PDA

View Full Version : Mustang Seat Reviews

Gperson
12-22-2013, 10:15 AM
Season's Greeting's and Merry Christmas Everyone!! :114:

I would like to hear from all of you who have purchased the new Mustang seat. I have read all of the threads so far regarding how the seat had to be re done and how Mustang took are of the fitment issues.... BUT would really like to hear some real life experiences regarding seat comfort, posture and overall like or dislike of the seat.

Thanks in advance for your time, posts and pics..

Wishing everyone all the best for a healthy and prosperous New Year!!!

Ride safe,
G

Texas TC
12-22-2013, 11:54 AM
I purchased my Mustang seat through an aftermarket source . It arrived and did not fit properly. Contacted Mustang and they emailed me a return label immediately. Sent the seat back to them with instructions that I needed it back for a planned trip from North Texas to Anthem, Az.

When the new seat was available, they sent it to me UPS 2nd day air to satisfy my schedule. I was on the phone with them a second time during installation. To get the front seat tab to fit under the tab on the bike, I had to bend the front seat tab down a bit and the tab on the bike required bending up. It was not the simple installation I had hoped for but it was accomplished with a bit of work.
I loaded the bike for my planned trip.
I departed my home at 4:15 am planning on riding 750-800 miles and spend the night. However, the seat and the ride was so enjoyable that I rode straight through even with a stretch of strong side winds and rain across Arizona.
I spent Thanksgiving week with the kids and grandkids and rode straight through from Anthem to my home.
I love the mustang seat. The customer service I received, even after not buying direct from them was outstanding. I had thought I would require handlebar risers but it is extremely comfortable with the stock handlebar location for me (6' with taller torso and shorter legs). I use Kury mini arms highway pegs and they worked exceptionally well with the Mustang seat.
The seat itself is harder than any of the previous 10 Mustang seats I have owned. The firm seat and generous lumbar support provided by the 8" back support rise makes for a very comfortable combination, even on long rides. My stops on both of the long rides were anywhere between 125-185 miles and I never got any symptoms of sore back or shoulders. I had experienced both of those issues with the stock seat. The lower seat position also improved the function of my OEM Honda tall windshield. Wind was diverted about 2" above my Bell half helmet.

Overall, the Mustang seat is a quality seat from a company who provides exceptional customer service. It is extremely comfortable and the seating position is much improved over stock. Drawbacks are difficulty of installation and the inability to remove the side panels without removing the seat. In my opinion, the improvement in comfort and quality outweighs the drawbacks by a large margin. (Thanks Kevin for being there with support through pm).

bobbyf6b
12-22-2013, 12:15 PM
I love the looks and reviews of how comfortable the seat is, but it's a real bummer you have to get tools out to adjust the rear suspension. I'm still on the fence.

1951vbs
12-22-2013, 12:27 PM
Texas TC,
Excellent review. Thanks!

Phantom
12-22-2013, 12:33 PM
:cheers:
Texas, nice write up.

Mustang Seats is one of our new proud sponsors for 2014.
Look for their logo on the Home page after January.

Gperson
12-22-2013, 01:53 PM
Hey Texas TC,
Great review and pics. Thank You!!

I called Mustang and questioned them about any problems removing side panels or opening saddle bags and was assured that was not a problem....
It is now disturbing to hear that you have to remove the seat to gain access to the side panels...
I may have to re think my thinking :icon_doh:

Thanks again for your time and input.

How about the other Mustang seat owners out there??...

Steve 0080
12-22-2013, 02:02 PM
Bobby,,, on my rear suspension I just set it and forget it.... how many times do you change yours ???

Texas TC
12-22-2013, 02:57 PM
Hey Texas TC,
Great review and pics. Thank You!!

I called Mustang and questioned them about any problems removing side panels or opening saddle bags and was assured that was not a problem....
It is now disturbing to hear that you have to remove the seat to gain access to the side panels...
I may have to re think my thinking :icon_doh:

Thanks again for your time and input.

How about the other Mustang seat owners out there??...
No issues at all with the saddlebag releases. They line up perfectly and operate the way they did with the stock seat. I added my battery tender cord when I bought the bike so the left side does not need to be pulled until I need a new battery. I have never adjusted my suspension. It was perfect when I bought the bike and it was perfect even loaded down for the trip. I guess that's why pulling the side panels is no big deal for me. Interesting that Mustang feels the panels are accessible. This seat tucks in much tighter than the stock seat due to its' narrower dimensions. I have not tried, but loosening the seat bolts might allow panel removal without completely removing the seat. I might check that out the first time I need to remove the panels.

I just really don't know why that is a big deal to other riders since it is not a big deal at all to me and I do all the maintenance on my motorcycle. I wonder if the side panels are removable on other aftermarket seats since all the discussion has been pointed toward the Mustang seat?

opas ride
12-22-2013, 03:00 PM
Do you have to remove the Mustang seat to access the side panels for sure?? Some have said yes, others no....I am considering one next year but don't really want to take the seat off each time I want to get under the panels...Don't change the rear suspension very often, if at all, and have pig-tail for Battery Tender so maybe not such an issue....I intend to wait until spring and by then maybe more riders can post their opinions about seat issues...Like the 1" lower deal although.....I'm kinda short and old.....Good question about aftermarket seats...Ultimate has a great seat, so I understand, but it is the same height as stock and I do not know if one must remove the seat to access side panels..Someone out there makes stainless steel/chrome? aftermarket bolts to make seat removal easier without rusting issues...Saw them on the site somewhere...Looks like they may make things a little better to fit..I had my bike custom painted at dealer and someone did not line up the seat and saddlebag cables correctly and the bags would not open...Aligning these cables after seat removal and installation is critical, especially if the bolts are too tight.....

bobbyf6b
12-22-2013, 05:38 PM
Bobby,,, on my rear suspension I just set it and forget it.... how many times do you change yours ???

I change it every time I have a passenger. I like it softer when solo and firmer when two up. That's why it's adjustable.

Darkknight
12-22-2013, 08:36 PM
I purchased my Mustang seat through an aftermarket source . It arrived and did not fit properly. Contacted Mustang and they emailed me a return label immediately. Sent the seat back to them with instructions that I needed it back for a planned trip from North Texas to Anthem, Az.

When the new seat was available, they sent it to me UPS 2nd day air to satisfy my schedule. I was on the phone with them a second time during installation. To get the front seat tab to fit under the tab on the bike, I had to bend the front seat tab down a bit and the tab on the bike required bending up. It was not the simple installation I had hoped for but it was accomplished with a bit of work.
I loaded the bike for my planned trip.
I departed my home at 4:15 am planning on riding 750-800 miles and spend the night. However, the seat and the ride was so enjoyable that I rode straight through even with a stretch of strong side winds and rain across Arizona.
I spent Thanksgiving week with the kids and grandkids and rode straight through from Anthem to my home.
I love the mustang seat. The customer service I received, even after not buying direct from them was outstanding. I had thought I would require handlebar risers but it is extremely comfortable with the stock handlebar location for me (6' with taller torso and shorter legs). I use Kury mini arms highway pegs and they worked exceptionally well with the Mustang seat.
The seat itself is harder than any of the previous 10 Mustang seats I have owned. The firm seat and generous lumbar support provided by the 8" back support rise makes for a very comfortable combination, even on long rides. My stops on both of the long rides were anywhere between 125-185 miles and I never got any symptoms of sore back or shoulders. I had experienced both of those issues with the stock seat. The lower seat position also improved the function of my OEM Honda tall windshield. Wind was diverted about 2" above my Bell half helmet.

Overall, the Mustang seat is a quality seat from a company who provides exceptional customer service. It is extremely comfortable and the seating position is much improved over stock. Drawbacks are difficulty of installation and the inability to remove the side panels without removing the seat. In my opinion, the improvement in comfort and quality outweighs the drawbacks by a large margin. (Thanks Kevin for being there with support through pm).

TTC, What is that unit that has the Blue screen shots of MPH, Distance etc?
Is that mounted on a Ram Mount on the left handlebar or in the center?

Texas TC
12-22-2013, 09:12 PM
It is an old Garmin Nuvi 255W GPS I have had for years. It is RAM mounted on the left handlebar. I power it through the 12v outlet in the glovebox. I have tree RAM mounts on my bars to mount GPS, drink holder, and cellphone holder. Great setup for touring.

yellowskeeter1
12-25-2013, 09:09 PM
I have not had a lot of time to be on the road on the bike with the new seat after Mustang returned it from the issue, but got some time on it this week and love it. 6'3" and the position and back support is incredible. comfort is a 10, makes the stocker about a 6. I would highly recommend this one!
Kenny
www.g-spotservices.com