukee Eight motor so that is what they must race in that series. It is a production motor not a race motor.

taxfree4
07-18-2022, 11:52 AM
I did answer that question several posts ago. The King of the Baggers racing series is for production motorcycles with stock motors. The Harley Davidson FL series of motorcycles (Baggers) are only offered with the Milwaukee Eight motor so that is what they must race in that series. It is a production motor not a race motor.

Exactly, they're RACING with it, so the racing motor they're using for racing, in your opinion, is not a racing motor but the one you claim is a racing motor they're not racing with. Maybe you should give this knowledge to Harley and save the company, and the Republic, since you know more than they do. Like I said the M8 was never meant to meet EPA standards, they'll never fix it.

F6Dave
07-18-2022, 12:26 PM
I don't read much motorcycle news these days. Frankly it was more interesting in the 1970s and 1980s when exciting new bikes hit the market every year. I hadn't paid much attention to the Milwaukee 8 since it was introduced. But Az Wingrider's comments got me interested so I took a bit of a refresher course. I have to say the design is impressive. It might even be the engine that saves the company.

H-D had a real dilemma. Compliance with emissions regs had created serious driveability and heat issues. On a ride to Sturgis 15 years ago many Harley riders and especially passengers were complaining about the heat. Clearly upgrades were needed. But history and tradition is important to these owners, who like the look, sound, and (some of) the feel of the air cooled twins. So the upgrades had to be discrete.

I'd say they did a good job. 4 valve heads increased flow by 50%, but the pushrod valve train looks traditional and is maintenance free. Apparently the improved flow didn't just add HP, it also reduced heat. Moving the cat helped as well, and water cooled heads on the bigger bikes cool it even more. I'd heard that the radiators were hidden in the sidepods to keep the purists happy, but I haven't seen conformation of that. A counter balancer eliminated much of the brutal vibration, but intentionally kept some of the character. I get that. As much as I love my F6B and Valkyries, I have to admit they are ultra-refined and very car like. At times I wouldn't mind a bit more personality.

F6Dave
07-18-2022, 12:31 PM
Like I said the M8 was never meant to meet EPA standards, they'll never fix it.

Where did you hear that?

Az Wingrider
07-18-2022, 01:24 PM
Well said F6Dave.

taxfree4
07-18-2022, 04:21 PM
Where did you hear that?

Let's see if they fix it, they won't, you'll be wrong a second time.

Az Wingrider
07-18-2022, 08:03 PM

One of the design requirements for the Milwaukee 8 motor was that it be able to meet Euro 5 emission standards that went into effect Jan 1, 2020. The Euro 5 standards are much stricter than USA standards. The Euro 5 standards are Carbon Monoxide 1.00 g/km, Hydrocarbons 0.100 g/km, NOx 0.60 g/km and this is for the life of the motorcycle. For example United States EPA standards for Carbon Monoxide are 12.0 g/km. That is 12 times as much allowable Carbon Monoxide. The Harley Davidson FL series of motorcycles (baggers) are certified for sale in Europe. This is a very clean motor for emissions.

Just because you repeatedly claim that this motor will not meet EPA standards doesn't make it true.

taxfree4
07-19-2022, 05:59 AM
One of the design requirements for the Milwaukee 8 motor was that it be able to meet Euro 5 emission standards that went into effect Jan 1, 2020. The Euro 5 standards are much stricter than USA standards. The Euro 5 standards are Carbon Monoxide 1.00 g/km, Hydrocarbons 0.100 g/km, NOx 0.60 g/km and this is for the life of the motorcycle. For example United States EPA standards for Carbon Monoxide are 12.0 g/km. That is 12 times as much allowable Carbon Monoxide. The Harley Davidson FL series of motorcycles (baggers) are certified for sale in Europe. This is a very clean motor for emissions.

Just because you repeatedly claim that this motor will not meet EPA standards doesn't make it true.

You Google very well, like people who use other people's footnotes as their own. I stated that the motor was never made to meet EPA Standards. You left out the end part of the equation. In order to meet them this motor has to run super hot as I ride with Harley technicians, having myself owned them for 35 years. They have pulled temps of between 350-360 degrees, with their Dynojet Power Visions on regular days with low humidity, highway riding no traffic resulting in cracks in the head usually in between the exhaust ports, piston ring failure, worn valve guides etc, etc etc. This motor was not designed for baggers getting caught in traffic or city riding. You can google all the specs you want, they're useless in real world settings. This racing motor works great on the track. See no googling

DaWadd
07-19-2022, 07:41 AM
Arguing about Harley on a Goldwing forum. Why don't you guys PM each other instead of acting like kids.

F6Dave
07-19-2022, 08:51 AM
Let's see if they fix it, they won't, you'll be wrong a second time.

That's the non-answer I was expecting!

You claimed the Milwaukee 8 engine 'was never meant to meet EPA standards'. That's big news! Surely it would have leaked out and be well known 5 years after the rollout. Did you just make that up to keep this conversation lively?

F6Dave
07-19-2022, 09:07 AM
Arguing about Harley on a Goldwing forum. Why don't you guys PM each other instead of acting like kids.

Actually I found most of the discussion interesting, and it encouraged me to do more research on Harley's new engine. I've owned 6 Hondas, and really like my Valkyries and F6B. However, if I were in the market for another motorcycle I probably wouldn't be shopping in Honda dealerships. The company's passion for motorcycles started to decline after Mr. Honda died. That decline appears to be accelerating as evidenced by rumors of the Goldwing's demise. Their exit from Formula 1 racing is another indicator. Much of this is driven by a corporate green agenda that borders on extreme.

If I were looking at another motorcycle it would probably be a BMW or Triumph, or maybe even a Moto Guzzi. I'd consider an Indian, and might even take a look at a Harley. Wow, I can't believe I just said that!

jmdaniel
07-19-2022, 11:18 AM
You Google very well, like people who use other people's footnotes as their own. I stated that the motor was never made to meet EPA Standards. You left out the end part of the equation. In order to meet them this motor has to run super hot as I ride with Harley technicians, having myself owned them for 35 years. They have pulled temps of between 350-360 degrees, with their Dynojet Power Visions on regular days with low humidity, highway riding no traffic resulting in cracks in the head usually in between the exhaust ports, piston ring failure, worn valve guides etc, etc etc. This motor was not designed for baggers getting caught in traffic or city riding. You can google all the specs you want, they're useless in real world settings. This racing motor works great on the track. See no googling

Googling? Dude, you have no idea what Dwight does for a part time job, when he's not riding his B. :D

taxfree4
07-19-2022, 03:10 PM
[QUOTE=DaWadd;189167]Arguing about Harley on a Goldwing forum. Why don't you guys PM each other instead of acting like kids.[/QUOTE

It's so easy for me to mind my own business why is it so hard for other people. This is a discussion about motorcycles. There is no prohibition about what motorcycles we discuss. To voluntarily go out of your way to be annoyed, offended or just pissed, and then comment on it, seems a little menstrual. I suggest you don't read the posts that annoy you and if you have nothing constructive to add...don't, otherwise, move on.

taxfree4
07-19-2022, 08:49 PM
Googling? Dude, you have no idea what Dwight does for a part time job, when he's not riding his B. :D

What does that matter, the facts don't care what anyone does part or full time and it doesn't need anyone to believe them to be true. These guys I ride with actually test, work and repair these motors in the real world, and this problem is industry wide, no secret, they run super hot because they have to meet the EPA Standards. Harley doesn't care like they've never cared.

taxfree4
07-19-2022, 09:08 PM

You claimed the Milwaukee 8 engine 'was never meant to meet EPA standards'. That's big news! Surely it would have leaked out and be well known 5 years after the rollout. Did you just make that up to keep this conversation lively?

Y
True, because Harley is always open and honest with their customers. Like the throttle lag I had in my 2010 Street Glide that I actually took the dealer, which has since gone out of business (Miracle Mile), to court, and won, because they wouldn't admit there was a problem .Finally, I found a dealer in Pennsylvania who pinpointed the problem, software glitch. Or the deceleration death wobble on my buddies Ultra that the dealer denied repeatedly, despite him having video of it. Harley doesn't care as they know, no matter what there are gullible diner pirates out there who will never switch, even if they have to move the cats farther back so you don't literally fry your balls off. Just look at the teardown of these motors, some after 500 miles.

Az Wingrider
07-20-2022, 07:51 AM
What does that matter, the facts don't care what anyone does part or full time and it doesn't need anyone to believe them to be true. These guys I ride with actually test, work and repair these motors in the real world, and this problem is industry wide, no secret, they run super hot because they have to meet the EPA Standards. Harley doesn't care like they've never cared.

I seem to remeber you saying the M8 would never meet EPA standards, now you are saying it does. You also said your buddies the "Harley technicians" were running tuners. With tuners they are able to change the fuel mapping and ignition timing and afterwards they are complaining about head temperatures.

You are right the facts don't care what anyone does full or part time and I haven't seen you present any facts, just your opinions which are contrary to the facts.

tenxxx
07-20-2022, 09:14 AM
Who gives a shit.
Id rather talk about weather we will still have anything to ride in a few years.
We'll all be on electric bicycles if this social nonsense keeps snowballing.

F6Dave
07-20-2022, 10:22 AM
Who gives a shit.
Id rather talk about weather we will still have anything to ride in a few years.
We'll all be on electric bicycles if this social nonsense keeps snowballing.

But good luck finding a place to charge them!

I've told friends who are mesmerized by EVs that while they work well in some situations, it's pure fantasy that we'll be able to add millions of new EVs to a grid that is already marginal. Just look at Texas where they're being told postpone charging and turn off appliances because wind power is providing less than 8% of its 'installed capacity'. Rationing is being implemented in the UK, where mandated 'smart' chargers stop functioning from 8-11 AM and 4-10 PM. That's what's in store for us if we keep trying to electrify everything.

jmdaniel
07-20-2022, 10:46 AM

He is the curator of this place, dude. He knows a thing or two about a thing or two, Harley related.

https://www.buddystubbshd.com/museum

(https://www.buddystubbshd.com/museum)

F6Dave
07-20-2022, 11:14 AM

Y
True, because Harley is always open and honest with their customers. Like the throttle lag I had in my 2010 Street Glide that I actually took the dealer, which has since gone out of business (Miracle Mile), to court, and won, because they wouldn't admit there was a problem .Finally, I found a dealer in Pennsylvania who pinpointed the problem, software glitch. Or the deceleration death wobble on my buddies Ultra that the dealer denied repeatedly, despite him having video of it. Harley doesn't care as they know, no matter what there are gullible diner pirates out there who will never switch, even if they have to move the cats farther back so you don't literally fry your balls off. Just look at the teardown of these motors, some after 500 miles.

That's quite a post! It's sure to enhance your expert reputation. Your credibility slipped a bit a few months back when you told us Stellantis could upgrade a Jeep dashboard to leather for 50 cents.

taxfree4
07-20-2022, 05:16 PM
I seem to remeber you saying the M8 would never meet EPA standards, now you are saying it does. You also said your buddies the "Harley technicians" were running tuners. With tuners they are able to change the fuel mapping and ignition timing and afterwards they are complaining about head temperatures.

You are right the facts don't care what anyone does full or part time and I haven't seen you present any facts, just your opinions which are contrary to the facts.

Let me refresh your selective memory the exact quote was "The Milwaukee 8 was a racing motor, never designed to deal with EPA restrictions, they'll never fix it." I would think that with your cut and paste talent you could have done that. Anyway, the fact is they're using it for racing, the fact is the motor you said is a racing motor they aren't. The mere fact they have to only a production motor with no additional enhancements tells me that Harley, not you, has enough confidence in that motor to race with it. The fact that it has to run at these extremely hot temperatures just to meet the EPA Standards, forget retuning AFTER you own it, they wanted to pull temps in trying to diagnose the problems that were occuring, we're talking out of the factory meeting the EPA requirements. Contrary to what fact, you have just cut and pasted specs, so what, my 5 year old grandson can do that

taxfree4
07-20-2022, 05:21 PM
That's quite a post! It's sure to enhance your expert reputation. Your credibility slipped a bit a few months back when you told us Stellantis could upgrade a Jeep dashboard to leather for 50 cents.

You're another cheerleader that doesn't read posts, that wasn't the statement. Jeep, the manufacturer, would not go for the extra money to upgrade all dashboards to leather. The nuns were right it does ruin your eyes.

taxfree4
07-20-2022, 05:25 PM

Weren't you the guy with the bogus air filter test to bolster you being too cheap to go for the K&N.

taxfree4
07-20-2022, 05:28 PM
He is the curator of this place, dude. He knows a thing or two about a thing or two, Harley related.

https://www.buddystubbshd.com/museum

(https://www.buddystubbshd.com/museum)
That's not an endorsement but it explains his ability to cut and paste...lots of idle time

Phantom
07-20-2022, 09:07 PM
Sometimes, you just have to laugh :popcorn:

F6Dave
07-21-2022, 09:08 AM
You're another cheerleader that doesn't read posts, that wasn't the statement. Jeep, the manufacturer, would not go for the extra money to upgrade all dashboards to leather. The nuns were right it does ruin your eyes.

Your words:

in order to go from the standard dashboard to a leather dashboard on that vehicle it would have cost the manufacturer 50 cents more per vehicle...

Do you actually believe all the stuff you post? I'm genuinely curious.

And you might want to rethink the name calling. It doesn't prove any points, and I doubt it's winning you any friends.

taxfree4
07-21-2022, 09:59 AM
Your words:

Do you actually believe all the stuff you post? I'm genuinely curious.

And you might want to rethink the name calling. It doesn't prove any points, and I doubt it's winning you any friends.

I'll take that as a yes you're the guy. Instead of surfing for porn you could find out for yourself or you can ask your librarian friend you're cheerleading for, or contact Fiat the parent company and unlike your bogus air filter posting it is a fact. As far as making friends, I have all the friends I need/want, however, searching forums to find friends...creepy, but I understand as your picture says a lot, you're all alone in that parking lot, do you need a friend. Guaranteed you green screened it.

jmdaniel
07-21-2022, 10:16 AM
That's not an endorsement but it explains his ability to cut and paste...lots of idle time

Actually, it is an endorsement. I first met Dwight at the Cortez B rally, and have been riding with him annually ever since. He's a friend of mine, a damn good rider, and leads groups of other riders all over the western US. At least, when he's not busy as curator of the Harley museum at the oldest Harley dealership in Phoenix, or running their rental program. The only thing that annoys me about him is his encyclopedic memory of all the roads in CO, UT, NM, AZ, and other places. When he starts a conversation with, "Well, Jeff, certainly you know that you go down 121, and take a left on 35, for just a short bit, then look for the sign for that old hotel that burned down in the 70s; take a right just past that...", I just reply, "Sounds good, I'll be right behind you." That memory, as it pertains to Harley info, isn't cut and paste.

As far as you, there is a phrase used in Texas when coming across the human version of a bothersome gnat:

Bless Your Heart

Have a good one! Still running two different sets of foot pegs on your B at the same time? Still using the remnant of a plastic bucket for a side cover? :rolleyes:

Az Wingrider
07-21-2022, 11:21 AM
Sometimes, you just have to laugh :popcorn:

This has been a very entertaining thread. The allegation that the best selling motorcycle in the United States does not meet EPA regulations is very mind blowing. One of the perks of my job at the museum and the dealership is that when I get the urge to enjoy the Harley Experience I take one of the bikes from our rental fleet for a few days. I enjoy riding the new Harleys, they are good quality bikes and fun to ride, just not my cup of tea. I always enjoy returning to my "B". Harley Davidson has done something no other motorcycle manufacturer has been able to do. They not only sell a motorcycle, they have marketed a lifestyle.

Our museum not only has Harley Davidsons. We have 141 motorcycles from 35 different manufacturers and 17 different countries. All of our motorcycles, some of which are over 100 years old, run. we are open 7 days a week and I invite any of you reading this to stop in anytime you are in Phoenix. I am not there everyday but if you let me know you are coming I will attempt to be there.

I am usually only in rentals one day a week. We have a large fleet of late model Harleys and Arizona has some really great riding areas. If you are in the area without a bike give it a thought. Pete who is now our rentals manager is a great guy and will take good care of you if I am not there.

Thank you jmdaniel for the kind words, you are a good friend and the many miles we have ridden together have always been very enjoyable.

Just a couple of last comments. I do reply with a quote occasionally but I don't remember doing any cut and pasting on this forum. Also whenever I am at the museum or the dealership my 93,000 mile F6B is parked behind the building near the employee entrance.

mike528
07-21-2022, 11:23 AM
Actually I found most of the discussion interesting, and it encouraged me to do more research on Harley's new engine. I've owned 6 Hondas, and really like my Valkyries and F6B. However, if I were in the market for another motorcycle I probably wouldn't be shopping in Honda dealerships. The company's passion for motorcycles started to decline after Mr. Honda died. That decline appears to be accelerating as evidenced by rumors of the Goldwing's demise. Their exit from Formula 1 racing is another indicator. Much of this is driven by a corporate green agenda that borders on extreme.

If I were looking at another motorcycle it would probably be a BMW or Triumph, or maybe even a Moto Guzzi. I'd consider an Indian, and might even take a look at a Harley. Wow, I can't believe I just said that!

borderline suicidal. their corporate outlook at least on the US side has lost sight of the core beliefs of Mr Honda. its sad, and terrifying.

jmdaniel
07-21-2022, 12:12 PM
This has been a very entertaining thread. The allegation that the best selling motorcycle in the United States does not meet EPA regulations is very mind blowing. One of the perks of my job at the museum and the dealership is that when I get the urge to enjoy the Harley Experience I take one of the bikes from our rental fleet for a few days. I enjoy riding the new Harleys, they are good quality bikes and fun to ride, just not my cup of tea. I always enjoy returning to my "B". Harley Davidson has done something no other motorcycle manufacturer has been able to do. They not only sell a motorcycle, they have marketed a lifestyle.

Our museum not only has Harley Davidsons. We have 141 motorcycles from 35 different manufacturers and 17 different countries. All of our motorcycles, some of which are over 100 years old, run. we are open 7 days a week and I invite any of you reading this to stop in anytime you are in Phoenix. I am not there everyday but if you let me know you are coming I will attempt to be there.

I am usually only in rentals one day a week. We have a large fleet of late model Harleys and Arizona has some really great riding areas. If you are in the area without a bike give it a thought. Pete who is now our rentals manager is a great guy and will take good care of you if I am not there.

Thank you jmdaniel for the kind words, you are a good friend and the many miles we have ridden together have always been very enjoyable.

Just a couple of last comments. I do reply with a quote occasionally but I don't remember doing any cut and pasting on this forum. Also whenever I am at the museum or the dealership my 93,000 mile F6B is parked behind the building near the employee entrance.

https://i.imgflip.com/o4f1a.jpg

Elroy
07-21-2022, 03:03 PM
...I first met Dwight at the Cortez B rally, and have been riding with him annually ever since. He's a friend of mine, a damn good rider, and leads groups of other riders all over the western US...

I also had the pleasure of meeting and riding with Dwight in Cortez. I was in the small group he led on the Million$ Hwy, thru Telluride and Silverton. My interactions with him are among the relative few that I remember very well from that Rally. Even though it was only a few days, Dwight was obviously very knowledgeable, well-travelled, and a superb rider. I've zero reason to doubt anything he'd post, let alone be led to believe he was talking out of his ass or bullshitting anyone...

taxfree4
07-21-2022, 04:29 PM
Actually, it is an endorsement. I first met Dwight at the Cortez B rally, and have been riding with him annually ever since. He's a friend of mine, a damn good rider, and leads groups of other riders all over the western US. At least, when he's not busy as curator of the Harley museum at the oldest Harley dealership in Phoenix, or running their rental program. The only thing that annoys me about him is his encyclopedic memory of all the roads in CO, UT, NM, AZ, and other places. When he starts a conversation with, "Well, Jeff, certainly you know that you go down 121, and take a left on 35, for just a short bit, then look for the sign for that old hotel that burned down in the 70s; take a right just past that...", I just reply, "Sounds good, I'll be right behind you." That memory, as it pertains to Harley info, isn't cut and paste.

As far as you, there is a phrase used in Texas when coming across the human version of a bothersome gnat:

Bless Your Heart

Have a good one! Still running two different sets of foot pegs on your B at the same time? Still using the remnant of a plastic bucket for a side cover? :rolleyes:
I'm happy you and the librarian are buddies, that's what this forum is all about, making friends, according to the other member of the cheerleading crew. As far as the pegs I bought the bike with the Rivco Pegs but don't use them, I use the Kuryakyn, didnt see a need to take the off till I sold them, which I have to someone on this forum. I replaced the side cover weeks ago, I guess you'd never have that problem back and forth to the diner. As far as you go we also have a saying in NYC for guys like you, more like advice "I hope the librarian doesn't turn around too fast, he may snap your neck"

taxfree4
07-21-2022, 04:39 PM

Again reading comprehension is a problem my statement was not that it doesn't meet EPA Standards but that iy was never meant to meet those standards which is the reason it has to run so extremely hot and doing the damage it was and still is doing to the interior parts of the motor. Just look at the teardowns of this motor, some after only 500 miles. "They'll never fix it" as I've said

tenxxx
07-21-2022, 06:09 PM
I can't figure how to comment on this particular post.
I dont want to get my head bit off so,,,, So I'll just sit back and wait for the bell.
Cary on.
Not hitting below the drive belt.

RickW
07-21-2022, 06:34 PM
I closed this thread.