PDA

View Full Version : Northern Newfoundland and the F6B

terryboyle
08-04-2022, 10:12 AM
I am planning a trip to the northern tip of Newfoundland next year. Has anyone been out that way?
What were the roads like?

I saw in the 100,000+ mile thread that someone has been to Prudhoe Bay in Alaska with his and this is inspiring me to take the F6B to L'anse aux Meadow where the Vikings had a settlement in NF.

Thanks in advance

F6Dave
08-04-2022, 08:27 PM
That sounds like a great trip! Several years ago some guys I rode with took a trip from Colorado to Nova Scotia. They enjoyed the ride, but mentioned that they wore out their rain suits!

They also talked about some very long days. This was back when the 55 MPH speed limit was in effect throughout the US, and a 500 mile day could take hours longer than it does now. I rode from Vancouver Island to Calgary in 1980, and it took 3 very long days as the speed limits weren't much higher in Canada than the US at that time. What are Canada's speed limits like today?

terryboyle
08-04-2022, 08:56 PM
That sounds like a great trip! Several years ago some guys I rode with took a trip from Colorado to Nova Scotia. They enjoyed the ride, but mentioned that they wore out their rain suits!

They also talked about some very long days. This was back when the 55 MPH speed limit was in effect throughout the US, and a 500 mile day could take hours longer than it does now. I rode from Vancouver Island to Calgary in 1980, and it took 3 very long days as the speed limits weren't much higher in Canada than the US at that time. What are Canada's speed limits like today?

faster highways are 110km/h, regular highways 100, and many 90.

It’s certainly not high speed. People routinely run 10-15 km/h over the limit if conditions are good.

F6Dave
08-04-2022, 09:54 PM
That's about the same as it was during my rides through Canada in the 1980s. Luckily the 55 MPH limit was repealed later in the 1980s. It was a strange time with those ridiculously low limits. Many people considered a radar detector and CB radio essential travel accessories.

Derek
01-14-2023, 08:55 AM
Did you make it to the west coast on Newfoundland? I'm planning on going the first week of August.