PDA

View Full Version : First 100 miles

taxfree4
07-31-2022, 02:50 PM
The tire went on Saturday and did the first 100 miles on it, what I found:

1. At a stop the bike is definitely more stable. As those of us with the Russell Day Long know you have to move forward, out of the pocket, and plant your feet, no rush with the new tire.

2. Turning on regular curves I see no difference in counter steering, however, more severe curves require a little more elbow.

3. I can't put it into words but I just feel more "planted" on the road. This was definitely a good move.

4. Always lock your glove box. (See general thread)

willtill
07-31-2022, 06:09 PM
Car tires mounted on the back of a Goldwing (F6B) are the best rubber that you can lay down. So many testimonials. Here and everywhere else. No one has crashed from one or gone up in flames. What is NOT to like?

taxfree4
07-31-2022, 07:44 PM
Car tires mounted on the back of a Goldwing (F6B) are the best rubber that you can lay down. So many testimonials. Here and everywhere else. No one has crashed from one or gone up in flames. What is NOT to like?

I agree completely I am looking forward to Alaska next year. Always lock your glove box.

maxrider
08-01-2022, 03:23 PM
What is not to like, the lousy 20K+ miles I get out of it, being able to run 100 miles on a flat tire with 0 pressure at 50 mph, I feel cheated, and that for $130.

terryboyle
08-04-2022, 11:35 AM
Taxfree4
What is your current recommendation for a rear tire?

taxfree4
08-05-2022, 08:11 AM
I went with the Kumho Ecsta, which is not a run flat, but I am by far not an expert. There are others on this forum that know a LOT more about this subject like BIGLRY, willtill so there is a chance they'll read this and give a recommendation. You can also PM them

tenxxx
08-05-2022, 06:02 PM
I have a Yokohama on mine. got the size closest to the size of the oem bridge stone.
A tad wider and bigger so the speedo is in sinc with a gps. Nice patch of rubber on the ground in corners.
It is not a run flat.

taxfree4
08-06-2022, 09:58 AM
I have a Yokohama on mine. got the size closest to the size of the oem bridge stone.
A tad wider and bigger so the speedo is in sinc with a gps. Nice patch of rubber on the ground in corners.
It is not a run flat.

Thank you for that helpful info

taxfree4
08-25-2022, 07:22 AM
One thing I did notice, when this tire was brand new on very sharp turns there was a little drift, very slight, but now, since I've put over 1000 miles, which may have rounded the edges slightly, nothing.

BIGLRY
08-25-2022, 10:31 AM
One thing I did notice, when this tire was brand new on very sharp turns there was a little drift, very slight, but now, since I've put over 1000 miles, which may have rounded the edges slightly, nothing.

+1 Yep I have found that out on all darkside tires I have run.
On my steel steeds, especially my VTX1800 the darkside tires get better with more mileage and also finding the psi sweet spot in air pressure is the key.

taxfree4
08-25-2022, 12:02 PM
+1 Yep I have found that out on all darkside tires I have run.
On my steel steeds, especially my VTX1800 the darkside tires get better with more mileage and also finding the psi sweet spot in air pressure is the key.

Exactly, I had to play with the pressure to find that spot but with plenty of riding you able to dial in to the exact point where its not too bouncy or mushy.

maxrider
09-07-2022, 03:22 PM
Pirelli Cinturato P-7 A/S treadwear 500 run flat.195/55R16 R-F

Like the softer rubber, Pirelli is known for, it is a bit more sticky, but the trade-off is fewer miles on the wear ( I suspect it lasts me 20K miles).

Go RUNFLAT no good reason not to, and it can be the money, this tire cost me $130, peanuts for the miles, and most of all the SAFETY and stability you get with this tire.

BIGLRY
09-07-2022, 03:51 PM
Pirelli Cinturato P-7 A/S treadwear 500 run flat.195/55R16 R-F

Like the softer rubber, Pirelli is known for, it is a bit more sticky, but the trade-off is fewer miles on the wear ( I suspect it lasts me 20K miles).

Go RUNFLAT no good reason not to, and it can be the money, this tire cost me $130, peanuts for the miles, and most of all the SAFETY and stability you get with this tire.mmmm maybe I'll try that one after you put a few thousand miles on it and give your dependable feedback.:8:

maxrider
09-07-2022, 10:26 PM
So far I have 7K on them now, and on the previous F6B (sold)I had close to 10K and for all of them I run them at 40 PSI, give or take1-2 psi depending on the TPMS and hand gauge/ pump reading.

From the looks of it, and what I read of others is that 20K is the ballpark norm.

But most impressive is the handling in twisties, I feel more confident with the extra rubber footprint in the rear, so yeah after 17K riding with this tire in the rear I say it is a winner for me.

maxrider
09-10-2022, 10:18 PM
So I just got done reading this post about the P-7, and the cons the author described.

I thought I share this with you all, it might have some credibility in the region you ride, and or be advised if you go to this environment, just FYI.

https://www.gl1800riders.com/threads/pirelli-cinturato-p7-runflat-report.243991/#post-3092983

I have not encountered any of his cons, although I have been in several other states, and in different weather conditions.

Just thought I share, in case you missed it.

taxfree4
09-11-2022, 02:40 AM
So I just got done reading this post about the P-7, and the cons the author described.

I thought I share this with you all, it might have some credibility in the region you ride, and or be advised if you go to this environment, just FYI.

https://www.gl1800riders.com/threads/pirelli-cinturato-p7-runflat-report.243991/#post-3092983

I have not encountered any of his cons, although I have been in several other states, and in different weather conditions.

Just thought I share, in case you missed it.

Very informative max thanks for that. Have you ever had the P-1 on your bike, or ridden a bike with the P-1 on it just to compare.

maxrider
09-11-2022, 07:26 AM
No Mike I have not ridden one, nor do I know somebody in person who has, so I have only this contra from an old board posting.

I feel confident with the amount of speed I have applied while in twisties, in several states, and in different road conditions to say that I never have encountered a loss of traction.

I would certainly not want to ride a tire that manifests those issues, so now 12-13K miles into this tire use, all I can state is the tire is not losing road traction for me.

And maybe I'm not that type of aggressive rider who applies that much torque in turns causing the rear to spin out, and have been riding wrong for the past 52 years :)

BIGLRY
09-12-2022, 02:02 PM
No Mike I have not ridden one, nor do I know somebody in person who has, so I have only this contra from an old board posting.

I feel confident with the amount of speed I have applied while in twisties, in several states, and in different road conditions to say that I never have encountered a loss of traction.

I would certainly not want to ride a tire that manifests those issues, so now 12-13K miles into this tire use, all I can state is the tire is not losing road traction for me.

And maybe I'm not that type of aggressive rider who applies that much torque in turns causing the rear to spin out, and have been riding wrong for the past 52 years :) Yea Right...I know you Max ;)LOL
I have never had a darkside tire break traction unless I wanted it to, but then I never twist up the wick.......damn now my nose is getting longer.:shhh:

maxrider
09-12-2022, 04:09 PM
:) Yeah don't be saying that fast, fun, friendly, remember that.

BIGLRY
09-13-2022, 12:35 PM
:) Yeah don't be saying that fast, fun, friendly, remember that.Yeap!;roughrider;

taxfree4
09-15-2022, 07:25 AM

And maybe I'm not that type of aggressive rider who applies that much torque in turns causing the rear to spin out, and have been riding wrong for the past 52 years :)

Max, when its time to replace the rear would you go with the same tire or would venture to another.

maxrider
09-15-2022, 09:34 AM
Mike I'm kind of old school at times, I do try to keep an open mind and entertain new technology, and apply change when needed, however on tires (DD) there is in my opinion very little substantive evidence of facts written.

Me going on the little evidence presented and being new to DD, I adopted the Perelli and took the gamble.

It did pay off for my use and is not indicative for other folks by any means.

However, I would strongly recommend this to my kids and friends, should they go that route for tires, and I myself will return to this tire.

taxfree4
09-15-2022, 09:49 AM
Mike I'm kind of old school at times, I do try to keep an open mind and entertain new technology, and apply change when needed, however on tires (DD) there is in my opinion very little substantive evidence of facts written.

Me going on the little evidence presented and being new to DD, I adopted the Perelli and took the gamble.

It did pay off for my use and is not indicative for other folks by any means.

However, I would strongly recommend this to my kids and friends, should they go that route for tires, and I myself will return to this tire.

Old school is good school, it has gotten us this far. Thanks for the feedback, it is an interesting concept for me and whether it is just in my head I just feel more "grounded" because of car tire. Whether that translates to better riding, who knows but taken a curve at higher speeds, with no apprehension seems, to me anyway, an improvement over my previous motorcycle tire. Once I put the Battleax on the front I can get an even better sense of the whole experience.

maxrider
09-15-2022, 09:56 AM
Exactly what I did, and the same experience I (and many other DD riders)got.

Hard to argue with success :).

And it ain't just in your head, it is REAL for sure:).

BIGLRY
09-16-2022, 04:14 PM
Exactly what I did, and the same experience I (and many other DD riders)got.

Hard to argue with success :).

And it ain't just in your head, it is REAL for sure:).+1;roughrider;

taxfree4
03-29-2023, 05:52 PM
+1;roughrider;

Larry, your mailbox is full, time to dump

BIGLRY
03-29-2023, 06:23 PM
Larry, your mailbox is full, time to dump
done...thanks for the reminder.