PDA

View Full Version : Saved the best for last

taxfree4
07-25-2022, 10:10 AM
Forgot I had these. These were from June 3rd, the 2nd day of the cross country as I was out in Clinton, Ohio for my son's wedding. This is a city with a population, as of the 2020 census, of 1203 people, however, the size and detail put into this memorial is mind boggling. One of the most impressive memorials I've seen yet.

taxfree4
07-25-2022, 10:18 AM
Clinton, Ohio Veterans Memorial

taxfree4
07-25-2022, 10:22 AM
Clinton Ohio Veterans Memorial

taxfree4
07-25-2022, 10:24 AM
Clinton, Ohio Veterans Memorial

taxfree4
07-25-2022, 12:14 PM
The Video

https://youtu.be/l-Zz_7gC8Co

Lcsix
07-25-2022, 12:21 PM
I live about 4 miles from Clinton, grew up in that area. The original Miss Harley Davidson ,Regina Smith gew up in Clinton. Not much there now other than the memorial and Towpath Trail head.

taxfree4
07-25-2022, 12:58 PM
I live about 4 miles from Clinton, grew up in that area. The original Miss Harley Davidson ,Regina Smith grew up in Clinton. Not much there now other than the memorial and Towpath Trail head.

What a great place to grow up. Patriotic, quiet and green. My new daughter-in-law, and her parents and 5 siblings, were home-schooled and are the most God-fearing, America-loving people I have ever met in my life. To me, the farther you get away from the big cities the more real America reveals itself.

Lcsix
07-26-2022, 10:15 AM
There are more good people in this country then the news outlets lead us to believe. Glad you enjoyed your trip and the visit to Clinton,Oh.

wjduke
07-26-2022, 03:48 PM
Was happy to follow you on this trip. I was thrilled on how well she held up on another grueling long, hot trip, two years in a row. I knew she would, always said I’d do it again in a heartbeat. Was wondering how the tires held up. Did they make it all the way there and back? That needs to be mentioned if they did. I did over 7,000, and I believe you were close to that on this one.

wjduke
07-26-2022, 03:49 PM
Disregard this message. I sent the same one twice somehow.

taxfree4
07-26-2022, 05:28 PM
Was happy to follow you on this trip. I was thrilled on how well she held up on another grueling long, hot trip, two years in a row. I knew she would, always said I’d do it again in a heartbeat. Was wondering how the tires held up. Did they make it all the way there and back? That needs to be mentioned if they did. I did over 7,000, and I believe you were close to that on this one.

I can't believe how well the tires are holding up. I will probably change the rear after the summer riding season, going to go darkside. I am contemplating doing Prudhoe Bay, Alaska for next year so I'll need the extra meat.

taxfree4
07-26-2022, 05:45 PM
Front and rear, it's about that time.

willtill
07-26-2022, 06:12 PM
Front and rear, it's about that time.

That is amazing for the amount of miles you rode recently Mike. Imagine a car tire on the back wheel. You wouldn't even contemplate pulling a Lincoln out of your pocket to measure the wear...

taxfree4
07-26-2022, 06:19 PM
That is amazing for the amount of miles you rode recently Mike. Imagine a car tire on the back wheel. You wouldn't even contemplate pulling a Lincoln out of your pocket to measure the wear...

You gave me the rear tire info but no one has it, do you have a 2nd choice on a rear and as far as the front is the Battleax BT45 adequate. Some say it's noisy but thanks to a career at the phone company it'll balance off the tinnitis

taxfree4
07-27-2022, 07:06 AM
How about the Cinturato P7 RF, is that a close second?

willtill
07-27-2022, 08:43 AM
How about the Cinturato P7 RF, is that a close second?

Mike, I don't like the mismatched tread appearance on that one. I know another forum member is running it and he seems to be happy with it.

In this Darkside thread, looks at posts #10 and #12. They are both different run flats and portions of the tread design is more matched.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?13984-Time-for-a-new-CT

taxfree4
07-27-2022, 09:54 AM
Mike, I don't like the mismatched tread appearance on that one. I know another forum member is running it and he seems to be happy with it.

In this Darkside thread, looks at posts #10 and #12. They are both different run flats and portions of the tread design is more matched.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?13984-Time-for-a-new-CT

Thanks for the info, went with the Kuhmo, coming Monday. As far as the front is the Battleax good or do you have a better suggestion

taxfree4
07-27-2022, 12:07 PM
And then there is the Michelin Pilot Activ 130/70-18

taxfree4
07-27-2022, 12:09 PM
Forget it, everyone is out of stock

willtill
07-27-2022, 03:46 PM
Forget it, everyone is out of stock

Yeah. because... FJB

Hopefully you can find one. As far as the front tire, I'm still running OEM. Forget at the moment what it is.

jm21ddd15
07-27-2022, 06:19 PM
Thanks for sharing the photos of the Memorial. Good stuff!

taxfree4
07-28-2022, 08:41 AM
Thanks for sharing the photos of the Memorial. Good stuff!

I was left speechless, for a town with 1200 people to put up such a incredible dedication.

jm21ddd15
07-28-2022, 10:52 AM
I stumbled upon another beautiful war memorial about a month ago, in far north Wisconsin, by Presque Isle, near the intersection of hwy 64 and county W., just a couple miles south of Michigan's U.P. There doesn't even seem to be a town nearby, but it is a beautiful place. Unfortunately, I'm not as smart as my phone, so I am unqualified to post my pics. If your ever in that area, check it out. Also, some great backroad country riding in the area.

taxfree4
07-28-2022, 03:16 PM
I stumbled upon another beautiful war memorial about a month ago, in far north Wisconsin, by Presque Isle, near the intersection of hwy 64 and county W., just a couple miles south of Michigan's U.P. There doesn't even seem to be a town nearby, but it is a beautiful place. Unfortunately, I'm not as smart as my phone, so I am unqualified to post my pics. If your ever in that area, check it out. Also, some great backroad country riding in the area.
I definitely will, thanks for the heads up. BTW, Menomonie, besides Temecula, CA., is my favorite American city names of all time.

taxfree4
07-28-2022, 03:21 PM
Ordered her yesterday, she came today, and she's beautiful.

willtill
07-29-2022, 10:27 AM
Ordered her yesterday, she came today, and she's beautiful.

Most excellent :yes: Start at 28psi, that's what I run in my run flat tire.

'dark-side'

Since you are a first time Darksider... be aware that you will feel a little lateral "drift" if you stop at an intersection, which the pavement sometimes has worn spots in it from heavy traffic. Not a big deal, keep a good grip on the handlebars if you encounter it. The car tire will try to find the bottom of the worn spot in the pavement. Not an issue if you are at speed, but when slowing to a stop you will sense it.

Other than that, you are going to love the handling, longevity, traction and being a member of a discipline that defies all rules.smilie and :cus: naysayers.

taxfree4
07-29-2022, 01:55 PM
Most excellent :yes: Start at 28psi, that's what I run in my run flat tire.

'dark-side'

Since you are a first time Darksider... be aware that you will feel a little lateral "drift" if you stop at an intersection, which the pavement sometimes has worn spots in it from heavy traffic. Not a big deal, keep a good grip on the handlebars if you encounter it. The car tire will try to find the bottom of the worn spot in the pavement. Not an issue if you are at speed, but when slowing to a stop you will sense it.

Other than that, you are going to love the handling, longevity, traction and being a member of a discipline that defies all rules.smilie and :cus: naysayers.

Thanks for the heads up, in the midst of it now. Had a blow up mattress that Inflated and once she was leaned over let the air out and she laid down far enough for me to get the center stand out. Needed a breaker bar but they came off. 80ft lbs if I'm not mistaken on the rear. Anyway, was given the 3rd degree at the tire shop told them it was for a sidecar, paid in cash no receipt.

taxfree4
07-29-2022, 04:53 PM
What in the name of Sam Hill, took a ride on the new tire and it was the same feeling I had after I rode on my Russell Day Long, I said to myself how the hell did I ever do all those x-country rides without it. 28 psi was a little mushy for this tire so I bumped it up, I'm going to play with it till it feels right. I felt the difference immediately in the ride I took. It just feels more stable, a little more counter steering but nothing drastic. I will do a lot more riding to break that tire in but I definitely feel a difference.

willtill
07-29-2022, 05:59 PM
What in the name of Sam Hill, took a ride on the new tire and it was the same feeling I had after I rode on my Russell Day Long, I said to myself how the hell did I ever do all those x-country rides without it. 28 psi was a little mushy for this tire so I bumped it up, I'm going to play with it till it feels right. I felt the difference immediately in the ride I took. It just feels more stable, a little more counter steering but nothing drastic. I will do a lot more riding to break that tire in but I definitely feel a difference.

Very good.

It should not take a lot more PSI... the run flats have stiffer sidewalls so if you put too much air pressure in them, the sidewall will not deform correctly during a lean of the bike into a corner. The mushiness you feel is the sidewall deforming to keep more tread on the pavement. You will get used to this sensation and it will not be noticeable later on.

Watch the rub marks on the side of the tread. If it looks like you are rubbing on the area above the edge of the tread, reduce that PSI a bit.

I'll run out in a bit and take a pic of my CT's run flat tread edge to show you what I'm talking about, once this damned rain stops.

On edit: 28PSI

https://i.postimg.cc/pTTscXrp/Capture.jpg

taxfree4
07-29-2022, 06:27 PM
Very good.

It should not take a lot more PSI... the run flats have stiffer sidewalls so if you put too much air pressure in them, the sidewall will not deform correctly during a lean of the bike into a corner. The mushiness you feel is the sidewall deforming to keep more tread on the pavement. You will get used to this sensation and it will not be noticeable later on.

Watch the rub marks on the side of the tread. If it looks like you are rubbing on the area above the edge of the tread, reduce that PSI a bit.

I'll run out in a bit and take a pic of my CT's run flat tread edge to show you what I'm talking about, once this damned rain stops.

On edit: 28PSI

https://i.postimg.cc/pTTscXrp/Capture.jpg

Gotcha, will reduce the psi.