PDA

View Full Version : Installed New Ultimate Seat

Darkknight
12-21-2013, 12:45 PM
Christmas came early!:icon_biggrin:
I installed my new ultimate Seat. Here are my first impressions.
SWEET!:yes:
After install (took 25 minutes start to finish), I had no issues with saddlebag latches or removing side covers with seat in place.
This seat will put you approximately 1/2 inch closer to the handle bars. I measured the stock seat from the gas tank cover to the seam that begins the driver's backstop (if you can call it that). There is more of a slope on the stock seat. The new ultimate is more vertical and feels more supportive. This seat also feels narrower in the front so if seat height is a problem when stopped, this may allow you to touch flat footed.
So the dimensions from the gas tank cover to the beginning of the rise to the passenger section on the stock unit is approximately 19.5 inches and the Ultimate is 19.0 inches.
The top of the rise to the passenger area is much different. The stock unit is 23" to the gas tank and the ultimate is 20". So you can see the slope is much more vertical with the ultimate. The height of both seats from driver to passenger is the same at approximately 6.5"
Here's the approximate dimensional view
Here's the final Product
And if you have never removed your seat, these are the pieces.
The snow here is melting rapidly and I hope to ride on Christmas day. Just sitting on this seat is telling me it was worth the wait. Now I'll put Sweetie on it and get the final Vote. She already sat on it off the bike and liked it so this should be just a formality.:icon_wink:

Scotrod
12-21-2013, 01:32 PM
Looks good! :yes:

Great informative pictures as well!

Just compared them with the pics of myself on my OEM seat. The 23" point of the OEM seat is where my back was located. Looks like the backrest on the Ultimate is at ~20"~

Thanks goodness not everyone has the same issues I have!

GONRDN
12-21-2013, 04:55 PM
Did mine today too!

hiflyer
12-21-2013, 05:07 PM
Did mine today too!

That really looks nice. Be sure to give us your first impressions for those of us who haven't made a decision yet. It comes down to preference I guess, best seat I ever had was an RDL, but I am open minded and want the feedback from all the brands. Like I said, looks nice, its down to the RDL or this one for me.

GONRDN
12-21-2013, 09:43 PM
That really looks nice. Be sure to give us your first impressions for those of us who haven't made a decision yet. It comes down to preference I guess, best seat I ever had was an RDL, but I am open minded and want the feedback from all the brands. Like I said, looks nice, its down to the RDL or this one for me.

First 100 mile impression: Sit closer to bars, sit more upright, good posture, sit in the bike, not on it, little thinner in the thigh, passenger was very comfortable also. Over all I like it. One thing about the stock seat was when I came to a stop, I felt like I was sliding on the seat forward, which made for uncomfortable stopping. This seat seems more grippy for a lack of a better term. Could be a softer type of vinyl.

I did notice that my jacket kept bunching up in the lower part of seat, making it alittle uncomfortable.

BillyDaFinn
12-22-2013, 04:57 AM
This is an awesome thread, great info., pictures, got it all, thanks everyone.

I bought the corbin smuggler seat/trunk, its still sitting on the floor in my dining room, now I'm beginning to think it may not make it on the bike, I'm really liking the looks and function of the Ultimate seat as being reported.

good reviews, thanks!

FlaMike
12-22-2013, 06:55 AM
This is an awesome thread, great info., pictures, got it all, thanks everyone.

Yep, what he said. :yes:

Excellent looking seat and detailed info. Had Ultimate seats on 2 bikes in the past and have never been disappointed.
Been looking @ rider backrest (Smart mount) for OE seat. But I'm just gonna wait and just get an Ultimate.

fast eddie
12-22-2013, 08:56 AM
seat looks good but not a fan of loosing a couple of inches :jerkit: will be good for the shorter guys :clap2: right now im happy with what I have.

Bob's 1800
12-22-2013, 09:39 AM
seat looks good but not a fan of loosing a couple of inches :jerkit: will be good for the shorter guys :clap2: right now im happy with what I have.

Ultimate has a King seat that is supposed to make tall riders more comfortable. It will be available some time in Jan 14. I'am 6'4" and this stock riding position is terrible in my opinion.
I wish I would of keep my Victory Hardball with the Ultimate Seat...Best leg room ever.

Bunny
12-25-2013, 07:38 PM
good to hear that the ultimate seat allows you to touch the ground better - i was not flat footed on it and made me nervous about buying the F6B . . . i need about an good inch to get me flat footed with the ultimate and u say it also brings you forward a bit which will work good for me. i have an ultimate seat on my vstar and have the same problem every now and then with my jacket bunching up behind me. . . glad to hear about the seat giving what i needed.

opas ride
12-26-2013, 02:01 PM
The Ultimate seat web-site states that their replacement seat is the same height as the stock seat....Is this correct??..I know the Mustang seat claims you sit 1" lower which works for me as I have a short inseam at barely 29"..I had a 3/4" heal and 1/2" soles put on my riding boots and it really helps a lot at stops, etc....Not sure it is worth it to me, at this point, to spend the bucks for a custom seat....Maybe next year as I blew my budget on a Microsoft tablet for my wife for Christmas.....

Darkknight
12-26-2013, 02:41 PM
The Ultimate seat web-site states that their replacement seat is the same height as the stock seat....Is this correct??..I know the Mustang seat claims you sit 1" lower which works for me as I have a short inseam at barely 29"..I had a 3/4" heal and 1/2" soles put on my riding boots and it really helps a lot at stops, etc....Not sure it is worth it to me, at this point, to spend the bucks for a custom seat....Maybe next year as I blew my budget on a Microsoft tablet for my wife for Christmas.....

Well I could be wrong because the seat height is not an issue for me, but the Ultimate "feels" narrower near the front than the stock unit. That's what makes it feel to me, like it may be easier to touch flat footed. And since you will sit "in" this seat not on it, when you come to a stop you will want to be up near the tank, where it's narrow.

I did move my RIVCO pegs forward a notch after my first ride. I wanted to stretch my legs forward a little bit more and with this seat being more forward, one notch should do the trick.

motozeke
12-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Any pillion feedback on the seat?

motozeke
12-26-2013, 03:12 PM
Oh also, will the side covers come off without removing the seat? Looks to not be the case with the Mustang seat.

jakec
12-26-2013, 07:20 PM
The Ultimate Looks a lot like the shape of a stock Goldwing seat, which I like a lot. I have a Mustang ordered but if it don't work out I know where I'll be looking next. Please keep us informed as you put more miles on it.
Jakec

Wmorgan2k
12-26-2013, 09:18 PM
Don't mean to hijack, that seat looks great but I'm really interested in how you did the speakers for the rear? Is there another thread on that or can you send me some information I really like that and would love to do that on mine. I'm a huge audiophile so these would rock (if they help)

Darkknight
12-29-2013, 06:48 AM
The side covers do come off without removing the seat.

The speakers are mounted to 3/8" thick steel flat stock using the front luggage bolts for mounting points. I believe I had another thread on the rear speakers and which ones DIDN'T work well. The current units non-amplified and seem to work well. Like surround sound. They won't overpower the front set but will help the passenger a bit. Although my passenger tends to snuggle up to me and not sit all the way back where her body might block the sound. They don't interfere with the luggage rack or the passenger backrest when it's used.

Since the Ultimate seat doesn't use the 2 small mounting bolts at the back of the stock seat. I'm thinking of creating a bracket for that area. But for now this works fine. And For $82, I'll throw them away if they ever blow. Blasting for 5 Months so far and it's all good. It's funny to watch people stop working in their yards and look up when I go by listening to the tunes.

GONRDN
12-29-2013, 09:41 AM
I questioned Ultimate about the rear bolts on our seat too. They said the seat pan is a lot stronger then the original seat, so they didn't build a bracket. I'm having no movement back there with a passenger on. So it is 2 extra holes to fill with maybe a speaker bracket.

Wmorgan2k
12-29-2013, 07:34 PM
The side covers do come off without removing the seat.

The speakers are mounted to 3/8" thick steel flat stock using the front luggage bolts for mounting points. I believe I had another thread on the rear speakers and which ones DIDN'T work well. The current units non-amplified and seem to work well. Like surround sound. They won't overpower the front set but will help the passenger a bit. Although my passenger tends to snuggle up to me and not sit all the way back where her body might block the sound. They don't interfere with the luggage rack or the passenger backrest when it's used.

Since the Ultimate seat doesn't use the 2 small mounting bolts at the back of the stock seat. I'm thinking of creating a bracket for that area. But for now this works fine. And For $82, I'll throw them away if they ever blow. Blasting for 5 Months so far and it's all good. It's funny to watch people stop working in their yards and look up when I go by listening to the tunes.

Awesome thank you, if you could PM me the details on what speakers you used and how you wired them in that would be great! Seat looks great by the way!