PDA

View Full Version : Rotational sound front end

SpencerPJ
07-15-2022, 07:22 AM
I have a slight rotational rubbing sound coming from my front end while riding (seems front right), I hear it at low speeds. I can not get it to make any changes by applying any brake combination, strait line or turning, so I really don't think it is brake related. Is this sound a common fault? like maybe front wheel bearings or ?? Could road crap be wedged somewhere? Your wisdom is appreciated.

Sorcerer
07-15-2022, 08:07 AM
Have you checked the break pads?

SpencerPJ
07-15-2022, 09:20 AM
I actually replaced the RF brake pads, cleaned it up well. I feel the sound would stop or change as I applied brakes, if it were brakes.

F6Dave
07-15-2022, 11:41 AM
I'd jack the front off the ground spin the wheel. Should be easy to locate.

SpencerPJ
07-15-2022, 03:18 PM
I'd jack the front off the ground spin the wheel. Should be easy to locate.
I will. New Discovery. The sound is more after riding and warmed up.

I recently replaced the front R brake pads. I did clean the pin etc, but I did not take the caliber off and lube any other slide pins. Could something be hanging ?

Lcsix
07-16-2022, 03:21 PM
Could it be the new pads have not bedded in yet, causing uneven dragging noise?

SpencerPJ
07-16-2022, 04:37 PM
Could it be the new pads have not bedded in yet, causing uneven dragging noise?
I would think if that was the case, the noise would change as I applied brake??

tenxxx
07-16-2022, 09:21 PM
If the noise wasnt there before you did the work, you know where to start.
Jack it back up and take it apart.
Re work is no fun but it needs to be figured out before something happens.

SpencerPJ
07-17-2022, 07:22 AM
If the noise wasnt there before you did the work, you know where to start.
Jack it back up and take it apart.
Re work is no fun but it needs to be figured out before something happens.
The noise was there I have been saying all along it's not the brakes, it is part of the reason I replaced the RF pads, hence my question, what can make a rotational sound.

willtill
07-17-2022, 08:21 AM
Maybe you warped one of the rotors. Raise your front end and spin the wheel, while holding a stationary pointer near each rotor. That will tell you if you have one that has warped or has excessive runout.

seventwenty
07-17-2022, 11:24 PM
What Will is saying ⬆️ I’m curious tho, why would you replace only the track side? Shouldn’t need a pointer, spin it and go from there

SpencerPJ
07-18-2022, 07:18 AM
What Will is saying ⬆️ I’m curious tho, why would you replace only the track side? Shouldn’t need a pointer, spin it and go from there
I'm guessing the track side means RF? My LF and RR pads looked fairly new. (I bought bike last fall) I will put it on center stand and jack later and start inspecting.

f6bcarider
07-18-2022, 06:46 PM
does it get louder when turning right or left like a growling sound ? and how many miles on your F6B

SeaSteve
07-19-2022, 08:26 AM
I'd lift the front then spin the wheel to hear the sound. Then remove one side brake pads and spin again, then the other and spin again. Then you move on to checking if the rotor is warped.

SpencerPJ
07-19-2022, 02:47 PM
So, I did lift bike and felt the sound was coming from a brake, uncertain witch on. I did a great cleaning with brake cleaner, then a good soap and water bath. Took for a ride today, dead quiet for first 30 miles. End of trip I once again hear a slight rotation. I am going to check tomorrow from a cold start, but I guess it's a possibility that one of the calibers hangs just a tad?? I cleaned the RF prior to brakework but the other side has only had an exterior wash, and brake fluid exchange, so who knows if last brake job was done to a high standard. It does not seem anything threatening by any means, heck most people wouldn't hear it, lol. I'll keep an eye on it.

ps: after sound was slightly present, turns, leaning, heck dragging the brakes did not change it.

Elroy
09-16-2022, 05:12 PM
Any update on this issue Spencer? I may be experiencing a similar issue, however mine is only present now AFTER brake work.

SpencerPJ
09-16-2022, 06:13 PM
I still get it. It will go away after a good washing, comes back after a few 100 mile rides. So I think some brake gunk causes it. I plan to dig harder when I get new tires in a couple weeks. I plan to just clean everything 100% as it should be, lube everything etc.

SeaSteve
09-21-2022, 09:08 AM
First, I'm gonna plug the Fred Harmon Angel Ride Goldwing Maintenance Videos (https://vimeo.com/ondemand/angelridevideos) as a great source for information.

In the video he shows how the brake calipers can be removed from the front tire and swung out of the way of the rotors, which you probably already know how to do. ALSO you can remove the backs (insides) of the calipers and really see and clean everything. Each caliper has three bolts that attach the two halves together. Fred Harmon did it and so did I. Everything went back together very easily. I do suggest doing this with the front wheel (and rotors) removed. It's makes everything MUCH easier.

If you do pull the backs of the calipers off DON'T pump the brake handle or the pistons will go bouncing on the garage floor...Don't ask how I know this!!

SpencerPJ
10-01-2022, 07:42 AM
Just another update: Had front tire off (replaced), I took brakes out, cleaned everything, put together as perfect as i could. I drive it, still no rotational sound for first 10 miles. Then slight sound. Mind you, with a full helmet you would not hear this. I have concluded, as everything warms up, things expand a bit. I can lightly drag the brakes and it does not change sound, and front wheel bearings seemed smoothe. I'm calling it normal, and will stay aware for any changes.